Tarp
    Off my old tent
    Insulation
    -5 Sleepybag.
    Suspension
    Web straps

Hanging Indoors

So, how do you do it?

I've seen references to doors and other things, but I can't picture how you'd string one up. I did have my old mesh hammock up briefly down in the cellar, tied to a ceiling joist and a pipe at about the right height, but it was a bit awkward to get in and out of. (the angles were all wrong.)

I'm thinking I should get a couple of industrial eyebolts and drive them into the wall studs at the appropriate distance, but what say you all?
    I prefer to remain an enigma.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In our bedroom, our hammocks are attached to the ceiling joists. On the large hammocks, this is pretty easy since they like lots of sag. On a typical camping hammock, it wouldn't be as practical.

In my gear room, I've got some chain that runs from the ceiling joist to the footer of the wall. The chain is vertical and there is one in each corner of the room. I use these vertical chains as trees by simply clipping my biner into one of the chain links. Super easy and will accommodate any hammock I want to put there. The distance between 'trees' is right around 12'. There is a video on it somewhere around here.

Here it is:

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    There are a bunch of great threads that discuss this if you use the search function.

I used two big eyebolts, the largest ones that Lowe's carries. I never had a problem but some discourage this.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    12 x 12
    Insulation
    Pad & Pack
    Suspension
    Rings & Straps
    Images
    I occasionally hang from the top hinges of doors in my place when I need a fix. they're about 6ft up but you gotta be lucky when it comes to distance between doors. Wouldn't recommend it for steady use though.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I really like Cannibal's solution. I've never felt comfortable attaching much to the side wall 2x4's. Plenty of folks do it with success (usually by spanning a short piece of wood across several wall joists) but I just don't like it much. It puts several hundred pounds (or more) of force pulling in on walls that weren't meant for that direction of pull. I much prefer forces pulling up or down, exactly like what Cannibal has.

Two of my kids hang full time indoors and we use the Vario hammock stand for them. I'd definitely recommend those for the looks and simplicity - or a TurtleDog stand if you need the extra height. The Vario is great but it doesn't go high enough (without some special extensions) for an 11-foot hammock, which I really like. A portable stand allows us to move things around easily and not create any permanent fixtures in the walls.

Last edited by breyman; 12-28-2012 at 23:04.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I guess I'm an idiot, 'cause I just screwed a couple of Home Depot eye bolts into the ceiling and hung from those. I put them about 9.5 ft. apart, but I'm not using a full hammock suspension, just a couple of continuous loops and a soft shackle. The short distance kind of makes the hammock ridgeline obsolete. The ceiling joists are 1x8, and I weigh 160 lbs.

If I weighed more, or was putting weird sideways/lateral strain on the wall or ceiling joists, or if somebody else who could sue me was gonna lie in it, I'd probably come up with a better solution.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    I'd recommend either the Turtledog or Tutlelady stand for an indoor hang. Either of those has the flexibility and doesn't pose a chance to damage your house (or your landlords if your a renter).
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    I'd recommend either the Turtledog or Tutlelady stand for an indoor hang. Either of those has the flexibility and doesn't pose a chance to damage your house (or your landlords if your a renter).
    I always thought one of the beauties of indoor hammock hanging was the ability to put the hammock away when you're not sleeping and regain living space that you can use any time you're not sleeping.

Imagine all the living space you could regain by getting rid of the beds in your house and replacing them with hammocks. A three-bedroom home with three queen bed would have 300 more feet of living space during the day, eh?

Stands are a bit more hassle to put away and set up, from what I've read.

Hammock
    kammok roo/ diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    kelty noahs tarp12
    Insulation
    eno vulcan
    Suspension
    python straps
    Here's my setup it works like a charm and I am not a light dude I have had me and my best friend in my hammock while swinging and it was rock solid . between the two of us we're about 500 pounds. All I mounted to were double 2x6 studs next to my closet and a exterior block wall on the other side. The closet side is attached with 3.5 inch deck screws with liquid nails in pre drilled holes and the other side s attached with 2.5 inch tapcon screws
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I'm lucky enough to have concrete walls.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast