Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Shewie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    UKHamm/HG/Unspon
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Posts
    1,678

    CCF pad & UQ together

    I'm guessing this has been asked a million times before so apologies for that, if anyone's got a link to an existing thread please put the link up and I'll take a look.

    I got into a discussion with some friends the other day about using a CCF pad to boost the performance of a synthetic UQ, I've never tried the combination but I hope some of you guys have in the past. My thoughts were that the CCF would block out your radiated heat and therefore prevent the UQ from working as well, the other side of the argument was that it would help boost the overall performance when used together.

    The quilt isn't mine as I use down now, but I did have the same one once upon a time, I've happily used it down to -11*C (12*F) and could see it reaching it's limit around -15*C (5*F). The friend is heading to Lithuania for a hanging trip soon and temperatures are expected around -20*C (-5*F).

    Would packing a CCF pad be a good idea or would it make matters worse?

  2. #2
    Dos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hammock
    HHUltra
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    DogBun
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    Posts
    2,155
    Images
    5
    check this new thread out I found very interesting:

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=Lattice
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In some mysterious way woods have never
    seemed to me to be static things.
    In physical terms, I move through them;
    yet in metaphysical ones,
    they seem to move through me. -
    John Fowles


    GA --> ME '12

  3. #3
    Shewie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    UKHamm/HG/Unspon
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    check this new thread out I found very interesting:

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=Lattice

    Interesting idea, I can't see any mention of using it with a UQ though? I can see the gaps would reduce condensation issues and it sounds like it's pretty comfy too.

  4. #4
    DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web & buckles
    Posts
    1,578
    Images
    2
    Most know I am a ccf pad fan. In my experience the condensation issue decreases as it gets colder. I believe this is because the ccf is too warm for the temps people use it. Anyway, using ccf and uq together does work well. Try it out.

  5. #5
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    .......... My thoughts were that the CCF would block out your radiated heat and therefore prevent the UQ from working as well, the other side of the argument was that it would help boost the overall performance when used together.

    The quilt isn't mine as I use down now, but I did have the same one once upon a time, I've happily used it down to -11*C (12*F) and could see it reaching it's limit around -15*C (5*F). The friend is heading to Lithuania for a hanging trip soon and temperatures are expected around -20*C (-5*F).

    Would packing a CCF pad be a good idea or would it make matters worse?
    Adding a pad adds R value , just like using a thicker quilt adds R value. If your heat output is not making it into the layers of your UQ, it must mean your heat is staying near your back instead of disappearing down below. If your pad is not thick enough to block all of your body heat from escaping below, then that heat will travel on down into the UQ in a normal fashion.

    IOW, I can not see how not losing your body heat down below so that it can warm up your UQ can actually be a problem, though some will disagree with me. On the practical side, many a cold back or butt has been cured by adding a pad to an UQ. It has saved me more than once when I found out I was below the abilities of my IX UQ, and it has saved many others from a miserable night also.

    One big caveat! If your pad somehow interferes with the fit and "seal" of your UQ, it might not help or might even make matters worse. I suspect, but do not know, that wider, larger ( but not thicker ) pads and very stiff pads might be more prone to that UQ fit interference. Also, do not forget the multi-use possibilities of a pad: emergency go to ground, sit pad, fire fanner, pack frame, etc etc.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  6. #6
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,226
    Images
    207
    I'm currently testing a new hammock with a pad sleeve. It works great, but the pad is only 20" wide so my shoulders got cold at 27F. Adding both quilt and pad is a great combination and yes it works.

  7. #7
    Shewie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    UKHamm/HG/Unspon
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Most know I am a ccf pad fan. In my experience the condensation issue decreases as it gets colder. I believe this is because the ccf is too warm for the temps people use it. Anyway, using ccf and uq together does work well. Try it out.
    I will one day, if we ever get a winter instead of just rain


    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Adding a pad adds R value , just like using a thicker quilt adds R value. If your heat output is not making it into the layers of your UQ, it must mean your heat is staying near your back instead of disappearing down below. If your pad is not thick enough to block all of your body heat from escaping below, then that heat will travel on down into the UQ in a normal fashion.
    Thanks BB, interesting thoughts. In the case of the UQ alone not being sufficient, adding the pad increases the R-value of the combined system. But how likely is it that any heat coming from the UQ passes back through the CCF and heats the body? No doubt there's a formula somebody's worked out So in effect, if the heat cannot pass back through the CCF then the area of UQ underneath it is not doing anything. Or is there more of an ambient temperature increase, say down the sides?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I can not see how not losing your body heat down below so that it can warm up your UQ can actually be a problem, though some will disagree with me. On the practical side, many a cold back or butt has been cured by adding a pad to an UQ. It has saved me more than once when I found out I was below the abilities of my IX UQ, and it has saved many others from a miserable night also.
    I also use a piece of Reflectix under my butt on really cold nights, my Snugfit could do with a couple more ounces around the butt area The piece I use is only 18x18" so it doesn't restrict the work of the UQ much.


    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I'm currently testing a new hammock with a pad sleeve. It works great, but the pad is only 20" wide so my shoulders got cold at 27F. Adding both quilt and pad is a great combination and yes it works.
    Thanks Derek, so you've noticed the difference at low temps?


    Thanks for the input folks, this one I've always been curious about

  8. #8
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post

    Thanks Derek, so you've noticed the difference at low temps?

    Be interesting to see what Derek says, but I'm willing to bet a dollar he says Yes. I have had the difference be from "dang my back is cold" to " oh man that is nice and warm" within a couple of minutes of adding a pad to some UQs that I pushed beyond their ability.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    Posts
    225
    My thoughts were that the CCF would block out your radiated heat and therefore prevent the UQ from working as well, the other side of the argument was that it would help boost the overall performance when used together.
    Assuming a good fit, more insulation = more warmth, so the UQ will help but the foam will delay the warmth so the hanger will not feel the instantaneous warmth when the UQ is repositioned in the middle of the night.

    If the fit is poor, that is the same as not having the insulation, but that is true for every type of insulation, not just CCF, but any down or synthetic also. Softer, more expensive foams will seal easier, so there is more cost and more value to using cottage vendor's CCF than the stiffest, cheapest, big box store foam. There is the problem, post "CCF" and one is thinking of good EVA foam while another is thinking of Walmart foam.

  10. #10
    DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web & buckles
    Posts
    1,578
    Images
    2
    I actually have found the cheap walmart ccf to be warmer than the "better" stuff. It is stiffer, so I think it compresses less. I first noticed the difference with sit pads. The WM gave me a warm tushie very fast, while the other stuff I just wasn't cold.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •