Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Thanks for the tips and thoughts everyone - I'm anxious to get out again and give the figure 9's another go, and play with the tarp pitching options. I also really think the grip-clips should fix my sliding pad problem quite nicely. I'm also VERY tempted to pick up a Clikstand for my trangia, as it seems like a really nice way to make the stove a lot more efficient without much of a weight/bulk penalty.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images

Lightbulb

Mustard (et all),

I think it was headchange4u (trust but verify) who came up with an excellent way to use Figure 9's on tarp and hammock guylines/tieouts. It involves attaching the small Figure 9's to the stakes with small pieces of para-cord or the small lines that often come with MSR Groundhog stakes or others. This in lieu of having the Figure 9 somewhere on the tarp or in-line. Once I adopted this setup my ease of use of the small Figure 9's increased dramatically. Before I was always adjusting the 9. Now it's a fixed anchor on the stake, and I can tension away! I always finish off with a half-hitch for safety. Search the threads for Figure 9 pics, or "home-made tarp tensioners". l also use larger Figure 9's on the tarp ridge tie outs with excellent success. NOTE: REI reflective cord makes for a lot less tripping over tie-outs in the dark!

Javaman

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    ... the figure 9's would keep coming lose, and everything would lose tension. Honestly, the figure 9s did not impress me on this outing. I ended up finishing them off with slipped half hitches, which seemed to improve the holding power. I also haven't completely decided on the best way to connect the whole guyline setup with the figure 9s and will be playing with that more.

I also used my Trangia alky stove to do all of our cooking and heating of water, and it was very inefficient on fuel, due to the wind. The little windscreen ...
    Removed the JRB guy line tensioner on the Spinntex tarp and replaced with a set of AirCore and MiniLocks. Holds nice even in real gusty conditions. Light, quick adjustments and simple. On the SWT silnylon tarp I use the JRB tensioners and MiniLocks to keep things tight. They seem to absorb the gusts allowing for a secure hold.

I use a Trangia stove with the Clikstand/windscreen combo. The fuel savings probably makes up for added weight.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    I use the small fig 9's on all my tarps, last March they held their tension in a gale force 8 to 9 which blew in overnight while we were on a small island of the West coast of Scotland, one tent and one bivi set-up were blown to shreds.

My set-up is this;

I cut 12" lengths of bungee create a loop and attach one to each of the tarp pullouts with a larks head.

I attach a mini caribiner to the bungee. (This means I can switch the guylines to another tarp very quickly)

I then attach my guyline this stuff 4mm diameter reflective guyline with a simple bowline to the biner.

The guyline is run to a peg, either glow in the dark fibreglass or aluminium nails, I try to attach the fig 9 to the guyline about 3 ft from the peg, and make sure its set up so that I'm pulling towards the peg not the tarp, I create 3-4" of tension on the bungee, and normally never need to touch it again.

Its worked well for me, but as you are probably aware everyone has a favourite system, its a case of trying things and then modifying it to suit you, good luck, trying various types of suspension and guyline systems is part of the fun.

Stephen
    Last edited by Gailainne; 01-05-2009 at 12:24.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I 3rd the overhand slip knot on the 9s, I do it everytime & now it isn't even a concious thought. I have 8 figure 9s attached to my tarp: 2 permanently attached to the ridgeline & 2 on each side attached with mini biners & 1 each side tied on with "real thin" climbers accy cord. I have yet to have any of them slip, even in known 50+ MPH gusts. AND, the rare middle of the night "I need to tighten up the tarp" chore takes a few seconds. At each corner (ground level) I attach a homemade JRB tensioner & that really helps hold the tarp snug.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.