Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62
  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    64
    Grizz, what kind of wristies are you wearing? I am looking for something similar.

    Thanks,
    Chad

  2. #52
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by bab5freak View Post
    Grizz, what kind of wristies are you wearing? I am looking for something similar.

    Thanks,
    Chad
    Those are DIY wristies, slightly modified from this original design, to eliminate the need for finger loops. If you're a DIY kind of guy I can post (probably re-post) a pattern. There have been other DIY wristie postings, I'm thinking Knotty maybe posted instructions on making a set pretty close to my design. Quick search didn't turn it up though.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

  3. #53
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,176
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    ...I'm thinking Knotty maybe posted instructions on making a set pretty close to my design. Quick search didn't turn it up though.
    Here you go...Knotty's Wrist Gauntlets (Wristies®) Instructions

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Self-inflating pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Gmcttr, you seem to always find the right link in just about every thread.

  5. #55
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,176
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudedice View Post
    Gmcttr, you seem to always find the right link in just about every thread.
    That one didn't come easy. A google site search didn't find it. I found the photos I had saved to my computer which gave me an approximate date. Went to "Advanced Search/User Name: Knotty/Date: A year ago and earlier/Keyword(s): wrist"...bingo.

  6. #56
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564

    back to numbers, you probably want to move on...

    Back in this post Loki asked a good question about interpretation of the statistics coming out of the simulator, to wit, didn't the simulations show after all that you could indeed hang from more trees using a short minimum span. I nattered on in reply about perception and the inability to tell the difference if what you were doing is showing up for a hang and randomly poked around until you find a pair of trees.

    Interactions via PM with someone suggests that that point was not understood, appreciated, or believed, so I did some more thinking about trying to quantify my conclusion. I'll go that this issue again from the point of view of statistical testing. Most of you will want to wander onto the next new post....

    Statistical hypothesis testing takes data and tries the answer the question "can this data be explained by the natural inherent randomness of data sampling, or is it so strongly out of line with inherent randomness that it is highly unlikely to be due to that randomness?" When the pollsters are doing what they do during an election, they are considering the possibility that candidate A actually has 75% of the popular vote, and just by dumb random luck their sampling yields 50%. That's so unlikely they can reject the hypothesis.

    So applied here I did the following thought experiment. Suppose hanger A goes into an area with whoopie slings, randomly samples hang sites until finding one, and we record the number of sites visited until success. Call that S1. Another time hanger B shows up, same place, can hang between closer trees, and takes S2 tries to find a spot. The sum S1+S2 is a statistic that says something about the probability distribution faced by hanger A, and the one face by hanger B.

    Now this is the important point, and one that I tried to make when I was nattering on in response to Loki's question --- it's hard to distinguish between getting a hang at a site with probability 0.41 from getting a hang with probability 0.37 when all the data you've got to use in the analysis is your single experience. In the thought experiment I'm setting up, two experiences. Twice the data, twice the fun.

    We can set up a test that, based on the value of S1+S2, says that with probability 0.95 or greater says the statistic is unlikely to have come from samples with the same hang success probability. In particular, for the case in the video of 100 trees, if pW=pS = 0.41 OR if pW=pS=0.37, in both cases there's less than a 5% chance (a.k.a. 95% confidence) of seeing S1+S2 be 11 or larger. If the chance of S1+S2 exceeding 11 were a lot larger when pS=0.41 and pW=0.37 as per the video, then we'd expect the statistic test based on two samples to show the difference.

    But it doesn't. 0.41 and 0.37 are too close together to tell apart with this little amount of data. Rigorously, the probability of a geometric sample with success probability 0.41 added to a geometric with success probability 0.37 exceeding 11 is only about 5%. Take home message --- statistically, based on two sampled hangs --- you cannot tell experientially that one suspension set up is better than the other. The same is true of the 250 tree case. You could make that case if you gathered lots more from many more hangs. Just not with one.

    Would that I got out hanging often that I got enough data to tell the difference over the long term.

    here ended the 1st hammock statistics 101 lesson
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

  7. #57
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,356
    Images
    57
    That's great Grizz. I'm reminded of a quote from the movie "Anchorman, the legend of Ron Burgundy" that goes:

    "They've done studies and 60% of the time, it works every time."
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pilot mt, NC
    Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    Campmore 9x12
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single ring
    Posts
    303
    Images
    7
    Now I can't see the forest for the trees.

  9. #59
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    Now I can't see the forest for the trees.
    pretty easy to get the general picture : lies, **** lies, and statistics.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

  10. #60
    New Member auggiedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    st. augustine, fl.
    Hammock
    DD
    Tarp
    DD
    Insulation
    3/4 hammock gearUQ
    Suspension
    tree hugger straps
    Posts
    32
    great video but it seems my previous comment about dutch clip safety has been removed without my permission...hmmm??

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •