Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Hi Gothmog & welcome. I'll make two suggestions. First there are hundreds of ways to hang that are all good. Play with them. Second, I'd order a 600' spool of amsteel. It's cheaper that way and I'm sure you'll want more soon.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by gothmog View Post
    ...What is a good material to use for the sock? I read that canvas is good, but I'm going to be placing an order with DIY gear supply anyway, so would like to get something from there. Would 70d be appropriate? ...
    Cotton canvas is only recommended for use in dry and very cold (let's say 15*F and lower) temperatures.

I would go with a lighter weight material than 70d. Not for weight, but because it needs to be breathable for condensation control and because you don't want to put your head in a "plastic" bag. I'd also use a pure finished (non-calendared) material for the same reasons. I suspect there will be those that disagree with this, but that's my .02.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Well, I'd love to get a spool, but think I'm gonna have to wait due to expense of everything else. Hows this sound for a list:

Hennessy Hex rainfly
    2x 90x156 tablecloths
    6x MSR ground hog stakes, 2 fo spare
    30yds 1/8 amsteel blue for whoopies
    30yds 7/64 amsteel blue for adjustable ridgeline
    8yds no see um netting for fronkey style bugnet
    8yds 1.1 30d ripstop for fronkey style sock
    34 feet 1/8 shock cord
    6x elliptical cordlock, 3 each for bugnet and sock
    14 feet 1.5" poly webbing
    gutermann tera tex 35 to sew it all up

all told, roughly $240 shipped

I know a lot of it is overkill, but like I said, its for motorcycle camping so weight is not an issue. My wife may join me on occasion and I'd like it to stand up to both of us in it, with some possible "extra curricular activity". I'm gonna double up the tablecloths, and sew 3 sides together and leave 1 side open to be able to slip in a pad, and sew channels into the ends to run 550 cord through to gather ends. I'll larks head the whoopies under the "knots", and marlin spike hitch to the webbing tree huggers. Plan on doing a fronkey bugnet, and a fronkey style sock for colder weather/privacy on occasion. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I don't know your height and weight, but I would go with either the 90x132 or 60x126 tablecloths.
    Also, I would go with the 7/64 amsteel and forget the 1/8 as it is big and the 7/64 is quite capable of holding your weight.
    The Hennessey Hex rainfly is good, but don't get the 70D as it is heavy.

Good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Search the forum before you set your mind on doubling up in the hammock- general consensus is it doesn't work. Not sure what suspension you'd need to accommodate any "extra curricular activities". Other than needing another tree (or 2) a second hammock shouldn't be a problem to pack on a bike

Punch some numbers in here to see the forces your suspension is under laying still.
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

60yds of Amsteel is WAY more than you'll need for 1 hammock. Once the DIY bug reallybites ya' a 600' spool is BARELY enough

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    You can get away with the smaller dyneema rope for ridgeline... Several vendors make it out of the 2.2mm zing it with good success... And the 7/64 for whoopies is plenty, even with "extra curricular" activities in mind... You can also use the zing it for tarp tie outs and for whipping the ends to get your knot... I love paracord, but there are less bulky options that are strong enough for that job... To me on the motorcycle bulk is the issue, especially with rain gear or cold weather issues involved, riding jackets and helmets... It adds up to a lot of weight which affects gas mileage and gettyup, just things to keep in mind... Good luck, diy is a blast...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks for the opinions. So, how much do you think I need for a pair of 6+' whoopies and an adjustable rideline? How would you do an adjustable with the techline?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Adjustable ridgelines are essentially just long whoopies... A fixed loop on one end and the adjustable bury end on the other, you just have a linger space in between... If you are making an adjustable ridgeline for those monstrous tablecloth hammocks you got I would a lot for 1.5 times the length of the hammock for the ridgelines... By the time you get your fixed eye made you lose 8 inches and then the bury and the part turned over itself... I would probably order twice the length of each hammock just to be sure... But I'm over cautious...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    so the techline is hollow as well? didnt know that. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    just ordered a couple poncho liners for underquilt too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast