Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Senior Member HamMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kettering, OH
    Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Posts
    2,536
    Images
    46
    I have seen folks do an outside the tarp pole mod. Lukesteg had one on his cuban. It's a really simple technique. Tendertoe has a video out there on the subject as well. I know I wouldn't want my SF ridgeline altered. In reality it's probably just opened up slightly from the inside to accomodate the ribbon and wouldn't pose a huge risk. Interested to hear how it would perform without sealing.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

    Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

  2. #12
    Senior Member HamMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kettering, OH
    Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Posts
    2,536
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    "I", didn't. In order to do the pole mod, 2QZQ opens up the seam in the middle to attach a tying ribbon for the pole in the center. This action then requires you to seal the ridgleine seam on a tarp that does not require seam sealing.

    My question was, has anyone EVER had to seal their seam on an unaltered Superfly, because it started leaking. If this has never happened, then I am reluctant to have that seam opened.

    swank
    I have never sealed mine. Sometimes there can be slight drips coming through the side tieouts in a prolonged downpour but never enough to drive me to seal them up. I have had my SF out in plenty of foul weather situations. Most memorably the second Hoosier Hang.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

    Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

  3. #13
    Borday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Jefferson, georgia
    Hammock
    DIY, so far
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie !!
    Posts
    80
    I have a superfly, looking at it with pole mod in mind I was pondering 2 poles and adding ties at the pullouts instead of the ridgeline. since the pullouts will need seam sealing anyway.
    I think length of zing it and a rock in a stuff sack tossed over a tree branch will weigh less and be just as effective.
    I can levitate.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .In my Hammock

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Borday View Post
    I have a superfly, looking at it with pole mod in mind I was pondering 2 poles and adding ties at the pullouts instead of the ridgeline. since the pullouts will need seam sealing anyway.
    I think length of zing it and a rock in a stuff sack tossed over a tree branch will weigh less and be just as effective.
    I've been thinking an outside pole mod where those pull outs on the side are where the poles attach by way of some kind of grommet. Much like my hard rock winter tarp.

  5. #15
    Home Run's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SW Buckeye
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    Adam Special
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix+Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Posts
    362
    Images
    30
    Hi Swankfly, Just got my SF back form 2QZQ. Using a continuous ridgeline under my SF, here’s what I ended up doing:

    We did not disturb the ridgeline at all.
    1. ZQ added the pole pockets only. After I received it…..
    2. I Tied a prussic to the center of my ridgeline.
    3. Made a custom length pole from an old tent.
    4. Ran the pole through the prussic loop, and inserted a pole end into the first pocket.
    5. Put the other pole end in the second pocket.
    (also works with an attached soft shackle)
    Sorry no picks, will work to get some.
    I want to give special thanks to Tim and Donna for their special care and attention. How wonderful to work with such good folks. Good luck!

    Home Run

  6. #16
    Senior Member Oregon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lat. 45.517 / Long. 122.917
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SynMat9/Phantom 15
    Suspension
    WB Adj Webbing
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Home Run View Post
    Hi Swankfly, Just got my SF back form 2QZQ. Using a continuous ridgeline under my SF, here’s what I ended up doing:

    We did not disturb the ridgeline at all.
    1. ZQ added the pole pockets only. After I received it…..
    2. I Tied a prussic to the center of my ridgeline.
    3. Made a custom length pole from an old tent.
    4. Ran the pole through the prussic loop, and inserted a pole end into the first pocket.
    5. Put the other pole end in the second pocket.
    (also works with an attached soft shackle)
    Sorry no picks, will work to get some.
    I want to give special thanks to Tim and Donna for their special care and attention. How wonderful to work with such good folks. Good luck!

    Home Run
    Nice simple alternative to having the ridgeline opened up.
    My Flickr / My YouTube

    "Most of us are just about as happy as we make up our minds to be" - Abraham Lincoln

    "A left handed, open minded, closed mouth (quiet), over-analytical, under the radar, through the woods kind of guy" -Me

  7. #17
    Brute1100's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Texas
    Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Posts
    2,508
    Images
    1
    ^^^^^ I like that... I liked the outside pole mod because it didn't mess with the seam... But I like the inside idea because it can be set up while its raining... I think I have my desires set up for a tarp I don't own yet
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

    Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

  8. #18
    Senior Member SoundMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lititz, PA
    Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Posts
    361
    Images
    6
    My Superfly never leaked during rain or snow.
    Once I had the pole mod added and the ridgeline ribbon installed it did leak.
    Water wicked into the stitches and down the ribbon. Subsequent seam sealing
    has fixed this issue. Easy to do so no problem.

    I do like the pole support. It lends some structure to a large tarp.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson


    Greg

  9. #19
    kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South, South Jersey
    Posts
    3,173
    Images
    7
    i got my superfly in '08 and i do plan on seam sealing it. maybe tomorrow
    It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness.

  10. #20
    2Questions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lititz, PA
    Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Posts
    2,390
    Images
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    ^^^^^ I like that... I liked the outside pole mod because it didn't mess with the seam... But I like the inside idea because it can be set up while its raining... I think I have my desires set up for a tarp I don't own yet
    And those of you that hang in the snow...the inside pole vs. the outside pole...the inside pole doesn't create a "shelf" on the outside of the tarp for the snow to collect. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    and More!

    "The difference between genius and stupidity is.... genius has its limits" - Albert Einstein

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •