GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH

First time out with new hammock

... And of course I put a few small tears in the fabric.

When I got up in the middle of the night I apparently climbed back in in a way that rubbed the bottom of the hammock on a rock just slightly. There are three very small tears in the hammock now, the largest being probably 5mm in length. The tears run perpendicular to the hammock. My guess is that they are so small that they won't cause any issues, but my OCD tendencies won't let me leave well enough alone.

I've ordered a ENO repair patch (which I realize is just Tear-Aid tape) so I'm gonna put that on when it arrives. I've read that this is the preferred method on here, but I haven't seen any comments on the longevity of it. Am I permanently fixing the hammock by using that patch, or am I simply putting off buying a new one for a little longer?

Here's a picture of where it happened. I thought those rocks made a nice little shelf for me, and the way I normally lay it seemed impossible to rub against them. Next time I'll be more careful.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You'll definitely want to repair it - you don't want those getting any bigger.

I'm not sure about your particular hammock - others can jump in. But, with a proper repair on a small hole, a hammock can definitely go a bit longer. I've heard of others patching small holes on a Blackbird and then sleeping in it for several hundred more nights (and counting).
    Last edited by breyman; 01-02-2013 at 11:07.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Looks like a good time to be out. There is not much tarp there I'm not really sure how long that repair will last, but if you are like the rest of us, it won't matter anyway. You'll have 2 or 3 more hammocks in the next month or two.

How was you time out? (other than the tear)
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    You'll definitely want to repair it - you don't want those getting any bigger.

I'm not sure about your particular hammock - others can jump in. But, with a proper repair on a small hole, a hammock can definitely go a bit longer. I've heard of others patching small holes on a Blackbird and then sleeping in it for several hundred more nights (and counting).
    Ya its a GT Double if that helps. I figured it should be fine, and I'd imagine the holes will get larger before failing completely... So I don't mind continuing to use it. Just a real bummer, especially since it was a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Looks like a good time to be out. There is not much tarp there I'm not really sure how long that repair will last, but if you are like the rest of us, it won't matter anyway. You'll have 2 or 3 more hammocks in the next month or two.

How was you time out? (other than the tear)
    Ya we had a blast. I learned just how darn valuable a roll of CCF can be in the Winter time. That stuff is crazy warm! I think I'm gonna ditch my BA Air Core in the Winter and just use CCF now. Even my non-hammocking buddy was joking with me about all the uses we found for the little sit pads I cut out of a roll!

I'm definitely getting a 10' x 10' tarp ASAP though. That's a 10' x 5' and with a diagonal lay I can barely stay under it... I'd hate to be caught in a rainstorm with just that, I'd likely have to go to ground.

I kind of figured that the repair will more than likely outlast my satisfaction with the hammock... But I'm on a budget so the desire for a new hammock will likely long precede my ability to get one.

Images
    Are you sure you did not have something on your person that made those tears?
    Like a pocket knife belt clip, etc.
    How old is your ENO? If not very old I'd contact ENO to see if it's something they would warranty.
    My concern would be if you put pressure in the wrong spot that tear could turn in to a large rip very fast and you might find yourself on the ground.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Are you sure you did not have something on your person that made those tears?
    Like a pocket knife belt clip, etc.
    How old is your ENO? If not very old I'd contact ENO to see if it's something they would warranty.
    My concern would be if you put pressure in the wrong spot that tear could turn in to a large rip very fast and you might find yourself on the ground.
    No, I knew the moment I hit the rock... I was half asleep so I didn't check then, but I was so sure I had torn it I actually dreamed about it that night.

It's not an ENO, but a Grand Trunks... But it is literally brand new, that was the second night I'd even hung in it, and the first trip. I don't really feel right contacting the company though, as this was completely my fault.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    No, I knew the moment I hit the rock... I was half asleep so I didn't check then, but I was so sure I had torn it I actually dreamed about it that night.

It's not an ENO, but a Grand Trunks... But it is literally brand new, that was the second night I'd even hung in it, and the first trip. I don't really feel right contacting the company though, as this was completely my fault.
    Ah saw the little attached stuff sack and just assumed it was an ENO.

I would still contact GrandTrunk and just tell them the truth and see what they say. It can't hurt and they will be able to tell you if your patch with work.

Best of luck

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Sorry to hear about the hammock - nice little spot you have there though!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Ah saw the little attached stuff sack and just assumed it was an ENO.

I would still contact GrandTrunk and just tell them the truth and see what they say. It can't hurt and they will be able to tell you if your patch with work.

Best of luck
    I actually did that after reading your first post... Who knows, maybe they will give me a discount on a new one or something. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the hammock - nice little spot you have there though!
    Thanks, only myself to blame though.

That's near the old Rocky Run Shelter on the Appalachian Trail in MD. One of my favorite local spots.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Just wanted to update here; GT is going to send me a new single hammock free of charge! I think I can still get some use out of the double once I patch it with the Tear-Aid (which should be here today) but it will be nice to have a back up just in case.

That's the sign of a great company; helping out a customer despite there being no obligation to do so. Very happy customer here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast