Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    File under FWIW, a couple of interesting posts on the LSHT Yahoo Group:

First one might be useful to tech savvy folks coming on tis trip (Plan A or Plan B)

Short - Live GPS enabled LSHT maps now on Maprika phone app. Download to your phone and try it out. You can use the map function to find LSHT maps on the app or search for LSHT. Please give feedback.

Thank you to Dave for providing higher resolution map images.

Verbose:
    Last weekend I tried out out topo maps on Maprika and they worked very well while hiking the Eastside. Maprika is a app for Android and IOS that has geosynched maps and current location via GPS.

I loaded up the lower Eastern side up to Trailhead #10. They worked well but I could not see most of the elevation numbers and the FS roads labels were difficult to make out. I got a higher resolution map of Section 8 from Dave today, geosynched it, and uploaded it. This solved all the visibility issues. I will update the maps that I uploaded and add more as I get the higher resolution maps. Depending on time and availability I hoping to get this done by 2/24/13.

Battery life was easily maintained on the phone by shutting down some functions leading to 1/100 units per hour burn rate.
    The next looks like two of the problems we've been having with planning on the trail are being removed:

Talked to FS today and heard some interesting updates about the trail closure and primitive camping during hunting season.
    It seems the new Forest Supervisor in Lufkin doesn't agree with closing of trails because of the dead trees. However, because a Forest Order was issued, even though it was before he arrived, they have to find a way to walk it back. It's getting kicked up the the Southern Region Office in Atlanta, GA. to find a way to rescind the Forest Order. I bet it has to do with legal liability.
    Dano, the Recreation & Wildlife Director over the Sam Houston & Davy Crockett N.F., will be meeting with Texas Parks & Wildlife. He will bring up the topic of Primitive Camping along the LSHT during hunting season. Since TX P&W manages the Type II hunting in the NF they have some say in the process. I hoping they would allow, at a minimum, camping at the LSHT Primitive Campsites during hunting season.
    Time will tell.
    Maybe snarky posts on that forum do have an effect.

As to this trip, (and I never thought I'd say this) unfortunately, the weather looks like its going to be great, so we might want to prepare to execute Plan B.

I really don't care which plan we go with but plan b does look like a nicer area.
    The only problem with plan b is in the guide book it does say it's the most popular area but it still shouldn't be a issue..

Let's do this!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I still like the known quantity aspect of Plan A, and those campsites were sweet, but we'll go where God and the Forest Service wills us.

Man I'd like to go to this.....to make some muffins for Sarge....

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    C'mon down....it's only about a 24 hour drive for you. Something like that.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Man I'd like to go to this.....to make some muffins for Sarge....
    We miss you Muffin Killer

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I see he changed his name. Probably hiding from the Muffin Mafia. I understand they've got a bisk-hit out on him.

But, yah, come on down, we miss ya.

And we're not cooking muffins this trip, so its safe.

Seriously, dude, when we gonna see you again?

I think I heard a rumor that there might be bacon wraped goodies at this hang...

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    We are so looking forward to this trip!

We went to the valley nearby and set up our gear to give it a try; one thing we see as an issue for us "newbie" backpackers is getting all your stuff to fit. (Weight is a secondary issue to what you need to bring) We look like the Clampetts heading into the wild.
    (Pictures to follow; daughter has the photo elements)

Another thing; I tried my Sawyer Squeeze on the local creek water; not a good result. The water filtered out fine, but still had a rank odor, and taste. I took a swallow, but spit it out and didn't use that water. Any of you others have experience with using the Sawyer Squeeze? Maybe we need some activated carbon.

And, still waiting on that new backpack being ordered for the oldest son; we have an alternate plan, but if Mr. Vining can find room for his spare, we would appreciate having a plan B.1.

Taking it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Not a problem. The biggest spare I have is the Fox Mountain pack. Kinda heavy, but plenty of room.

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast