Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 261
  1. #121
    sargevining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Posts
    3,266
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I knew you'd find some excuse to throw a couple of extra pounds in there.....It was killing you wasn't it?
    No muffins for you!

    Wait--

    No muffins for anybody.

    Dang.

  2. #122
    Senior Member easttex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    No muffins for you!

    Wait--

    No muffins for anybody.

    Dang.
    I tried baking once.. Caveman was there. Things got real hot...

  3. #123
    sargevining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Posts
    3,266
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by easttex View Post
    I tried baking once.. Caveman was there. Things got real hot...
    Alky stove?

    This is why I use a canister with simmer function. Jetboils won't work b/c they are practically full on/full off. Cheapo Pocket Rockets simmer gooooood.

    BTW--

    Just got a couple in for making some cooksets. Will have enough material to make 5 coffee can cooksets by the time the hang starts.

    Anybody want one?

  4. #124
    gmcpcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Memphis, TX
    Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL Strap/whoopies
    Posts
    199
    Images
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Alky stove?

    This is why I use a canister with simmer function. Jetboils won't work b/c they are practically full on/full off. Cheapo Pocket Rockets simmer gooooood.

    BTW--

    Just got a couple in for making some cooksets. Will have enough material to make 5 coffee can cooksets by the time the hang starts.

    Anybody want one?
    I am trying to replicate one of those cooksets; I have some extra Imusa cups in both 12 and 10 CM sizes, and got lids through the PIF. I will bring along my box of junk. We can share ideas and maybe do some swapping?

    Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

  5. #125
    Senior Member easttex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    448
    No. I was using the Cheapo Chinese stove. It'll do the simmer but this was my first try and I didn't pay attention to how hot it was getting. I wanted a biscuit!! lol

  6. #126
    Senior Member easttex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    448
    I might add, the biscuit was delicious.

  7. #127
    sargevining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Posts
    3,266
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcpcs View Post
    I am trying to replicate one of those cooksets; I have some extra Imusa cups in both 12 and 10 CM sizes, and got lids through the PIF. I will bring along my box of junk. We can share ideas and maybe do some swapping?

    Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Dang;

    The trail is going to be littered with hammocks, and the parking lot is gonna look like a flea market.

  8. #128
    Caveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Springtown, Tx.
    Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Posts
    2,008
    I got a "maybe" from Gimpy. He said he'll know something for sure in a few days.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

  9. #129
    Member Klanecfsb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Spring, tx
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat/gheto diy
    Insulation
    pads/PLUQ
    Suspension
    diy straps
    Posts
    73
    Talked to my boss today. Looks like I will be working on the road. I won't be in Florida like I thought, I'll be in south Texas. So there is a chance I could pull it off, if this project doesn't require week end work. Fingers crossed.

    Also, this will be my first hike in camping experience. I have camped in many adverse conditions with my set up and have also done some pretty extensive hiking (climbed a few mountains in Colorado in may including a 14k foot peak). I just gotta put two and two together.

    If I do end up making it, it's looking more like Saturday morning for me. The questions I have are, what time are you guys planning on rolling out of camp Saturday morning and how well marked are the trails if I have to navigate all by my lonesome?

  10. #130
    sargevining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Posts
    3,266
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Klanecfsb View Post
    Talked to my boss today. Looks like I will be working on the road. I won't be in Florida like I thought, I'll be in south Texas. So there is a chance I could pull it off, if this project doesn't require week end work. Fingers crossed.

    Also, this will be my first hike in camping experience. I have camped in many adverse conditions with my set up and have also done some pretty extensive hiking (climbed a few mountains in Colorado in may including a 14k foot peak). I just gotta put two and two together.

    If I do end up making it, it's looking more like Saturday morning for me. The questions I have are, what time are you guys planning on rolling out of camp Saturday morning and how well marked are the trails if I have to navigate all by my lonesome?
    The trails are very well marked, especially during daylight hours.

    Trail map:

    http://lonestartrail.org/maps/medium...derness_sc.pdf

    As far as rolling out of camp, it kinda goes like this:

    Caveman won't wait much, and the rooster will be rubbing the sand from his eyes as Caveman passes him by.

    If its me, I'll wait until the tea and crumpets are finished, the table cleared and the dishes washed, and the kitchen staff dismissed for the day.

    Everybody else will fall somewhere in between.

    I doubt there will be anything that looks like an organized hike (or an organized campsite for that matter). Folks will mainly follow thier own schedules. Some will want to hit the trail ASAP in order to do the long loop, others may tarry a bit b/c they plan on doing a shorter hike (like me).

    One alterative would be to park at Parking Lot #2 and hang out near the trail head waiting for the parade to pass by.

    Another alternative is to park at Parking Lot #1 and hike down the trail towards where we're camped (turn right--south--at the fork in the trail down the Little Lake Loop Trail). There should be signs giving the names of the trails, etc. Caveman has been down that route and might be able to give you a better description of what that fork looks like.

    If you get there early, early in the morning---like before 8:00 AM, you could probably go the Parking Lot #1 alternative and be reasonably sure you'll meet somebody on the trail coming towards you, or the kitchen staff heading home.

    But the safest bet would be to go to Parking Lot #2 and hang out. The only drawback is that it might be an hour or so---but that beats walking around the woods for a day without meeting anybody. The trailhead is not actually in Parking Lot #2, although it looks like there's one there---but its a pipeline right of way. The trail head comes out on Bethel Road (FS211) a few yards south of the Parking lot. It shows up well on Google Maps and Street View. If you sit on the hood of your car and look south into the woods, you should be able to see people coming down the trail in your direction, especially at this time of year.

    One other alternative, especially if you show up close to or after lunch, would be to go to the Saturday night campsite. If you look at the map, you can see where the West Fork Trail (blue dashed lined) intersects the Little Lake Creek Loop (the yellow and blue dashed line). Just south of that point, the Little Lake Creek Loop crosses FS 211A and the campsite is just south of that road. Its on the right hand side of the trail, a group of pines spaced about 12- 15 feet apart with the area under them virtually free of undergrowth.

    This might also be the way to go if you hang at Parking Lot #2 for a couple of hours and nobody walks by.

    You could also hike south on the Little Lake Creek Loop until you meet some of us coming north on it, then turn around and hike back to the campsite.

    If you can give us a better idea of what time you might get there, we can plan a bit better. My cheap old man butt has a cell phone service that is kinda chancy out there, but somebody here probably has better service and you could exchange numbers with them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •