Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member CampWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Posts
    345

    Gossamer Gear 1/8 Pad Question

    How warm can a GG 1/8 Pad keep you as an UQ? Anyone have experience with pad?
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

  2. #2
    CrankyOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hilton Head Is., SC
    Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Posts
    248
    I have the thicker pad and IF I could stay on the thing, I think uppers 30's for me.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

  3. #3
    Senior Member nickgann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Posts
    326
    I use a 1/8 inch yoga mat doubled onto itself(I have a hennessy bottom entry), that in conjunction with a windshield reflector and getting into my 40* sleeping bag keeps me warm in the 20's

  4. #4
    Senior Member CampWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    I have the thicker pad and IF I could stay on the thing, I think uppers 30's for me.
    Ya staying on the pad is a trick in its self.....
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

  5. #5
    Senior Member CampWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgann View Post
    I use a 1/8 inch yoga mat doubled onto itself(I have a hennessy bottom entry), that in conjunction with a windshield reflector and getting into my 40* sleeping bag keeps me warm in the 20's
    Nice, I have about the same set up so I'm thinking a 1/8 GG Pad is worth a buy, thank you much.....
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

  6. #6
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    The R Value of 1/4" Evazote (GG material) is about 1.1. That's supposed to provide 11-15 degrees of insulation. That would put 1/4" at around 55. I use a 1/4" 26X40 Evazote pad in the summer when the lows will be above 55. The same pad will boost my UQ by about 10 degrees.

    If you're using a TQ and not a bag, I wouldn't expect 1/8" Evazote to get you below 60 without a chill unless you're wearing enough clothes to do more.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,217
    The GG 1/8" pad is very narrow at only 19 3/8". Why not get a pad from Lawson Outdoor Equipment? Wider, longer, lower price, free shipping, what's not to like?

  8. #8
    Senior Member CampWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The GG 1/8" pad is very narrow at only 19 3/8". Why not get a pad from Lawson Outdoor Equipment? Wider, longer, lower price, free shipping, what's not to like?
    Good call on the Lawson, did not know of them, thanks for the site....
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

  9. #9
    Senior Member CampWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    The R Value of 1/4" Evazote (GG material) is about 1.1. That's supposed to provide 11-15 degrees of insulation. That would put 1/4" at around 55. I use a 1/4" 26X40 Evazote pad in the summer when the lows will be above 55. The same pad will boost my UQ by about 10 degrees.

    If you're using a TQ and not a bag, I wouldn't expect 1/8" Evazote to get you below 60 without a chill unless you're wearing enough clothes to do more.
    So I have a 3/4 PHX UQ and I need something for insulation from my back of my legs to a little pass my feet. Will a 1/8 pad not do the trick?
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mr.Tattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sanford Florida
    Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Posts
    798
    I have a GG 1/8 pad that I use for under my feet I normally double it up though I have slept on it down to about 50* wearing shorts and a tank top stayed pretty comfortable but it is so thin it tends to bunch up under me when moving around in the hammock ..I use a single layer hammock and am a warm sleeper...I would recommend a 1/4 pad and a wider one then the 1/8 GG pad...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •