Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Great Minds

Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    I am coming to the party late, but I had a thought. I didn't read every entry, so this might have been kicked around already.

What if on the tail piece where you are making the prusik, you instead make a small loop, (short bury with a couple of locking stitches maybe) then attach something like a loop of zing-it to that to make the prusik? As I recall, in a perfect world the diameter of the prusik knot line should be smaller than the line it is attached to. Would that make it less likely to release by accident? Just an untested idea.
    Great minds think alike. (If it works) I posted the same question yesterday here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...2&postcount=17

I was working on it last night, but ran out of time. In theory it should work.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I'm making a pair of UCR's with 1/8 Amsteel. 6' on the long piece, and I only had a bury of 9". I finished the one @ 11:30 pm. Of course, I had to test it out. It's slowlyyyyy slipped until I was on my Ѡ.

What do you think would be a good length for the bury to use. I'm thinking 15".

Thanks
    Mine are similar but are 7/64th and I haven't slipped yet.

Full disclosure : now i haven't slept with them or anything but we did have a tug of war and I have hung from them.

Wonder if the larger diameter doesn't allow the proper ' squeeze'?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Mine are similar but are 7/64th and I haven't slipped yet.

Full disclosure : now i haven't slept with them or anything but we did have a tug of war and I have hung from them.

Wonder if the larger diameter doesn't allow the proper ' squeeze'?
    The 1/8 does have a different shape to it as well. However, I'm hoping the problem was the 9" bury. I know they're people who've made Whoopie Slings out of 1/8 and only used a 12" bury. I know the UCR needs more. How much more, I don't know.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    From the Sansom site the bury should be a minimum of 3.5 x fid
    The fid is the diameter x 22 (actually they say 21, but their examples are beteween 21 and 22, so lets go with 22)
    This makes the bury for 1/8" 9.625"
    7/64" works out to about 8.5"

I often wonder if the measurement should be taken with the constricted rope or the constricting rope. From the diagrams it looks like the constricting rope, so you need to expand the rope before you measure your entry and exit of your bury.

Whoopie Instructions
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    I often wonder if the measurement should be taken with the constricted rope or the constricting rope. From the diagrams it looks like the constricting rope, so you need to expand the rope before you measure your entry and exit of your bury.

Whoopie Instructions
    Yes, it's the constricting cord that needs the full length.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    I am coming to the party late, but I had a thought. I didn't read every entry, so this might have been kicked around already.

What if on the tail piece where you are making the prusik, you instead make a small loop, (short bury with a couple of locking stitches maybe) then attach something like a loop of zing-it to that to make the prusik? As I recall, in a perfect world the diameter of the prusik knot line should be smaller than the line it is attached to. Would that make it less likely to release by accident? Just an untested idea.
    There isn't enough tension on the prusik to warrant the need for it. It's really only a safety precaution which is demonstrated by Grizz here...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw6P3...mbedded#t=324s

Images
    I'm making a pair of UCR's with 1/8 Amsteel. 6' on the long piece, and I only had a bury of 9". I finished the one @ 11:30 pm. Of course, I had to test it out. It's slowlyyyyy slipped until I was on my Ѡ.

What do you think would be a good length for the bury to use. I'm thinking 15".

Thanks
    I haven't worked with 1/8", but I too am curious, was the finished length of the constrictor 9"? Or did you measure 9" before you buried the other cord through? A full proof way to figure that out, is to run the cord through, take the measurement, then pull the cord out.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I haven't worked with 1/8", but I too am curious, was the finished length of the constrictor 9"? Or did you measure 9" before you buried the other cord through? A full proof way to figure that out, is to run the cord through, take the measurement, then pull the cord out.
    Just the bury was 9 inches. I had a Whoopie Hook on it, and an extra long tail to tie off with the knot to keep it from slipping. I milked it, pulled it and it was tight. However, once I got in, it slowly slid until I was on my butt.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    The 1/8 does have a different shape to it as well. However, I'm hoping the problem was the 9" bury. I know they're people who've made Whoopie Slings out of 1/8 and only used a 12" bury. I know the UCR needs more. How much more, I don't know.
    Dumb on my part. I answered my own question. If the WS needs a 12" Bury and the UCR needs more, then my 9" was way too short.

I found some hardwood in the forest today on a short walk. I'm going to test it to see if I can use it with the Sliding Toggle Method on one end, and the UCR on the other end. That way, when I'm hanging and someone asks about my setup, I'll have more to brag about how the hammock can be hung in a variety of ways & methods.

Hammock
    BMBH UL/WBRR
    Tarp
    WB SF/ WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/DIY/WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCR/Web
    Images
    I used Fallknivens instructions (which were extremely clear) but made the bury 10 inches. Slept overnight with no slippage this past weekend. I think I like the UCRs better than the whoopie slings.... I will have to play around with them more. I used 7/64 not 1/8.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast