Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 99
  1. #21
    Senior Member Kerrkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Baltimore Michigan
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym zip
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    straps
    Posts
    129
    Images
    10
    I like the idea of a backpacking trip for the spring hang....

  2. #22
    Wolverine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Novi, MI
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrkid View Post
    I like the idea of a backpacking trip for the spring hang....
    Sure...but where?

  3. #23
    Senior Member Kerrkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Baltimore Michigan
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym zip
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    straps
    Posts
    129
    Images
    10
    MRT, Nord House, North Manitou, LOL Pigeon River, AuSable river has nice trails on it, Hoist lake just to name a few im sure there or more but again its a group thing.

  4. #24
    Still a Hooligan Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Free State of Ludington
    Hammock
    WBBB/Darien 11'
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    974
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Sure...but where?
    MRT/NCT Loop - There are plenty of options for a hang, with multiple put in points and even a float option.

    Pigeon River - Been a long time, not sure if the backcountry camping would accomodate a big group

    Manitous - Might be a little early for the boat and WX

    Hoist Lakes - Multiple put in points, there is prby enough camping room around Byron lake, not sure of the othes. LOTS OF TICKS!!!!!

    Nordhouse - Equals AWESOME! Plenty of camping, only one real put in.

    Another option would be Bowman Lake on the NCT west a Baldwin (Lake County), plenty of camping, multiple put in points.

    Just my two cents......
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

    Stone's Videos

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    michigan
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Posts
    125
    Nordhouse is good, but I hate hate hate the sand! All though it probably won't be as bad with a hammock. I love the manitous, but it doesn't look like the ferry starts until may, I am all about going in may by the way sounds warmer than any other month, but know that is not a factor for the rest of you. MRT is always a good place. I have never been to Hoist lakes, or pigeon river. I am honestly game for any thing. We should narrow it down and do a vote:-)

  6. #26
    Still a Hooligan Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Free State of Ludington
    Hammock
    WBBB/Darien 11'
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    974
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    Nordhouse is good, but I hate hate hate the sand! All though it probably won't be as bad with a hammock.
    Nope, its just as bad, just eaiser to get it out of the hammock.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

    Stone's Videos

  7. #27
    markr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator-20/40
    Posts
    1,431
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by stonehooligan View Post
    Nope, its just as bad, just eaiser to get it out of the hammock.
    Shake shake shake! I never camp on the sand because of this. Plus, most of the people doing that are breaking the rules as they are well within 250' of the trails or 400' of the water. Oh well, I prefer privacy and playing by the rules anyway.

    I just got back from there...cold and windy! Had to hunker down east of the dunes in the pines. Great spots to hang!

    p.s. Hoist Lakes is one heck of a place to save for a Fall Hang: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=aaceae761f
    Last edited by markr6; 01-21-2013 at 15:54.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Vulture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alpena, MI
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    UGQ H11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Levitation
    Posts
    174
    Nice photos, Markr6! I'm favoring the MRT/NCT or Bowman Lake area so far.

  9. #29
    Still a Hooligan Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Free State of Ludington
    Hammock
    WBBB/Darien 11'
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    974
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Shake shake shake! I never camp on the sand because of this. Plus, most of the people doing that are breaking the rules as they are well within 250' of the trails or 400' of the water. Oh well, I prefer privacy and playing by the rules anyway.

    I just got back from there...cold and windy! Had to hunker down east of the dunes in the pines. Great spots to hang!

    p.s. Hoist Lakes is one heck of a place to save for a Fall Hang: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=aaceae761f
    Actually at Nordhouse there is no 250'-400' rule. The only rule is to not camp on the vegitation on the dunes. Not to mention that most of the best spots are already over 500' from the water.

    We usually camp in the lee of a fore dune and back dune, so we stay out of the wind. Pretty choice spot.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

    Stone's Videos

  10. #30
    markr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator-20/40
    Posts
    1,431
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by stonehooligan View Post
    Actually at Nordhouse there is no 250'-400' rule. The only rule is to not camp on the vegitation on the dunes. Not to mention that most of the best spots are already over 500' from the water.

    We usually camp in the lee of a fore dune and back dune, so we stay out of the wind. Pretty choice spot.
    I've seen conflicting measurements everywhere, but the actual rules can be found here per the forest service:

    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5151641.pdf

    "Camp on Durable Surfaces-
    Campsites must be at least: 100 feet from the trail, 400 feet from Lake Michigan and 200 feet from Nordhouse Lake."


    You'll find this in almost any wilderness, park, rec. area, etc. Although some people don't like it, it really protects natural resources and provides a more enjoyable experience for everyone else. i.e. you don't have to see some fat guy in his tighty whities in the morning camped 25' off the trail!

    Although it's nice to get a view of the lake, I sometimes like to get on some high spots right in the middle of the area near the old rr grade. Deer everywhere!

    For a Spring hang, Nordhouse or Hoist Lakes sound good to me. Never heard of Bowman Lake, so that would be nice to try

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •