Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 99
  1. #51
    Wolverine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Novi, MI
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    248
    Can we consider the Towab trail in Lake Superior Provincial Park? If so I will provide additional information. About an 8 hour drive from the Metro Detroit Area to the north of Sault St Marie Michigan in Canada. I'm thinking why take time off from work, if not for an epic adventure to match the epic drive for some of us.

  2. #52
    Still a Hooligan Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Free State of Ludington
    Hammock
    WBBB/Darien 11'
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    974
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Can we consider the Towab trail in Lake Superior Provincial Park? If so I will provide additional information. About an 8 hour drive from the Metro Detroit Area to the north of Sault St Marie Michigan in Canada. I'm thinking why take time off from work, if not for an epic adventure to match the epic drive for some of us.
    For a Spring Hang? I think that would be a bit out of place. First it's not in Michigan, second the logistics of border crossings, and the shear distance would be prohibitive for most. The "Official" group hangs are typically a weekend only thing and we would burn most of that in drive time alone.

    I agree that would be an epic hike, and a ton of fun, but for an organized group hang I dont see it as a viable option.

    But that is just my two cents.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

    Stone's Videos

  3. #53
    Member shogun_8574's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Howell, MI
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slings/Buckles
    Posts
    61
    For more of a "spring" feel, I vote for Pinckney/Waterloo area. Pigeon River, Jordan River, Hoist Lakes are all great places, but you may run into colder and snowier weather even into April up there.
    "Workin' on mysteries without any clues" - Bob Seger

  4. #54
    vampiresmiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bay City, MI
    Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    217
    Images
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun_8574 View Post
    For more of a "spring" feel, I vote for Pinckney/Waterloo area. Pigeon River, Jordan River, Hoist Lakes are all great places, but you may run into colder and snowier weather even into April up there.
    As I mentioned earlier, I'd be up for trying the Waterloo-Pickney trail for the spring if the group wants to try a more southern location.

    Michael

  5. #55
    michigandave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Clarkston, MI
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner & ENO
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven11
    Insulation
    Jrbg NewRvr & RevX
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, I'd be up for trying the Waterloo-Pickney trail for the spring if the group wants to try a more southern location.

    Michael
    Waterloo-Pinckney would be great. I've always wanted to do the multi-day 36 mile point to point trail. I make a couple trips a year to Pinckney-Blind Lake overnight loop. Last fall it was posted that the fire pits at Blind Lake were being removed and I know the group likes their fires! Plus, it's close for me .

  6. #56
    Senior Member nimbus37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Battle Creek, MI
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, JRB ORM
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    190

    Waterloo

    Waterloo/Pinckney would be my choice as well, keep it easy to get to for us "southerners". I love going up north, but one close by would be nice.

    I am of the mind, anything but the MRT/NCT loop is a good choice. That suggestion comes out every time we talk about a group hang. I like going to places I haven't been before. MRT/NCT is too much of a known spot for me.

    I love the NCT, so anywhere on it would be good. There is a nice state forest campground, think it is called Fairbanks, just north of White Cloud that would be nice and secluded and a good amount of hiking available via the NCT.

  7. #57
    sr1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jackson, MI
    Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Posts
    1,861
    Images
    101
    Just a thought for you guys with enough cars you could thru hike a section of the NCT...
    Happy Hangin'

    Paul - SR1355
    UGQ Outdoor Equipment
    Makers of High Performance Sleeping Gear and Tarps

    CLICK HERE TO VISIT UGQ GALLERY

    CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE

    FOLLOW UGQ ON FACEBOOK

  8. #58
    Still a Hooligan Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Free State of Ludington
    Hammock
    WBBB/Darien 11'
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    974
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Just a thought for you guys with enough cars you could thru hike a section of the NCT...
    Here is a map of a trip we took a few years back. Its the NCT US-10 to Bowman Lake. Not opposed to Pickney, just another option.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

    Stone's Videos

  9. #59
    michigandave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Clarkston, MI
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner & ENO
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven11
    Insulation
    Jrbg NewRvr & RevX
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by stonehooligan View Post
    Here is a map of a trip we took a few years back. Its the NCT US-10 to Bowman Lake. Not opposed to Pickney, just another option.
    I think you've hit on something that would be pretty cool to do as an organized group. How about a section hike of the NCT through Michigan, starting at the border and going north? Link to trail info: http://northcountrytrail.org/trail/states/michigan/ . Lowell, Michigan is the national headquarters too. Think about how it would solve the whole issue of picking a place for a group hang...just look at the map and see where it left off last time. I've done a bunch of sections of it (NCT-MRT, Pictured Rocks, Porkies), but it would be a great accomplishment to do it all within our great state of Michigan and advance the Hammock as the ultimate in no-impact camping.

  10. #60
    vampiresmiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bay City, MI
    Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    217
    Images
    22

    3 day through hike?

    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Waterloo-Pinckney would be great. I've always wanted to do the multi-day 36 mile point to point trail. I make a couple trips a year to Pinckney-Blind Lake overnight loop. Last fall it was posted that the fire pits at Blind Lake were being removed and I know the group likes their fires! Plus, it's close for me .
    It looks like Waterloo-Pickney could be done as a 3 day through hike, but it would be longer hikes each day:
    Day 1 15 mi from Big Portage Lake to Sugarloaf.
    Day 2 16.5 mi from Sugarloaf to Blind Lake
    Day 3 7 mi from Blind Lake to Silverlake day area (or 4.5 mi with the shortcut)

    Those interested in less hiking or just an overnight could meet up at Blind Lake on Fri/Sat, or just Sat.

    Michael

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •