View Poll Results: What suspension do you use?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straps and a carabiner

    34 30.63%
  • Straps, whoopie and toggle

    53 47.75%
  • Straps and cord.

    8 7.21%
  • Non of the above, you float magically.

    16 14.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    GaryBunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Posts
    227
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyCamper View Post
    Hello. Just wondering if it would be possible to use some kind of climbing rope, (or amsteel) have that attached to your hammock with a larks head, then tie a stopper knot (figure eight or diamond) then tie a marlin spike hitch in your webbing and slide the rope in before tightening. That way it would be hardware free. I was wondering if this would be a good idea or just suicide.
    Thanks for the input in advance,
    LazyCamper.
    I have used the exact suspension Grizz explains in his video. It is really a great setup. The only difference is I went back to looping my ridgeline over the continious loops and then attaching the continious loop to the diamond knot with the slide. I have maybe 5-6 hangs on the setup and it seems to be handling my 215 lbs. just fine. I have been more worried about the Dynaglide than I have the diamond knot attachment. I have never weighed it but it weighs nothing. I have several pics in my gallery.
    - Gary -

    "Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

  2. #12
    New Member LazyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, RI
    Hammock
    Eno Single-Nest (for now!)
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly Tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap straps
    Posts
    39
    The thing is I have never diy'd anything and all the shackles and things on Grizz's setup seem daunting. That's why I'm looking for something to slash my weight, but simple and cheap. I do want to get into Diy but start with something like this, witch is simpler than say an underquilt. If anyone knows any good posts that help with the things I'd have to make to do this set up, please direct me to them.
    Thanks again!
    LazyCamper.
    P.S. I heard amsteel is slippery and doesn't hold knots well. Would it hold a figure eight or diamond knot?
    Last edited by LazyCamper; 01-13-2013 at 21:13.

  3. #13
    gplg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NoVa
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG& EE UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/biner
    Posts
    123
    Images
    8
    It will hold a figure 8

  4. #14
    New Member LazyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, RI
    Hammock
    Eno Single-Nest (for now!)
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly Tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap straps
    Posts
    39
    Thanks! By the way, my cat drove me out of the basement. He was jumping at my head while I was in the hammock.... I was very comfortable before that, but it's hard to sleep when you're afraid the cat will tear a hole in your hammock/.

  5. #15
    DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web & buckles
    Posts
    1,576
    Images
    2
    Started with zero hardware. I used the stock strap from Claytor and tied the knot as he showed on his website. Worked great. Only reason I still don't use it is for adjustability. However, I never "adjust", so I wonder why I do not just go back to using the tied strap method?

  6. #16
    GaryBunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Posts
    227
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyCamper View Post
    The thing is I have never diy'd anything and all the shackles and things on Grizz's setup seem daunting. That's why I'm looking for something to slash my weight, but simple and cheap. I do want to get into Diy but start with something like this, witch is simpler than say an underquilt. If anyone knows any good posts that help with the things I'd have to make to do this set up, please direct me to them.
    Thanks again!
    LazyCamper.
    P.S. I heard amsteel is slippery and doesn't hold knots well. Would it hold a figure eight or diamond knot?
    I'm confused as to all the hardware? It has no hardware? You have 2 continuious loops and a slider and the amsteel diamond knot with a dynaglide whoopie? If you use a straight whoopie sling there is no hardware unless you count the toggle but many just pick up a stick?
    - Gary -

    "Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

  7. #17
    New Member LazyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, RI
    Hammock
    Eno Single-Nest (for now!)
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly Tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap straps
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    I'm confused as to all the hardware? It has no hardware? You have 2 continuious loops and a slider and the amsteel diamond knot with a dynaglide whoopie? If you use a straight whoopie sling there is no hardware unless you count the toggle but many just pick up a stick?
    I am leaning towards whoopie slings, but I was just wondering if having a rope with a stopper knot all along parts of it, then slide the rope into the marlinspike hitch and tighten the marlinspike hitch would be simpler.
    Also, would someone please direct me to a sight that sells rope that I can tie knots in but still use as hammock suspension?

  8. #18
    GaryBunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Posts
    227
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyCamper View Post
    I am leaning towards whoopie slings, but I was just wondering if having a rope with a stopper knot all along parts of it, then slide the rope into the marlinspike hitch and tighten the marlinspike hitch would be simpler.
    Also, would someone please direct me to a sight that sells rope that I can tie knots in but still use as hammock suspension?
    I'm still having trouble visualizing how a stopper knot would work with your marlinspike hitch and support your weight? Redden Marine and West Marine are both very good, they usually have a Hammock forum coupon.
    - Gary -

    "Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

  9. #19
    Member Laochri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Aurora, Co.
    Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop Nylon Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 3" Cat-Cut Hex
    Insulation
    DIY TopQuilt/ Pad
    Suspension
    LineLocker/Whoopie
    Posts
    58
    I use straps, whoopie sling, and a Line-Locker. Some of y'all have seen it, for those that have it here's the thread.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=line+Locker

    These things will hold during an f5 tornado. Although I would want to hang in the trees to test it.
    See You In The Trees
    & Keep It Hanging

    http://www.youtube.com/user/Laochri?feature=watch

  10. #20
    New Member LazyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, RI
    Hammock
    Eno Single-Nest (for now!)
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly Tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap straps
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    I'm still having trouble visualizing how a stopper knot would work with your marlinspike hitch and support your weight? Redden Marine and West Marine are both very good, they usually have a Hammock forum coupon.
    You're right. You can't do this set up and easily remove it. I tried something else though. You take two pieces of rope, tie a variation of a quick release figure eight knot on the shorter one, then a bowline on the other. tie your marlinspike hitch in your webbing, put the end of your shorter rope and put it through the marlin and bowline, then adjust to the height you want. Put that through the loop on your figure eight knot, and do a (I think Hennessy) lashing then you're good to go. Just make sure your larks head is detachable, it's what makes it detachable. I tried this with clothesline, it was fine until I tried moving around. It snapped. But I think It was the rope, not the set up.
    P.S. How much do bowline knot, figure eight knot, and Hennessy lashing decrease the rating of the rope?
    Thanks in advance!
    LazyCamper.
    Last edited by LazyCamper; 01-17-2013 at 12:05.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •