Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Winter Camping in Oregon

    Hi HammockForums! I was just curious if anybody knew some decent camping/backpacking trails in Oregon that are open this time of year. Over the new years weekend I traveled 700+ miles on the coast to find a site but could not find a decent one for the life of me

    I did find a couple of nice campgrounds but the problem I had was they we're all paved concrete campgrounds and PACKED full of people. This is exactly what I am trying to AVOID while camping, people and signs of civilization. I would also like to add that all of the campgrounds we're 20$+ a night. That's absurd. 20$ a night to sleep on the ground(or in our case, a hammock).

    Thank you very much for any reply's back

    P.S. - In the Portland area, would be willing to drive 3-4 hours in any direction.

    EDIT** Or maybe a Oregon related backpacking forum that I don't know of?

  2. #2
    Gary_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Posts
    1,267
    Need more info..
    How far you willing to hike.
    Camp Grounds were full this time of year?
    You said Winter so I figure in snow is good?

    Quote Originally Posted by twiztidfx View Post
    Hi HammockForums! I was just curious if anybody knew some decent camping/backpacking trails in Oregon that are open this time of year. Over the new years weekend I traveled 700+ miles on the coast to find a site but could not find a decent one for the life of me

    I did find a couple of nice campgrounds but the problem I had was they we're all paved concrete campgrounds and PACKED full of people. This is exactly what I am trying to AVOID while camping, people and signs of civilization. I would also like to add that all of the campgrounds we're 20$+ a night. That's absurd. 20$ a night to sleep on the ground(or in our case, a hammock).

    Thank you very much for any reply's back

    P.S. - In the Portland area, would be willing to drive 3-4 hours in any direction.

  3. #3
    Sorry about that, should have been much more specific. Thanks for the quick reply.

    How far are you willing to hike?
    15-20 miles would probably be my max.

    Campgrounds we're full this time of year?
    They we're not full, and I actually did find some decent campgrounds but NONE of them had a spot within 30+ miles that I could park overnight. Given my short stay as well (2-3 days) I also did not want to be hiking 50-60 miles from my campsite back to my car.

    You said Winter so I figure in snow is good?
    Yes. This is what I'm looking for.

  4. #4
    Gary_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Posts
    1,267
    If you can hike 20+ miles in the snow you have me beat lol.
    Easiest place would be park at one of the snow parks on Hood or down south somewhere and begin your trips from there. as long as you have a sno-park pass you can park there over night. For example a couple of us hiked into Clear Lake CG from Skyline Sno-park a few weeks ago.

    Keep in mind many "Trails" are hidden so you need some good snow shoes and trail finding skills. But you can get almost anywhere. On Hood this time of year you basically can camp anywhere, Not required to be in a Camp Ground.


    Quote Originally Posted by twiztidfx View Post
    Sorry about that, should have been much more specific. Thanks for the quick reply.



    15-20 miles would probably be my max.



    They we're not full, and I actually did find some decent campgrounds but NONE of them had a spot within 30+ miles that I could park overnight. Given my short stay as well (2-3 days) I also did not want to be hiking 50-60 miles from my campsite back to my car.



    Yes. This is what I'm looking for.

  5. #5
    Gary_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Posts
    1,267
    And if you didn't notice there is a Winter Hang this weekend.

  6. #6
    Senior Member rip waverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    corvallis, oregon
    Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Posts
    1,571
    if you wanna head down to florence - 3 mile lake is a good backpack trip on the coast.

    i like the mountain view shelter at santiam pass.
    "Jeff-Becking"

    DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

  7. #7
    Member tgbrowning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Salem, ORE
    Posts
    57
    Images
    2
    Am a bit confused. You are where, exactly> Are you looking to stay somewhere on the coast? Or in the close confines of the Willamette Valley near Portland.

    The coast has a lot of camp sites but it's been a while since I've tried anyone of them. They may or may not be full. However, there are lots of trails in the coast range (west of Portland -- Tillamook National Forest lands and I know people can pretty much go where they will, especially this time of year when it wet and cold.

    County parks are good as well, especially in Clatsop and Tillamook counties. Drive time from downtown Portland to Tillamook or Seaside is around 2 hours. As far as the weather right now, we're getting snow flurries in the coast range occasionally on both the Wilson RIver Highway ( to Tillamook) and Sunset Highway (to Seaside).

  8. #8
    Gary_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Posts
    1,267
    He said Portland area. and looking for snow.

    Quote Originally Posted by tgbrowning View Post
    Am a bit confused. You are where, exactly> Are you looking to stay somewhere on the coast? Or in the close confines of the Willamette Valley near Portland.

    The coast has a lot of camp sites but it's been a while since I've tried anyone of them. They may or may not be full. However, there are lots of trails in the coast range (west of Portland -- Tillamook National Forest lands and I know people can pretty much go where they will, especially this time of year when it wet and cold.

    County parks are good as well, especially in Clatsop and Tillamook counties. Drive time from downtown Portland to Tillamook or Seaside is around 2 hours. As far as the weather right now, we're getting snow flurries in the coast range occasionally on both the Wilson RIver Highway ( to Tillamook) and Sunset Highway (to Seaside).

  9. #9
    Senior Member bgraybackpacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Willamette valley Oregon
    Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    Posts
    370
    There is a spot that I found in a forum just south of Cape Perpetua that you can do a shortish 2.5 mile hike into and camp without paying. Forest Service pass I think is required but they do so many good things with the funds its hard not to say no. I think it was cooks chasm, part of the hiking trails for cape perpetua too I think. Water access is iffy from what I remember of that trail.

  10. #10
    Member tgbrowning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Salem, ORE
    Posts
    57
    Images
    2

    805 Trail and Cook's Chasm, Perpetua

    Oh yeah. Very good place and there is parking available as well. In point of fact, part of that trail set up connects to the 805 Trail along the coast to the north. It was the trail that the Alsea and Yaquina Indians used to access coast south of there. And it was probably the same trail Jed Smith had to take after the fight where most of his party was killed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •