Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Help!!

Could someone do me a favor and measure the amsteel on the head end of their ridge runner? I was trying something and screwed mine up. Need to make new ones. Thanks. If you could just measure one of the lines that's fine. Very grateful!

I got 42" That is with everything connected so you probaly have to add a little because the extra tha is taken up from larks heading both ends..

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thankyou!
    Travel Journal: http://clackstont100.weebly.com/

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    44" total length measured off of the hammock. Plus or minus a little on the length isn't as important as both pieces being the same length.

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks all, I just bit it and bought a couple of new ones from Brandon. I didn't feel like using the wrong size stuff that I had to make new ones that may or may not have worked in my Spindrift.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you make them exactly 42.5 with the larkheaded loop ends included in this measurement, they will stretch out with your body weight of laying in the hammock after they have been re-installed to measure 42.5 inches from the edge of the aluminum buckle on the hammock to your beiner or buckle where your straps or whoopies join. they will stretch about 1 to 1.5 inches. All of my test pieces (about 40' of amsteel of different lengths stretched after making different sizes in testing suspension out) stretched no matter how tightly I would pull on the loops as I was making them.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    If you make them exactly 42.5 with the larkheaded loop ends included in this measurement, they will stretch out with your body weight of laying in the hammock after they have been re-installed to measure 42.5 inches from the edge of the aluminum buckle on the hammock to your beiner or buckle where your straps or whoopies join. they will stretch about 1 to 1.5 inches. All of my test pieces (about 40' of amsteel of different lengths stretched after making different sizes in testing suspension out) stretched no matter how tightly I would pull on the loops as I was making them.
    Amsteel isn't going to stretch, but constrict. When you put the weight on it, it will constrict and lengthen a bit.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Amsteel isn't going to stretch, but constrict. When you put the weight on it, it will constrict and lengthen a bit.....RR
    Call it what you want.. Brand new amsteel, with splicing, and making locking brummels, using it the very first time,,will stretch one time and one time only. My new 100' of amsteel on my winch on my jeep,,stretched about 4 ft per 100' the first time I used it. After that, its done because all your doing is pulling the fibers and the amsteel tight. I call it stretch, call it what you want.
    Last edited by Acer; 01-18-2013 at 20:08.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Acer, what did you end up shortening your lines to? I know you had a thread where you stated it but I can't find it at the moment? When I shortened it up, the hammock got pretty unsteady. I also didn't want to risk buckling the poles.

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Call it what you want.. Brand new amsteel, with splicing, and making locking brummels, using it the very first time,,will stretch one time and one time only. My new 100' of amsteel on my winch on my jeep,,stretched about 4 ft per 100' the first time I used it. After that, its done because all your doing is pulling the fibers and the amsteel tight. I call it stretch, call it what you want.
    Thanks, made some new ones last night. Easier than I thought they would be to make equal length. I cut a strip of wood to 45" and marked 42.5". Put two nails in and used those as a template to cut the amsteel. Worked great and provided consistent results.

• + New Posts