Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Fire danger

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NORTHWEST NORTH AMERICA
    Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Posts
    487

    Fire danger

    Maybe I am over cautious, however, I worry somewhat about wrapping my self in nylon and cocooning (I know my spelling is horrible, and no SpellCheck) into that lovely feeling of softness. I worry when I see people near campfires or their stoves, I worry about fire works, nylon is so flamable. Gosh, smokers near their nylon just drive me over the caution wall.


    THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME AIR MY CONCERNS ABOUT FIRE. I SURE DO NOT WANT TO READ ABOUT ANY OF US BECOMING CRISPY.

  2. #2
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    I don't hang close enough to the campfire, and my little stoves don't worry me. But I do use caution. I want to make a hot tarp/hammock, but worry about using sil.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


  3. #3
    robjae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    HSV, AL
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY climashield UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    59

    Fire

    If it does catch on fire, you will drop to the ground, just start rolling

  4. #4
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by robjae View Post
    If it does catch on fire, you will drop to the ground, just start rolling
    Good thinking, in a t**t, your trapped, but in a hammock, it has a built in fire suppression system.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


  5. #5
    Senior Member nickgann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Posts
    326
    IDK, i sleep pretty close to the fires in winter and never have an issue. Obviously I am not fire marshall bill here but it doesn't bother me really.

  6. #6
    I watched a video recently, forget who exactly, sorry, but he showed his MSR tent with a fireproof stove hole in the tent wall, his hammock hung out of the way. I liked that part, help preventing a potential fire. He also said that he would let the fire go out before going to sleep. Makes sense to me.
    2010 Catrike Dash
    Quest QB005

    Previously owned:
    2010 Catrike Expedition W/ Veltop (Birthday present to my Dad -Happy trails!)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Granite Falls,Wa
    Posts
    224
    I know this is hard to believe....but i accidentally kicked my alcohol stove, this resulted in flaming fuel to splash all over my sil nylon tarp. The fuel simply burned out with no ill effects to the tarp.

  8. #8
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    5,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I know this is hard to believe....but i accidentally kicked my alcohol stove, this resulted in flaming fuel to splash all over my sil nylon tarp. The fuel simply burned out with no ill effects to the tarp.
    I'm glad you weren't hurt, but until someone does this 100 times with the same result, it's only an interesting anecdote.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NORTHWEST NORTH AMERICA
    Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by cesnyderces View Post
    He also said that he would let the fire go out before going to sleep. Makes sense to me.
    I have seen fires where people intend to "put the fire out before going to sleep", only problem is the drift off to sleep, before putting out the fire.

    We lived on the edge of a Federal Wilderness Area in Oregon, just outside of Portland. We would get at least a person a month that had been badly burnt, either with their little stove, their fire making practices, or sometimes their gear would melt onto their skin. Getting all wrapped in Nylon, while fun makes me very concerned...

    Anyway, just something to think about. I notice some of the nylon says that it is fire retardent, not sure about that statement nor what chemicals were used. I know they took the kids PJs that were fire retardent off the market, years ago, because of the chemicals used in the mfg.

    I guess I am just a might over concerned...

  10. #10
    Senior Member nickgann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    I have seen fires where people intend to "put the fire out before going to sleep", only problem is the drift off to sleep, before putting out the fire.

    We lived on the edge of a Federal Wilderness Area in Oregon, just outside of Portland. We would get at least a person a month that had been badly burnt, either with their little stove, their fire making practices, or sometimes their gear would melt onto their skin. Getting all wrapped in Nylon, while fun makes me very concerned...

    Anyway, just something to think about. I notice some of the nylon says that it is fire retardent, not sure about that statement nor what chemicals were used. I know they took the kids PJs that were fire retardent off the market, years ago, because of the chemicals used in the mfg.

    I guess I am just a might over concerned...
    If you really are worried, a guy out of Nashville TN developed a product for protecting houses from burning. More specifically protecting the wood for up to 4 hours or so.

    Anyhow the product can be painted or sprayed onto the wood during the construction process, perhaps you could coat your hammock. Not sure what the dry qualities are though and if/how it would affect the texture of the nylon.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •