Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Senior Member Hoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kearney, MO
    Hammock
    BRIDGE!!!!
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Downy Love
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Posts
    278

    Hangers of MO State Parks Heads Up

    Was not sure where to put this so I just stuck it here. MODS Feel free to move if needed.


    RadioHead and I packed up rolled to a State Park for an over night run.

    We were met by a friendly Park Ranger who informed us that MISSOURI (Not Federal National Forests) Has now placed a rule in effect around March of 2012 that says Hammocks are allowed for camping in MO State Parks however they must have 3 inch tree straps.

    Yes, 3 Inch wide straps. I would like to see the toggles used for whoopies on 3 in webbing LOL.

    My Solution to this if heading for a MO State Parks Camp Ground will be a 3 inch wide piece of webbing around the tree part where my strap will ride. He did not seem to blink an eye much at our 1 inch straps however mentioned that some park rangers and administrators won't be so friendly on the topic.

    I guess the whole hammocks in state parks was a widely disputed topic at first so the rules are going to be enforced.

    On a brighter note we had a nice warm night in the 21 Degree weather.
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

    Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

  2. #2
    gunner76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Beaufort, NC
    Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Posts
    5,855
    Images
    39
    have to watch out, them hammocks are dangerous creatures
    Last edited by gunner76; 01-22-2013 at 18:50.
    Merchants Mill Pond SP Swamp Hang

    www.neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

    Hammock Gear Time Line ..............Hammock Friendly Sites in NC

    I am 18 with 42 years of experience.

    Hammock Hangers...taking over the world..2 trees at a time !

    Warbonnet BB 1.7 and a whole lot of other great gear from the vendors on HF

  3. #3
    Senior Member Redpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    362
    I would purchase a suspension system like that, but it would leave me strapped for cash...
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Was not sure where to put this so I just stuck it here. MODS Feel free to move if needed.


    RadioHead and I packed up rolled to a State Park for an over night run.

    We were met by a friendly Park Ranger who informed us that MISSOURI (Not Federal National Forests) Has now placed a rule in effect around March of 2012 that says Hammocks are allowed for camping in MO State Parks however they must have 3 inch tree straps.

    Yes, 3 Inch wide straps. I would like to see the toggles used for whoopies on 3 in webbing LOL.

    My Solution to this if heading for a MO State Parks Camp Ground will be a 3 inch wide piece of webbing around the tree part where my strap will ride. He did not seem to blink an eye much at our 1 inch straps however mentioned that some park rangers and administrators won't be so friendly on the topic.

    I guess the whole hammocks in state parks was a widely disputed topic at first so the rules are going to be enforced.

    On a brighter note we had a nice warm night in the 21 Degree weather.
    Just curious, what did he say to make you think it was such a widely disputed topic?

    3 inch tree straps? Has anyone done any research or seen evidence that 3 inches is going to be any better for trees over 1inch. Id agree that straps are not totally harmless to trees but the damage I have seen to bark would be the same regardless of the width of strap.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kearney, MO
    Hammock
    BRIDGE!!!!
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Downy Love
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Just curious, what did he say to make you think it was such a widely disputed topic?

    3 inch tree straps? Has anyone done any research or seen evidence that 3 inches is going to be any better for trees over 1inch. Id agree that straps are not totally harmless to trees but the damage I have seen to bark would be the same regardless of the width of strap.
    He said (The Park Ranger), Until that rule was put in place Hammocking was not allowed in State Parks. Now that the Widely Disputed Topic is over it has been settled that it will be allowed with the use of 3 inch Tree Straps.

    The Resource Person that was there in the area said that Some parks might overlook the strap size where as many will enforce that rule. It depends on what Ranger you run into or what Administrator stops to check.

    That was the vast majority of that topic. There was an interesting topic on Tea and Coffee though.

    The Administrator and Ranger were kind enough to let us hang 4 hammocks up with the straps we had. Thus the reason we did not push the topic. I was full of fight over that 3 inch strap BS but kept my mouth shut.

    That's the brunt of it, take it for what you can!
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

    Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

  6. #6
    grannypat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the woods outside of Westminster, SC
    Hammock
    DIY, HH Exped BE
    Tarp
    Tadpole/Purple Pal
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Posts
    2,773
    Can you even buy 3" straps?
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Athens-m50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ATHENS, AL
    Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbn w/Whoopies
    Posts
    119
    I wounder if they would allow you to have a coupe of 3" pieces say....12" to wrap around the tree where your 1" straps go?

    this would be better that 6 or 10 foot straps 3" wide!!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Hoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kearney, MO
    Hammock
    BRIDGE!!!!
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Downy Love
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Athens-m50 View Post
    I wounder if they would allow you to have a coupe of 3" pieces say....12" to wrap around the tree where your 1" straps go?

    this would be better that 6 or 10 foot straps 3" wide!!!
    Thats what he told us to do. Wrap a 3 in around where the strap hugs the back side of the tree. Put our 1in straps around that.
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

    Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

  9. #9
    Senior Member vwgerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    southwest mo.
    Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&cinch buckles
    Posts
    133
    Images
    10
    Thanks, that's good to know. I would hate to have to go to the ground because my straps aren't wide enough. I think a couple of short pieces of 3" to put under my regular straps on the backside of the tree should solve the problem.

  10. #10
    simply_light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Hammock
    MYOG Hammock
    Tarp
    MYOG Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    84

    Link to 3" webbinh

    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Can you even buy 3" straps?
    Here's an option I found.

    http://www.amazon.com/ProGrip-227400.../dp/B006JY97I2

    Also, you could buy about 6 foot of 3" webbing off a shipping supplier and cut that in 4 equal lengths and sew 2 pieces together along the edges giving you a tubular webbing that could slide over your regular 1" straps.

    I couldn't find 3" tubular webbing by itself, or that would be an easier option.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •