Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Baffled with baffles

I am getting the ol' DIY bug again, I am afraid! I want to make an underquilt while I can get in on the good deal from Speer on down. But I have a question about baffles.

I don't understand how you attatch the noseeum to the shell fabric. I read to do a roll hem, but I cannot quite visualize what is meant by that. Does it mean to just roll hem the noseeum on top of the shell fabric, thus sewing a roll hemmed noseeum directly to the fabric? If not, can someone give explaining this process to me a shot? I really appriciate it...

Images
    Narwhalin,

the rolled hem supposedly makes it more durable. You can either do the rolled hem first and then sew it to the ripstop, or do it all in one operation. I attach the baffles on my quilts using a rolled hem presser foot. The presser foot eliminates the pinning part and makes a consistent rolled hem (and may also save some weight because it makes a narrow rolled hem, if you are concerned about fractions of ounces). This picture shows the process. The noseeum in the picture is already attached to the shell and is being sewn to the liner (same color as shell, hard to tell apart).

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Hi, Thanks for the photo but i cannot make out if your are doing your hem on just the no-seeum alone or the netting and the shell?

I have only used my foot to do a rolled hem on one thickness of material, for example; the long length of a hammock body.

You seem to be rolling the netting with the foot first and then attaching it to the shell but in the one go
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Hi, Thanks for the photo but i cannot make out if your are doing your hem on just the no-seeum alone or the netting and the shell?

I have only used my foot to do a rolled hem on one thickness of material, for example; the long length of a hammock body.

You seem to be rolling the netting with the foot first and then attaching it to the shell but in the one go
    Yes, I've followed Schneiderlein's instructions myself. It's a very nice technique. The needle is passing through both the no-seeum, and the shell. The hemming foot attachment is double-rolling the no-seeum just before the needle goes through it, and the shell below.

Grizz

I've never been able to get my hemming foot to work. Any tips on how to use this device?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Just for clarification, and because I'm apparantly thick or it's just too early in the morning - he is only roll-hemming the noseeum, right? He is roll-hemming the noseeum while at the same time attaching it to the shell, he is not feeding both the noseeum and the shell fabric through his roll hem foot at the same time. Rather, the shell fabric is beneath the foot and the noseeum fabric is running through the "curl" of the foot. Man, I need my morning caffeine!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Schneiderlein's method is really great, but I don't have a rolled hem presser foot. And if I did, I would need alot of practice before I could do it as perfect as I am seeing it in the picture. Someday I will be doing that. For those who need another method this is what I do;
    I put tape on the inside of the shell material to use as a guide. I make my noseeum about an inch wider then my desired baffle. Then I fold the sides of the noseeum once at about 3/8 of an inch and hem 1/4 inch from the fold. I do that to both sides of th noseeum. Then when I attach the noseeum to the shell I line up the place where i sewn before with the tape of the shell. I try to land just to the outside of the thread line from where I basted the netting. It gives me a nice straight line to follow b/c you can see through ne netting.
    This method takes longer and probably weigh a little more and isn't as strong as the hemming foot method, but you don't need any special pressor feet or skills.
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-11-2009 at 13:12.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i never found rolling a hem to be of much use, you are creating a baffle with one layer of fine mesh held by thread, and no matter how many times you fold that mesh, you are still left with one layer held by thread (with a bunch under that thread, where it doesnt add strength)
    but thats how I do it
    you want to give yourself at least a 3/16-1/4" edge to sew so the mesh doesnt tear away from under the thread.
    like FF, im pro'lly thick and its just too early
    Last edited by te-wa; 01-11-2009 at 11:47.

Images
    Just in case you are confused at how the baffles attach, I did a graphic on this post.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Just in case you are confused at how the baffles attach, I did a graphic on this post.
    Perfect. Thank you so much, all...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast