Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images

Looking for Best Ultralight Tarp Guylines

I could not find exactly what I was looking for. I use a cuben tarp and I am looking for either a reflective or yellow guyline that is possible of holding ~75-100lbs of force. I do not need no tangle cord. I coil my cord up each time I take down the tarp in the same sequence. Never had a tangle.

I'm currently using orange dynaglide but want something much smaller and lighter.

I would like it to be able to hold a knot so I can larks head it to my tarp and use the MSH for my stakes.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    This one is nice, but he always sells out fast. Send an email to be put on his list for when it's back in stock. http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Produ...wire-p881.html

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Nice. Does anyone have something lighter?

Anyone have any experience with hiviz yellow kite or fishing line in .6mm? I was looking at it but cannot find a supplier willing to do 50' rather than a metric ton or so.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

The line I am using is the G-Line from LiteTrail ( http://litetrail.com/shop/litetrail-...e-cord-50-feet )

It is lighter than the z-packs z-line 1.25, and the color is easily seen. Holds knots very well, although it may be slightly difficult to untie (or pop loose) the MSH, but that is just an observation as to how the line acts. It is very similar in design (almost exact) to the z-pack z-line so if you have any experience with that then you understand what I am saying.

FWIW I am using the 1.2 tech line from DIYGearSupply to function as the prussics and it holds extremely well on not only the G-Line but also the 1.25 Z-Line. Not one slip yet....
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

For anything lighter/smaller I would contact WV...The size of the lines he uses one would need a magnifying glass to work with.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    This one is nice, but he always sells out fast. Send an email to be put on his list for when it's back in stock. http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Produ...wire-p881.html
    I use this as well...it is 'brilliant'!
    Andy...

"...if Shug didn't make you do it, then it's Dutch's fault!"

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    The line I am using is the G-Line from LiteTrail ( http://litetrail.com/shop/litetrail-...e-cord-50-feet )

It is lighter than the z-packs z-line 1.25, and the color is easily seen. Holds knots very well, although it may be slightly difficult to untie (or pop loose) the MSH, but that is just an observation as to how the line acts. It is very similar in design (almost exact) to the z-pack z-line so if you have any experience with that then you understand what I am saying.

FWIW I am using the 1.2 tech line from DIYGearSupply to function as the prussics and it holds extremely well on not only the G-Line but also the 1.25 Z-Line. Not one slip yet....
    I do have some experience with it. After a while it breaks in and works better, but at first it is really difficult to use for knots.
    I was looking at the 1.2 tech line for weight, but it is not so great for visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    For anything lighter/smaller I would contact WV...The size of the lines he uses one would need a magnifying glass to work with.
    I hope he'll chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    I use this as well...it is 'brilliant'!
    Reflective chasing would be awesome, but that size and weight is not what I'm looking for.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Sorry I forgot to mention how I use it......

I made a continuous loop out of the 1.2 tech line and prussic wrapped it on the G-Line and then larks-headed the 1.2 to my tarp tie out. On one end of the G-Line I tied a bowline and on the other just a stopper knot. Attach the loop to my stake and then tighten the line via the prussic.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Fishing line?

You can get plenty of Spectra / Dyneema braided fishing line directly from the far east on ebay very inexpensively. I tried it, for fun last summer. It can work, and you can save an ounce.

But, thin guy lines call for as thin or thinner prusiks. A week ago, fingers numb from wet snow, and then just plain old cold the following night, I had trouble enough with 1.75mm line.

Contact me by pm for proof of concept if interested in 1.0mm braided dacron.

It meets your strength criterion, and I can find it (!!) even after relocating. Splices beautifully, is black, but cheap to try --mailing cost +$2 for 50 feet -- and you can see whether such thin stuff really is practicable.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 11-01-2012 at 02:25. Reason: spelling

The G-Line is lighter than the 1.2 Tech Line...

Tech Line weighs 0.009 oz/ft.

G-Line weighs 0.0088 oz/ft

Other than this I would send WV a PM asking for the type of lines he used on his hammock with the adjustable whoopies, than line was super thin, but it would definitely not easily visible. Maybe he would have another suggestion, that is whom I would go too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast