Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX250

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinajeep View Post
    Sounds like a great trip! Are you hiking, biking, motorcycle, car or something else?? I have been to most of the places you wrote about a you really really really need a tarp. Cooking, siting, relaxing, washing you gear, drying your socks really sucks in the rain and is not peaches in the blazing sun either. I have done some truly epic adventures and I can't tell you how much the little stuff makes or breaks your day. Read about other people's trips and learn from them. I read Louis and Clark, Cook and others. For me a life saver candy a day really helped with the "this sucks and I want to go home" blues. One last thing make sure you can sit on your hammock, fully sit comfortably. Trust me.
    Awesome advice. Thank you. We will be backpacking the entire trip! We will also do our best to ward any temptation of hitch-hiking.

This will be new to me. The longest I have gone walking was two months. I am a big L&C, Boon and Crockett fan myself! Wish I could go sooner. This trip is taking a lot of preparation. Do you have any resupply point recommendations?

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    If you go near kamloops, surplus herby's is great for hiking food and gear. Other than that you will need to give me your route and I'll make you a list. What boots are you going to wear?
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    If you go near kamloops, surplus herby's is great for hiking food and gear. Other than that you will need to give me your route and I'll make you a list. What boots are you going to wear?
    I will be updating my post in the trips forums with my route later. I have not decided on a boot yet. I have been really liking KINESIS PRO GTX boot by Scarpa. I am torn between Keen Newport H2s and Chaco Z/2s for sandals.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    You need to look at Shugs videos on you tube. Here's one to get you started, he has his own channel with dozens and dozens of videos,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHf5...wG7qA&index=41

He has probably used every, and I mean every, piece of hammock equipment sold in the US, especially by the smaller cottage vendors on here. And he gives in depth reviews of them, and show them in use in conditions you describe. Take part of a day and watch a bunch of them, they are very informative.

And he is always on this forum, and he will answer any questions you have right now.

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree that you will want a great tarp, and it can be lashed on to the outside of your pack, so it won't take up space. Sounds like a blast. You will need a suitable fly rod also.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IndependentJo View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys!

The Blizzard Survival Tube weighs in at 19.4 oz. I definatly do not need this however I really like the idea of being completely surrounded by the Reflexcell (http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/page...cell-faqs.html). It would be really nice if this could simply be built into the hammock or even in a double layer all around where I could add it in.
    The reasons I am currently looking to the Clark over the other fully enclosed options were these:
    1. Zipper - the zipper seems very durable and not as long as other models I have seen. This cuts down on weight and the possibility of a zipper failure. A zipper failure could really set me back.
    2. I like that the Clark's mosquito net and top fly simply unzip and flop over the side instead of fully unzipping and tucking these in somewhere.
    3. Rainfly - we talked about it velcroing together. Not a huge fan of velcro but it is easier to repair or replace than zippers.
    4. Pockets - with the exception of pockets on my pack I love them! They do add weight but it seems as though I could stick some down sleeves into these pockets. Maybe something from JacksRBetter. I was hoping by combinding that system with junglehammocks z-liner I wouldn't have to worry about a full under quilt.

I really do not think I will have room in my pack for four quilts (two top and two bottom) unless that will allow me to dump the sleeping bag. This would be a huge risk.

It would be nice if I could fit the entire system into a single waterproof compression sack.
    This sounds like quite the adventure! In reality, only the shakedowns will help you really determine what to bring. The clark would certainly treat you well. I don't own one and really like the DreamHammocks and Warbonnet - hence my recommendations for them.

Yes, by bringing those quilts you'd leave the sleeping bag at home. No risk at all there as most of the well-know long distance hikers use top quilts with their pads instead of sleeping bags as they save weight/bulk. You may need to bring a lightweight mat if you really expect to go to ground. If you did that, you could probably get away with a good mat and the 0* UQ and go pretty low.

If it's such a long trip, I'm assuming you'd be resupplying. Why not consider shipping some items to yourself/back home in true longer hike style so that you have what you need at the appropriate spots. I really don't think you'll go much below 0 without some sort of layered sleeping systems. Either 2 quilts or a quilt and pad. If needed, you could do the pad and 0* UQ in the really cold spots, layering as needed and using the pad when going to ground. Then, as it warms, ship the 0* home and the 20* to yourself, keeping the pad just in case you go to ground.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    I would not go with cuben for a long term every day tarp in all weather. My friend rip waverly had some concerns about packing up his when it had some frozen rain on it. I don't think anything happened but he has said he will not be taking it out in that weather ever again.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I had a chance to see a blizzard tube today. I don't thing it will last long and the condensation may be a real problem.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Thank you for all the great comments. At this point I am torn between the Warbonnet Blackbird and the Clark NX250.

Does anybody know if the NX250 is fully waterproof w/o a tarp? I will be bringing a tarp anyway but depending on the NX250 being waterproof or not will determine the size of tarp I go with.

How is the NX250 with laying diagnol/flat? I like the footbox feature of the warbonnet for the ease of laying diagnol.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    I had a chance to see a blizzard tube today. I don't thing it will last long and the condensation may be a real problem.
    I think you are right. I will get a hold of one anyway just to compare the warmth and condensation. I see a lot of people using reflective materials for additional warmth and do not want to brush it aside without giving it a chance.
    I might also try some double sided reflective underneath me just to see if the weight/warmth ratio makes sense. It would be really nice to find a highly durable reflective termarest that is shaped for a hammock so that shoulders and thighs are covered. This would easy a lot of my concerns of having to go bivy style on the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast