Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Winter UQ

  1. #11
    Member Gavin1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dalton GA
    Hammock
    eno single nest hammock
    Insulation
    0 degree bag
    Posts
    92

    Wink

    i have all ways slept cold so i find a few more clothes on or something along those lines but i all so do not sleep with a under quilt i just have my foam sleeping pad.

  2. #12
    Senior Member blaktee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Wazzup Caveman, that's my question. You have been to 18* with your 0* UQ, or approximately 20* above what it's rated for. So to go to say single digits do I need a -20* UQ? If I'm hiking at all I don't want to carry pads and extras, the quilt I carry should be enough. Car camping is one thing but hiking is another.
    I have a 0 incubator, I took it to -22

    I think ratings are conservative, especially if you set them up right.

  3. #13
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,715
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    ...... If I'm hiking at all I don't want to carry pads and extras, the quilt I carry should be enough. Car camping is one thing but hiking is another.
    This is the only reason I do not like the full length UQ. Too many people "replace" the pad with the FL UQ. A torso sized pad should be in every pack for colder temps. In fact the pad never leaves my pack. The UQ gets left behind in hot weather where you only need something a couple hours a night and the torso sized pad is used.

    The pad will cover going to ground, UQ wet/malfunction, and added warmth for unexpected temp drop. If I know I am going to be camping at the temp rating of the UQ I will include a larger pad to boost my insulation. Also I have never heard anybody complain about having more padding for your camp seat.

    Oh yeah, If you are only going to buy 1 UQ, get one that covers 3 season use for your region then supplement with a pad. Most people hike more Spring/Fall and only do an occasional winter trip. When in doubt go with the warmer quilt. Do not assume you can go 10-20* below a quilts temp rating. There are too many variables. I have used a 20* at 0* and then the next trip start getting cold when temps went below 20*.

    A small pad is just being prepared for a small weight/bulk penalty. You can tell not taking a pad pushed one of my buttons. Long live the (short) pad!

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    This is the only reason I do not like the full length UQ. Too many people "replace" the pad with the FL UQ. A torso sized pad should be in every pack for colder temps. In fact the pad never leaves my pack. The UQ gets left behind in hot weather where you only need something a couple hours a night and the torso sized pad is used.

    The pad will cover going to ground, UQ wet/malfunction, and added warmth for unexpected temp drop. If I know I am going to be camping at the temp rating of the UQ I will include a larger pad to boost my insulation. Also I have never heard anybody complain about having more padding for your camp seat.

    Oh yeah, If you are only going to buy 1 UQ, get one that covers 3 season use for your region then supplement with a pad. Most people hike more Spring/Fall and only do an occasional winter trip. When in doubt go with the warmer quilt. Do not assume you can go 10-20* below a quilts temp rating. There are too many variables. I have used a 20* at 0* and then the next trip start getting cold when temps went below 20*.

    A small pad is just being prepared for a small weight/bulk penalty. You can tell not taking a pad pushed one of my buttons. Long live the (short) pad!
    Doesn't a pad block your body warming the down underquilt? I bought my underquilt to not have to have a pad that is far less comfortable than the hammock material and comfort.

  5. #15
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,715
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Doesn't a pad block your body warming the down underquilt? I bought my underquilt to not have to have a pad that is far less comfortable than the hammock material and comfort.
    The point was that not taking a small pad because you have a full length UQ is not safe in cold temps. I agree that a FL UQ is more comfortable than a pad. I would only use the pad to supplement the UQ when needed or if I had to sleep on the ground because of a gear failure.

    The partial UQ's are a way of saving weight by hikers who are carrying the short pad anyways. They are a good balance between weight, comfort, and safety.

    Full Length UQ's ,with a short pad for backup, are the most comfortable but have a weight penalty for the UL hiker that is carrying the short pad for safety.

    I use a UQ that does not require a pad but I always have the pad with me. I chose a little more comfort over weight but I don't sacrifice the safety factor that a pad provides.

    BTW the pad provides warmth when your body and UQ can not keep up with the cold. Don't use the pad until it is needed but if you don't have it the only option is cold.

  6. #16
    Senior Member lazy river road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Posts
    3,242
    Images
    152
    I took my zero incubator down to 3 at the NJ winter hang and certainly could of gone lower and been comfortable. I've taken my twenty down to 15 or so and probably could get to around ten with it. When I pack for a trip (not car camping) I take my clothing into consideration. So if the weather is going to lets say get down to ten Ill bring my 20 rated quilt and clothing to supplement. I have to bring the clothing anyways to wear around camp and keep warm so I may as well sleep in them. If its going to be below 10 well then ill take my zero incubator and take a bit less clothing (for around camp and to sleep in) because my quilts are warmer. Its a balancing act and it really comes down to how warm or cold of a sleeper you are. I also always carry a torso length pad weather it be a 3/4 or full lengh UQ in case of emergency and I need to boost the temp of my UQ or (and I even hate mentioning it) going to ground.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

    Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

  7. #17
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,223
    Images
    129
    I use a FL 20* UQ in winter. with a 20F TQ or 5F SB depending on how cold it will get.
    No fan of the weight or bulk of a 0* UQ plus I only do 3-4 true winter hangs so it's hard to justify the cost of a 3rd UQ.
    I've added a breathable UQP and sleep in a big down jacket and insulated over pants when the temps get below 20F.
    It has been good down to +5F
    YMMV

    UQ with UQP
    I usually suspend the UQ asap to allow it to loft but don't put it under the hammock until bed time.
    I use the hammock as a seat and found the UQ just gets in the way.

    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-31-2013 at 09:37.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •