Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 478
  1. #211
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    B'Ham, Al.
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploriment View Post
    Hey thereisnospoon,

    Where did you find the Marpat material?
    Believe it or not...Wal-Mart. $1.00/yard....

  2. #212
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dearing, Georgia
    Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Posts
    349
    I know this thread is a few months old now...but I just joined the site and have to say thank you to each and every one of you for your input. I have now made my first hammock and have taken it on the trail once...there are some modifications that need to be done...but...it'll all work out. Again...Thanks and I'll keep ya posted on my progress.

  3. #213
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    I know this thread is a few months old now...but I just joined the site and have to say thank you to each and every one of you for your input. I have now made my first hammock and have taken it on the trail once...there are some modifications that need to be done...but...it'll all work out. Again...Thanks and I'll keep ya posted on my progress.
    by all means, keep us posted. & welcome to HF alex. ...tim
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  4. #214
    Member job13_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redmond, OR
    Posts
    85

    Argh

    I went and used this tutorial to make my own DIY Hennessy Hammock and I thought it had gone really well until I layed in the thing. I don't know what went wrong, but when I position myself at an angle the head portion of the edge of the hammock (the right side) gets really tight and pushes my body onto its side. It's super uncomfortable...definitely the opposite experience I've had with my Hennessy.

    I have no idea what I did wrong. Below are some pictures of the hammock as it is. If anyone has any clues as to how I can fix it, please let me know.


    In these two pictures you can somewhat see how the weird tension problem kicks me onto my side. If I lay straight I don't get a problem, and the higher I move towards the head, the worse it gets. Notice my disgruntle expression.





    Here is a pic of me laying at the opposite angle, which is more comfortable, but creates this huge ridge of tensioned fabric. What's up with this?



    Lastly is an un used side and front view of the overall hammock.





    Is there a way I can fix it? Do I need to re-roll it and whip it again? I thought I did it right (five equally distanced folds on either side)?

    Any advice would be great! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #215
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Nice job. It looks really good. Now smile a little....your in a hammock not in a tent.


    Quote Originally Posted by job13_5 View Post
    I went and used this tutorial to make my own DIY Hennessy Hammock and I thought it had gone really well until I layed in the thing. I don't know what went wrong, but when I position myself at an angle the head portion of the edge of the hammock (the right side) gets really tight and pushes my body onto its side. It's super uncomfortable...definitely the opposite experience I've had with my Hennessy.

    I have no idea what I did wrong. Below are some pictures of the hammock as it is. If anyone has any clues as to how I can fix it, please let me know.


    In these two pictures you can somewhat see how the weird tension problem kicks me onto my side. If I lay straight I don't get a problem, and the higher I move towards the head, the worse it gets. Notice my disgruntle expression.





    Here is a pic of me laying at the opposite angle, which is more comfortable, but creates this huge ridge of tensioned fabric. What's up with this?



    Lastly is an un used side and front view of the overall hammock.





    Is there a way I can fix it? Do I need to re-roll it and whip it again? I thought I did it right (five equally distanced folds on either side)?

    Any advice would be great! Thanks!
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  6. #216
    New Member terceiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by job13_5 View Post
    I don't know what went wrong, but when I position myself at an angle the head portion of the edge of the hammock (the right side) gets really tight and pushes my body onto its side. It's super uncomfortable...definitely the opposite experience I've had with my Hennessy.
    Since re-rolling and re-whipping costs nothing and can't make it worse, you're silly for not trying that first. I personally don't like Headchange's method and much prefer the Risk/Hennessy method. But I've also had some surprising success from the "fold in half/scrunch into a messy ball and whip" technique as well. In a nutshell: unwhip, re-roll, and try it again.

    Oh, and what FF said: smile a little!
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

  7. #217
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post
    Since re-rolling and re-whipping costs nothing and can't make it worse, you're silly for not trying that first. I personally don't like Headchange's method and much prefer the Risk/Hennessy method. But I've also had some surprising success from the "fold in half/scrunch into a messy ball and whip" technique as well. In a nutshell: unwhip, re-roll, and try it again.

    Oh, and what FF said: smile a little!
    What he said. Sorry did'nt read all of your post. Now I understand why you were'nt smiling.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  8. #218
    Member job13_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redmond, OR
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post
    Since re-rolling and re-whipping costs nothing and can't make it worse, you're silly for not trying that first. I personally don't like Headchange's method and much prefer the Risk/Hennessy method. But I've also had some surprising success from the "fold in half/scrunch into a messy ball and whip" technique as well. In a nutshell: unwhip, re-roll, and try it again.
    Okay, I'm on it...what should I be looking for in a good roll? What is the Risk/Hennessy method?

    Thank you! And I'll try smiling a bit. I get pretty frustrated when my projects don't work out...just breathe....

  9. #219
    Senior Member dblhmmck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Hammock
    DIY "Bridge Style"
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Huggers/Marlin
    Posts
    456
    Images
    104
    Hey friend,

    I know how you feel...about projects not meeting your expectations.

    Let me make a suggestion. It is based on my experience of first starting with a NON-asym HH and later upgrading to an asym. My first pitch of the asym was not as comfortable as the older model.

    Why? Well, since a sytmetrical hammock has pullouts equally spaced between head and foot, it calls for pulling the guylines directly perpendicular to the way the hammock is hung. But in an Asym, this is not the case. Try rotating the shoulder guyline about 15 degrees towards the head, and rotating the knee guyline towards the foot. I think this could help a lot- based on what I think I am seeing in your second photo.

  10. #220
    simpler is sometimes better. try sewing a hem in the end of the fabric. run some tiny string through there and cinch it tight and tie it off into a solid mass of fabric. now just loop a larks head/girth hitch around the mass with your suspension line. all the fabric is even. your guylines take up the slack on the sides. should feel alot like an eno hammock, but the hem isn't actually loaded due to the girth hitch.


    Quote Originally Posted by job13_5 View Post
    Okay, I'm on it...what should I be looking for in a good roll? What is the Risk/Hennessy method?

    Thank you! And I'll try smiling a bit. I get pretty frustrated when my projects don't work out...just breathe....

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •