WBBB
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    strap
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    More praise for Mountain Goat. After switching to my HG cuben fiber tarp I really missed having the skins/sleeves as I previously used for years with my silnylon tarps. Seemed like such a PITA trying to fold and roll the CF tarp up especially in the wind after using sleeves in the past. I know some say it's recommended to fold and roll cuben instead of using sleeves or stuffing but after going back to the fold/roll method i hated it.

I sent off an email to Kat about making me some last Sunday and they arrived today. Great communication, fast service and excellent product. TWO THUMBS UP!
    Recently received the same tarp and was looking at skins. What's the rational for fold/roll vs skins?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    strap
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    More praise for Mountain Goat. After switching to my HG cuben fiber tarp I really missed having the skins/sleeves as I previously used for years with my silnylon tarps. Seemed like such a PITA trying to fold and roll the CF tarp up especially in the wind after using sleeves in the past. I know some say it's recommended to fold and roll cuben instead of using sleeves or stuffing but after going back to the fold/roll method i hated it.

I sent off an email to Kat about making me some last Sunday and they arrived today. Great communication, fast service and excellent product. TWO THUMBS UP!
    Why are skins not recommended for cf tarps? I just received the HG cuben and was going to get skins...

Don't know why he's saying that, myself and many members here use skins with their cf tarps. Maybe pizza can chime in?

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7 / HH ULBA / GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    SWT JRB 8x8/Poncho
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Leighs/HHSS
    Suspension
    7/64 and 2mm WS
    Images
    I use Kat's skins on my ZPacks cuben tarp and have had no problems.

This quote below is copied from the ZPacks FAQ page. The question refers to tents, but is still relevant.

Should I Fold and Roll the tent or just cram it into the stuff sack?
    I normally fold and roll. It seems to trap less air and compress smaller compared to crumpling it up. It also keeps the tent from getting all wrinkly. Other than that, cramming should be fine too.

Yep, I roll mine up and pull the skins down as I do then end over end it in the skins and put it in my cf bishop bag.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp Sleeves (Snakeskins) by MountainGoat

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Yep, I roll mine up and pull the skins down as I do then end over end it in the skins and put it in my cf bishop bag.
    Exactly what I do. The tarp in skins folded end over end still fits perfect in the cuben stuff sack. There really is no issue using skins with cuben. It wrinkles more but the wrinkles come right out after it's pitched. In fact Hammock Gear offers cuben skins now. They claim an advantage to cuben skins is that it keeps the water inside and off your other gear in your pack. I still prefer the Mountain Goat noseeum ones though because they allow air to vent eliminating that annoying bubble you get in the center when drawing in the tarp. By using the stuff sack you still gain the advantage of keeping the rest of your gear dry when packing the wet tarp in your pack.

I'm not sure I buy the whole tarp venting deal in skins, most of the tarp is rolled up in itself and only a small surface area is exposed to the skins. Main reason I use skins is to keep them out of the way when deployed if I don't need them at the time, but there if the weather changes.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    I'm not sure I buy the whole tarp venting deal in skins,
    When I say venting I don't mean it as to dry the tarp out. I mean when you draw the tarp into the skins air is trapped in the tarp causing a bubble of air in the center where your two ends of skins come together. You have to slowly squeeze that air out to get your tarp stuffed into the skins in that center area. With mesh skins they don't trap air and you can gather the tarp in quicker. I had silnylon skins before and I always had the air bubble issue.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Just received my tarp sleeves in the mail today. They're perfect, and katharina was a pleasure to deal with.

Hammock
    WB XLC Blackbird double 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtpilot1 View Post
    Just received my tarp sleeves in the mail today. They're perfect, and katharina was a pleasure to deal with.
    Goat mine in mail today also for my Superfly. Very impressed with product and service!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast