Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: WBBB sl vs dl

  1. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    16
    I haven't used a single layer, but I can say that I've never had a problem staying cool in my double layer. Last summer it was a great place to cool off when daytime temps hit 90. At night I still had to use a pad. It certainly doesn't feel like the extra layer is doing anything to keep me warm (which isn't a bad thing).

    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    Is it a big difference staying cool in the double layer vs. single layer during hot, humid conditions?

  2. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Abingdon, VA
    Posts
    8
    I have the DL 1.7 black bird and a DL 1.1 traveler and if you are over 200 pounds there is no comparison in comfort. Also I'm not sure why but my pad stays put much better in my BB than my traveler, might be due to the footbox. Hope this helps...

  3. #13
    Senior Member Mugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    West Texas plains
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Man View Post
    +1 on the double layer. I have two, a 1.1 and a 1.7. It just gives you more options. Ask around where you live and see if there are any Blackbird owners near you or visit a hang somewhere nearby. That would give you a chance to see different versions before you make a commitment. IMHO You can't go wrong with a double layer unless you are a true gram weenie. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    I too have been convinced of the double layer way, do you see any difference between the 1.1 and 1.7 worthy of notation?

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    central, florida
    Posts
    70
    I have the dl and it works well when I use an insulation pad also it's supposedly harder for insects to bite thru, which I'll find out real soon.

  5. #15
    Caveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Springtown, Tx.
    Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Posts
    2,007
    I like the single layer. But... I use it for backpacking and I use underquilts. If you are using a pad, then DL would probably suit you better.

    Bugs aren't a problem with permethrin.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

  6. #16
    I'm looking at getting a WBBB XLC 1.7DL. If I slide a poncho liner between the layers of a DL, will my weight compress the insulation too much? Is a closed-cell pad, or under-inflated inflatable the only way to go? Most of my camping will be in 60-70 degrees and above, so I won't need much under insulation, but I like the idea of a cheap, light moderately insulating, bug-bite-free layer underneath me.

    Also, I know the second layer is not stitched full length. Will inserting anything between the layers mean that it will be open to bugs, water, etc getting between the layers? I'll obviously have a tarp, but I'm just concerned with keeping the space between layers clean and bug-free.

  7. #17
    New Member SM_Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.9
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0 Degree
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by McDonut View Post
    I'm looking at getting a WBBB XLC 1.7DL. If I slide a poncho liner between the layers of a DL, will my weight compress the insulation too much? Is a closed-cell pad, or under-inflated inflatable the only way to go? Most of my camping will be in 60-70 degrees and above, so I won't need much under insulation, but I like the idea of a cheap, light moderately insulating, bug-bite-free layer underneath me.
    You may want something underneath you...even at 70 degrees, it can be a bit more than cool. Your weight may compress it a bit, but only you can test what's going to work for you. Recommend CCF...
    Quote Originally Posted by McDonut View Post
    Also, I know the second layer is not stitched full length. Will inserting anything between the layers mean that it will be open to bugs, water, etc getting between the layers? I'll obviously have a tarp, but I'm just concerned with keeping the space between layers clean and bug-free.
    You needn't be concerned...the opening between the layers is on the inside of the hammock, so unless you drag it in with you, those things won't bother you at all.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by SM_Shawn View Post
    You may want something underneath you...even at 70 degrees, it can be a bit more than cool. Your weight may compress it a bit, but only you can test what's going to work for you. Recommend CCF...
    You needn't be concerned...the opening between the layers is on the inside of the hammock, so unless you drag it in with you, those things won't bother you at all.
    Good to know. I did not pick up from the videos I saw that the openings were inside.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ijamsville,md
    Posts
    135
    I have 2 - dl 1.1s and my 12yr old uses a pad and is very cozy.The bigger you are and the pad is harder to keep coverage. Pads don't breath either so condensation may be a factor. I have been thinking of trying a real thin pad for hot nights even though I just purchased a 40d set from Hammock gear.
    It seems to be easier to keep warm than to keep cool,but I am still trying to figure it all.There are so many factors in being comfortable you have to try different things.One thing I know for sure is, since my son wants to be close I keep him in poking distance because his snoring kept me up one night when I could not reach him.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •