Short woven hammock

Hello Hammock Forums! I often find my self at work envisioning myself living in a tiny house and being able to move on a whim. Right now I am working on insulating a cargo van that I will be able to dwell around minnesota with on the weekends...it is almost complete!! woo. BUT I have realized that a van is not what I actually want.

I want something without an engine. Ice fishing is pretty popular around here, and people have come up with some really cool ideas for tiny houses. Heres a couple links to some that I like.

I see these parked around and have looked at them at a icefishing shows before as well, they are basically fully furnished trailer houses, that are relatively portable.
    http://icecastlefh.com/

Another Style that I have seen that I like is http://www.zachmeiermfg.com/ These trailers are very light, but I have not seen one with full amenities.

I would Like to create something that is a combination of the two. Something more like the second like, but with a bathroom in the front.

I spent a lot of time thinking of different designs for sleeping arrangements, and have often thought of using a futon or a hammock or both.

My IDEAL trailer size would be 6x10 and a height of 6.5...but I have been searching Craigslist and Im thinking Ill just buy something that is a good deal.

SO anyways I need help with the whole hammock thing. I can read about them online, but its hard for me to envision this without seeing something in person. As far as I know there isn't really a hammock store in Minnesota. I have checked around in amazon, seaside hammocks and a few of the links on this site as well, but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for. So if someone could point me into the right direction that would be great!

What I want in a hammock:
    I want a brazilian or mayan style something with netting.
    It needs to be able to fit in shorter places, I envisioned something that could fit corner to corner, and I could unclip it from one side and kind fold it up out of the way.
    TWO PEOPLE naps a least. I refuse comprise for a hammock that is so small only one person could fit into it. I don't like to sleep alone every night.
    It would be great if it was colorful but whatever.

Seaside hammock seems to have a couple I would like to check out but im pretty nervous about ordering. They have a short mayan and they also have a "boat" hammock that is shorter. Prices seem to good to be true. Heres a link: http://www.seasidehammocks.com/

Well I think that sums it up, If anyone has any advice on what hammock to get or what a minimal size for the trailer should be let me know! And after I post this I wont be able to check until sometime after 10 at the earliest so sorry that I can't get back to ya'll right away! have a great FRIDAY!

colty
    Last edited by cokatominnesota; 02-01-2013 at 14:11. Reason: my link my bad

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    wonder if jay from http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ could figure out a hammock friendly tiny house. The guy is pretty inventive and I bet we could get him hooked on hanging over his plain foam mattress.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    How's the weather?
    Insulation
    JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    Strap'BinerWhoopie
    Images
    You may want to visit or attend a group hang in your area. I've met lots of great folks this way and just about everyone is willing to let you try out their gear and see what you like. Good luck on your searching.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...play.php?f=114
    - Loki,

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn."
    John Muir

Hey, thanks for the responses, never seen that tumble weed houses site, he does have some really cool designs. Im thinking something a lot more simpler then that.

I should check out a group hang, not sure if there would be a lot of woven hammocks? but would like to see some of the other set ups...

I have still been searching on and off and haven't found much besides the short hammocks off the seaside website. Im going to keep searching before I order one of those...

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    mayan hammcks tend to cost less than camping hammocks, i sleep in a tommy hammaca xx grande in the summer from seaside hammocks , it is the most comfortable hammock ive ever been in, [and i own a lot of hammocks], it is however a real pain to insulate.
    in my experience the company is very good to deal with
    good luck

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I will give you some generalities but, as with anything, there are probably some things that break the rules nicely

• With Mayan and Brazilian hammocks you can have comfortable or you can have short/compact... not both
    • I have yet to see anyone comment that it is nice to sleep the night together in a hammock. Nap... yes... sleep all night... no.
    • As the previous poster mentioned... Mayans were made for the tropics for a reason (and they are great at being the coolest option of anything but if it dips below 70 degrees or so then it will be a bit chilly)

I have a big Mayan (14+ feet long) and a huge tablecloth Brazilian (90x156 plus mini spreader bars) and they are VERY comfortable but need a wide span, lots of sag, and a fairly wide hang space since you can get almost perpendicular to your hammock if you want. Without measuring anything I would say that you are looking at 11 (or 12) L x 5.5 H x 3 W. You can work out something smaller but you'll probably sacrifice comfort to some degree. If you find one of the smaller options to be very comfy then I would really like to know I'm trying to fit a Mayan and a Brazilian into the cockpit and cabin of my 30 foot sailboat. I might have to go with a smaller hammock. My ENO DN is my best bet for fitting something in those spaces but I was hoping for a Mayan option for the hotter months.

Best of luck.

(I should note that I'm 6'2" 220 lbs and have a WBBB, WBRR, ENO DN, DIY, jumbo sized Mayan, huge Brazilian tablecloth... and who knows what is next)
    "Laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure" - Dale Gribble

The Florida Hangers Facebook page and the Florida Hangers web page

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think you are trying to stuff 10 lbs of whatever into a 5 lb bag. If you are planning on a minimal livable setup. The diagonal on a 6x10 trailer is less than 12 ft and you cannot use a spreader bar because of the corners. If you are going to have company you also probably need to wall off a toilet room that will further reduce hang length.

I'd start by calling or emailing the folks who make a hammock you like and asking what the hang length is. I would also take a piece of paper and draw a 6x10 rectangle on it then cut a second piece scaled 2 ft wide and a foot longer than your height. figure out how that fits in your rectangle over a corner to corner diagonal to see how you can fit. Go to 3 wide for company.

I'd also go to a couple of camping trailer shows just for ideas.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Mr. Pips and I have been contemplating a travel trailer that would accommodate two hammocks. The best we've come up with is a screen room outside under the awning of the trailer with two TurtleLady stands.

Watching this thread with interest.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I might have to take one for the team in the future and try the Mayan Short Double Hammock. Even though I'm "too tall" according to their recommendations to sleep all night in it the dimensions are similar to an ENO DN. Most people say I'm too tall to be comfy in a DN (I'm 6'2") but I can get very comfortable in my DN and used to sleep in it every night until I made my huge tablecloth Brazilian.

Maybe some day (I'm not in a hurry).

Dave
    "Laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure" - Dale Gribble

The Florida Hangers Facebook page and the Florida Hangers web page