Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    One of the primary reasons I purchased my 1st hammock was for a hiking/backpacking trip to Molokai.
    On Moloka'i you should go on the tour of the Nature Conservancy's Kamakou preserve, to see what Moloka'i was really like before people wrecked it. The native forest birds are almost entirely extinct, but there are some interesting native plants. The TNC site should have a list of tour dates for the year.

Pohakuloa, where I will be the first week of February, is experiencing 50 MPH winds today. It's a scrub/shrubland, so there's nowhere to hide. The wind was reading 80-100MPH on the summit ridge. I guess if I can use my hammock there I'll take it down and store it in the car during the day, even though that's more work.
    Last edited by bkrownd; 01-16-2009 at 21:47.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    Your Hawaii TRs are interesting. Keep 'em coming. If permitted by landowners and government authorities, one would think hammocks would be perfect for Hawaii.

...The native forest birds are almost entirely extinct...
    That's awful. Good to read about all this plant and wildlife surveying and consequent habitat restoration.

After they shoot feral cows, they put that beef to good use, like donate it to homeless shelters or food banks?

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Asym
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    I received the JRB Winter Nest and the Weathershield and some of their tarp tensioners and lots of new cordage (flourescent!). I'd love (need) to practice setting everything up, but haven't located anywhere that'll work yet. : I only have 4 easy hangs of experience, and have not perfected the setup angles and tensions yet, or decided on knots.

I also need to (attempt to) go visit this location and find out if any of the trees are tall and strong enough and the right distance apart for hammock support!

I need to move the tarp outside the snakeskins since I'll have to pack up quick at 4AM daily with no way to dry anything out. I may leave my tarps up if it isn't windy, and cover them with a cheap plastic camo tarp/net for the day to deter theft. Hopefully I'll find a private enough spot for sleep, security and changing.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Asym
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    Your Hawaii TRs are interesting. Keep 'em coming. If permitted by landowners and government authorities, one would think hammocks would be perfect for Hawaii.
    They are, for many reasons. In a pig-free area it can be very difficult to find clear flat dry ground the size of a tent footprint.

That's awful. Good to read about all this plant and wildlife surveying and consequent habitat restoration.
    It's a relatively new concept here, but seems to be growing exponentially after a very slow start. Hopefully the momentum will be enough to slow the weed and vermin invasions soon. Some of the necessary steps are politically unpopular, though. Fences, restrictions, poisons, biocontrols, exterminations, snares, culls, money, involvement of "outsiders", etc. Lots of angry people at public hearings who don't like the sound of one thing or another.

After they shoot feral cows, they put that beef to good use, like donate it to homeless shelters or food banks?
    Initially they usually only shoot the bulls, because the bulls are very dangerous, disrupt ranch herds, and break fences. The neighboring ranches try to trap the cows and truck them to the slaughterhouse, but eventually there are a few that are so remote or shy they can only be eliminated by rifle, on foot or from helicopter. If the carcass is remote there's no point trying to salvage it.

One of the obstacles to removing sheep and pigs from the forests is objections of "wasting meat". (As if there were ever a shortage of meat, of all things) Snared pigs can't be eaten. Sheep and goats are shot from helicopter on the remote mountainsides, and the effort to remove the carcasses would be ridiculous. However, to generate better PR they grab some of the easier ones and give them away. (for a good premium over what it would cost at the supermarket, I'd expect) I think they might even enlist some people who know hunting to dress the recovered carcasses. I don't really know the details.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    bkrownd - Aloha - I'll be on Maui mid March for 12 days - hoping to hang there some. Would love any upcountry suggestions if you have any for Maui. PM if possible. Aloha and Mahalo!

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific report and a very different documentation of a hammock experience. Sounds like you are hooked. It takes a bit of practice but ain't the comfort worth it?
    Beautiful pix.....
    Shug of the Sandy Socks
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

Shug and Friends Jammin'

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Asym
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    I just got back from a week of bird surveys on Mauna Kea, in particular counting the (very) endangered palila. We stayed in the driest part if the island, Pohakuloa, at the base of the South slope of Mauna Kea, at about 6000 feet elevation. The weather was very dry and calm all 3 nights I was there, with fairly ideal sleeping weather of 45-55F.

Pohakuloa is a large military training base and firing range (on many square miles of recent lava flows), and our accomodations on the edge of the base were more interesting than usual because they were training in helicopters over the impact area this year. Choppers, rockets and machine guns every night until between 10PM and midnight. Pohakuloa is locally famous for the recent depleted uranium controversy, after finding fragements of DU scattered across the base and some people claiming to measure elevated radioactivity in the air (via dust). Exciting, huh? On the bright side the fact that Pohakuloa is a federal facility means that the native plants and animals have to be protected by law, and they have a large conservation facility and staff. Pohakuloa's greenhouses grow some of the world's rarest plants. Some are decended from just a handful of the last individuals in existance at remote locations on the base. Some were even thought to be extinct for many decades.

I didn't have much time to set up, so instead of look for a decent place in the scrub forest I chose to take the easy route and set up in the abandoned aviary, making use of the structural posts to tie off. I actually set up my hammock in one of the large aviary pens. This is the aviary where they used to breed and raise larger endangered native birds, such as the hawaiian goose (nene), crow ('alala), moorhen ('alae 'ula), etc. It was abandoned probably around the early 1980's when newer facilities in more appropriate locations were developed. The chicken wire and wood walls and "ceiling" of the aviary also protected my hammock from theft, pigs, mynas, and freak weather. It worked out well.

I got my Winter Nest underquilt and Weathershield a while ago, but various things kept me from testing them out. First I took the opportunity to move my tarp outside of the snakeskins while setting up. This became a source of headache during teardown because it was difficult to roll up the slippery tarp outside of the snakeskins - need to do something about that. Not testing the underquilt was a bit of a problem because the directions that ship with the underquilt include tiny photos that are quite impossible to see any details in. I wrestled with the underquilt for about a half hour before figuring out what was going on. The Weathershield went on easily after that. My only real complaint is that the velcro (hate that stuff) on the underquilt didn't stick to the hammock entrance velcro very strongly, and I frequently had to re-attach it during the week while getting in and out. Well, it was a success anyhow.

Inside the hammock I used my Marmot Trestles 0F sleeping bag under me, and my Marmot Helium 15F bag on top of me. I wore a winter hat, flannel jammies, long sleeve shirt and "fleece" jacket. I was taking no chances with the quality of my sleep! (We were in bed at 9PM and up at 4AM every day, and counting birds on transects on the mountainside from 7AM to noon.) I ditched the flannel jacket the last night because it was just too warm. I had problems with being too cold with just the Helium bag this autumn, but I was toasty and comfortable on this outing with the double sleeping bag and new underquilt. Next time I'll ditch the synthetic bag.

Unfortunately the palila are not sleeping so well. The population continues to decline and it looks like they may get elevated to critically endangered. I'm working on the photos this evening and will post some photos of my odd setup as they become available.
    Last edited by bkrownd; 02-05-2009 at 23:59.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Asym
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Photos of the setup:

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Regarding the velcro issue. During my short time as a HH user I didn't bother mating the Nest with the HH entry velcro. The JRB suspension system allows you to just slide the Nest and WS to the side, slip in. Your weight with sometimes a bit of a wiggle caused the Nest + WS to slip back into position.

Bit confused with your SnakeSkin and tarp situation. With the stock HH tarp just sliding the SS back over the tarp is quick and easy if you leave the SS on the tarp ridge guy lines and rig the tarp on its own line vs. the HH suspension line.

Perching with the birds. Good use of what was available.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Images
    Pretty cool having the protected place to hang your hammock! Nice shots of the birds too!
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!