Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HangLow View Post
    This PDF of a caving publication called "Nylon Highway" indicates that the elongated "W" is strongest. Pages 12-15 include tests of several stitches.

I think I found the link via HF a while back, but not sure. I use the "W" with 1.5” polyester seatbelt webbing.
    Yes, you are correct. Thanks for the additional source info. I finally just copied the pic to my desktop because the thread was hard to find sometimes.

Just to clarify, the "W" method I use is shown in the first two examples rated at 100% and 70%. I think some may be calling this parallel stitching, which is a good name, and less confusing than the middle example rated at 50%.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
    I really like the way you did that loop. How's it holding up? What made you decide to do it that way?
    Thanks, they hold up to the abuse very well. I haven’t retired a pair yet. The folded and stitched eye is not an original idea, stole it from my climbing gear (Quick Draws to be precise) Except for odd implementations, the most common wear points on tape/flat webbing are the edges, especially on a “bite” (tightly raped on hardware). I started doing this for straps where I’m attaching the Whoopie Sling/DW Whoopie Hook directly (via Lark’s head) but now I use it for all suspension types.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Otter, those are the prettiest straps I've ever seen. Sweet. We should expect no less from the one who has 4 hammocks in his media room.
    Well they don’t look pretty for long; they only need to hung the pines once or twice before they’re covered in sap and flakes of bark!

We might as well change the name from “Media Room” to “Nap Room” I have yet to stay awake for a full movie in there. Better yet, we should call it “[o]TTeR Sleep Institute” cause it cures insomnia!
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Detail Man - Thank you ever so much for that chart!

The 'W' is one format that I had not seen used much which surprises me since it's the strongest!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I love it when threads pop up on stuff I've been contemplating. Lots of good info that I haven't seen before. I think all my straps from here out will have the W or parallel stitch with the loop bar tacked, provided my wife's machine does that.

First timer here, been lurking for some time now getting lots of info.

I'm actually making some straps this week and I'm wondering what are the opinions of how the strap loop needs to be. When making them, do they need to just fold over and then stitch? Or do they need to be twisted once, then folded over and stitched? Would love to hear from the veterans, thanks!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I think most people just fold and sow. That's all I've ever done.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    First timer here, been lurking for some time now getting lots of info.

I'm actually making some straps this week and I'm wondering what are the opinions of how the strap loop needs to be. When making them, do they need to just fold over and then stitch? Or do they need to be twisted once, then folded over and stitched? Would love to hear from the veterans, thanks!
    Like JSawyer and others I've made every style, starting with box and X and bar tacks because I could make them look neater.

Now I just do the WW like in Detail Man's chart, the far left one, and most of the time I do a box around them. It doesn't turn out as pretty but I've never had one fail either.

For 1" webbing I just fold over a little over 4" and sew the last 3 inches, leaving width for the strap to pass through the eye flat if I need to use it that way. I never actually measure them unless somebody's paying for them...

Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I just finished my sets of tree straps and used the multiple W pattern on the far left.

Even with sewing experience I knew that getting that pattern neat on 1" webbing was going to be a challenge so I cheated...

I took my fabric marker and made 4 dots across the one end and 5 dots across the webbing 4" away. Aiming at each dot was way simple. The dots will fade with time, the stitching will look neat forever!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I did nothing pretty, 4 lines where I went back and forth with a straight stitch a few times. No problems.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234