Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NE GA
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/SSniveller
    Suspension
    Tri-Glide Set
    Posts
    48

    JRB First Impressions

    First off JRB ROCKS! Thanks Jacks! The 3 Seasons Special was ordered Wednesday afternoon, and was slept in Saturday night; great purchasing experience!

    This is my noob perspective of my first hammock camping experience:

    The tarp functioned as a tarp. It wasn't easy to hang, but a pair of Dutch Flyz has been ordered to facilitate the process. The operator didn't hang it high enough, so a sock was used on the ends of the spreader bars for protection.

    The BMBH UL was easy to hang, and was plenty comfortable. I am afraid of putting too much tension on the netting zipper, so a Dutch Detachable Adjustable UCR ridgeline has been ordered to, maybe, keep doo-doo from occurring. After learning an ingress/egress method, the hammock did not seem tippy at all, in fact, I found laying on it with the spreader bars almost vertical most comfortable. With the bars in the horizontal position, and lying on my back, there was some squeeze, but more in the lat area than the shoulders, making it difficult to lay with my elbows at my sides. I'm thinking I might try a pad, and see how that works. Side sleeping was a breeze.

    I am a cold sleeper, and my toes got a little nippy, but everything else stayed warm inside of the Jack's quilts with fleece sleepwear, cap, and neck gator on a 31F night.

    Overall, I'm excited about getting involved in a new hobby, and Jacks R Better has made it easy and comfortable to get started.

  2. #2
    Acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana Wooded Hills
    Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH UL, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/TeWa
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Posts
    3,808
    Images
    14
    As you spend more time in the JRB BMBH UL you will find it more and more comfy. Its a great bridge hammock. And they have fantastic service as you just found out. Enjoy your hangs?

  3. #3
    Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Western, NC
    Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    How's the weather?
    Insulation
    JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    Strap'BinerWhoopie
    Posts
    1,712
    Images
    50
    the Thermarest wide NeoAir pads are great in my jrb deluxe bridge. The baffles run across the pad not lengthwise. there is a thread for this somewhere with photos.
    - Loki,

    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn."
    John Muir

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NE GA
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/SSniveller
    Suspension
    Tri-Glide Set
    Posts
    48
    Hahahaha! Here's to Jacks' built in abuse resistance! I just hooked an adjustable ridgeline to the end rings, and stretched the hammock to about the same tension I had it for my first night out. I won't say how far apart the outer edge of the rings were. Suffice it to say, it is amazing how easy it is to attach and remove the spreader bars with the ridgeline keeping the rings inside the maximum prescribed span. As far as I can tell, nothing was damaged from the first stretch, but I just don't think it is recommended. Boy, do I have a lot to learn. Is it ok to use the ridgeline? Can anyone straighten my thinking? What is safe, and what is irrelevant? I know, thanks to y'all, I am enjoying all of this, and, to me, that is what matters most!
    Still shakin' it Boss, still shakin' it.

  5. #5
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,698
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by fartintone View Post
    Hahahaha! Here's to Jacks' built in abuse resistance! I just hooked an adjustable ridgeline to the end rings, and stretched the hammock to about the same tension I had it for my first night out. I won't say how far apart the outer edge of the rings were. Suffice it to say, it is amazing how easy it is to attach and remove the spreader bars with the ridgeline keeping the rings inside the maximum prescribed span. As far as I can tell, nothing was damaged from the first stretch, but I just don't think it is recommended. Boy, do I have a lot to learn. Is it ok to use the ridgeline? Can anyone straighten my thinking? What is safe, and what is irrelevant? I know, thanks to y'all, I am enjoying all of this, and, to me, that is what matters most!
    Ridgeline use or don't... just do not pull the primary rings more than 9'3 "...If you follow the hanging directions with the BMBH you should be getting a 9-9'3" every time even without a ridge line.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  6. #6
    fallkniven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Posts
    2,096
    Images
    447
    I have a ridgeline on mine, but it's solely for hanging stuff on. I keep it just taunt enough to hold stuff up without sagging, but not putting any tension on the hammock.

  7. #7
    Senior Member chewbacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Ridgeline use or don't... just do not pull the primary rings more than 9'3 "...If you follow the hanging directions with the BMBH you should be getting a 9-9'3" every time even without a ridge line.

    Pan
    I checked my ridgeline length today and I have been hanging it at around 9'5". I moved it to 9' 3" and the bug net seemed a bit saggy. When I had it at 9'5 it did not seem to put too much tension on the net, and held it higher. Is this 2-3" difference critical if it does not seem to be pulling on the bug net? I have the newer bmbh deluxe with zipper.

  8. #8
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,698
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    I checked my ridgeline length today and I have been hanging it at around 9'5". I moved it to 9' 3" and the bug net seemed a bit saggy. When I had it at 9'5 it did not seem to put too much tension on the net, and held it higher. Is this 2-3" difference critical if it does not seem to be pulling on the bug net? I have the newer bmbh deluxe with zipper.
    Minor sag in the bug net is much preferred to stringing it too tight and causing corner tear in the bug net.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NE GA
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/SSniveller
    Suspension
    Tri-Glide Set
    Posts
    48
    Just for some clarification, my hammock is the UL version; 105" max.

    After re-reading the instructions, there must be some subjectivity when it comes to the word "taut". From my perspective, the bug net never did get "taut". So, the suspension was banjo strung then relaxed slightly. The distance between the primary rings was a mystery until I got home, used the same hanging technique, and could measure. I was shocked! It is a testament to the quality of the gear to survive that manner of misuse.

    My employer put me in the QA lab because of my ability to inadvertently destroy things. I think I will keep the ridgeline connected to, hopefully, protect the equipment.
    Still shakin' it Boss, still shakin' it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BackPackHiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Keswick, ON
    Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Posts
    377

    Cold Toes

    I love my JRB hammock too. I am glad you are enjoying it. For me I like to boil some water, put it in my water bottle and use it as a heating pad throughout the night. This warms up the entire set up in a short time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •