Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Posts
    142

    Reindeer or Caribou pelts

    I am in the north of Norway, and up here the Sami are herding tame reindeer for slaughter. Wich means reindeer hides even show up for sale in super markets.

    These are just fantastic to sleep or sit in in the snow. The hairs are still on, and they are naturally hollow making them one of the best natural insulators in the world. I had one when I was in the army, and as we where a mechanized unit we were expected to drive into our heroic deaths for king and country if the Russians ever decided to cross the border. Which meant that on excercises, we were car camping, army style!

    It also meant we had room for our reindeer pelts to sleep on when out on winter excercises, and we were never cold...well with a wood stove burning so hot it was literally jumping in the tent, we where sort of warmish anyway.

    But we where never cold from under us. And most of the time we jsy had a thin pad, then the reindeer pelt and an army issue sleeping bag that was just horrible.

    Anyway, these pelts are pretty wide, and soft. And should be perfect for a hammock. Provided it can be carried in on a pulk or by car, as they are both heavy and quite bulky.

    They also smell a little, and if my wife finds out I've spent even more money on camping gear now, she willl use the whoopie slings to hang me...

    But the idea is there :-)

  2. #2
    MDSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Snyder, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 30d MARPAT
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod
    Suspension
    ISLS with UCRs
    Posts
    2,190
    Sounds like an excellent idea, Rune.

    We slaugher a few Bison for food here in the States and I'm sure their pelts would be excellent bottom insulation. But they are big and expensive. Antelope have hollow hair but they are treated as game animals. That would be a fun hunt and nice pelt in addition to the meat. I have a sheep's fleece to use if ever I go hammocking in the snow. But right now we'd welcome a good rain in Texas!

    .
    Mike

    But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. (Luke 5:16 NIV)

    He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 ESV)

    While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. (1 Thessalonians 5:3 ESV)

  3. #3
    Big Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    sandsprings ok
    Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Posts
    539
    Images
    10
    I bet it would do a great job blocking the wind. Might have to hang it with a rope or cord for the weight. Or just sleep on it like a pad. if ya find one with a RED nose send it my way ill pay the shipping
    "Every good marine has at least one artical 15" Chesty

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyavmc View Post
    I bet it would do a great job blocking the wind. Might have to hang it with a rope or cord for the weight. Or just sleep on it like a pad. if ya find one with a RED nose send it my way ill pay the shipping
    I think it's best to use it as a pad. hanging it like a UQ it does nothing. As for the red nosed one it's to late

    Last edited by Rune; 02-11-2013 at 01:30.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Sounds like an excellent idea, Rune.

    We slaugher a few Bison for food here in the States and I'm sure their pelts would be excellent bottom insulation. But they are big and expensive. Antelope have hollow hair but they are treated as game animals. That would be a fun hunt and nice pelt in addition to the meat. I have a sheep's fleece to use if ever I go hammocking in the snow. But right now we'd welcome a good rain in Texas!

    .
    Sheep fleece is nice to. I use one in the toddlers trolley when he is having his afternoon snooze in his trolley. That and a good sleeping bag combined with wool from skin to outside keeps him quite toast and happy in his little cocoon :-)

    Norwegian kids have their daytime snoozes outside down to around 14*F, right from they are born. Even in kindergarten. I guess thats why we like sleeping out in the breeze so much :-)

  6. #6
    Junebugdawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Greenwood, SC
    Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    loops/Dutch Buckle
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Norwegian kids have their daytime snoozes outside down to around 14*F, right from they are born. Even in kindergarten. I guess thats why we like sleeping out in the breeze so much :-)
    It's amazing how different the mindset is in various regions, even in the US. I used to teach 4 year old preschool and we were not allowed to take the kids outside to play unless it was above freezing 32*. I always thought that was silly since I'm sure our northern neighbors just bundle up and go play in much colder weather. Here in the south, if the weatherman even mentions the possibility of a few snowflakes, people seem to lose their minds. Grocery store shelves will empty of bread and milk in minutes! I don't even know why people think that bread and milk are the things to buy if we were to get snow. They would be better off to get some dried meals and an alcohol stove.

  7. #7
    K0m4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    HG cf WinterPalace
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    They also smell a little, and if my wife finds out I've spent even more money on camping gear now, she willl use the whoopie slings to hang me...
    Hah, the biggest challenge for a new-become hammock camper: how to keep the house peace with all the gear that just NEEDS to be bought!

    How much are the rein deer pelts up north? Everytime I'm home in Sweden I eye them at the airport because they must be ultra-comfy out in the cold, but the cost seems a little prohibitive at 8-900 SEK. Is that how much they are up north as well, or is it a bit of "Stockholm premium" included in that?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Posts
    3,899
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    It's amazing how different the mindset is in various regions, even in the US. I used to teach 4 year old preschool and we were not allowed to take the kids outside to play unless it was above freezing 32*. I always thought that was silly since I'm sure our northern neighbors just bundle up and go play in much colder weather. Here in the south, if the weatherman even mentions the possibility of a few snowflakes, people seem to lose their minds. Grocery store shelves will empty of bread and milk in minutes! I don't even know why people think that bread and milk are the things to buy if we were to get snow. They would be better off to get some dried meals and an alcohol stove.
    If you don't have to carry them I think you will find a gas stove and canned goods tastier, easier, and cheaper. ;-)

    As far as I know the reason to buy bread and milk is because there is already a good stash of canned and frozen food on hand. ;-)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    Hah, the biggest challenge for a new-become hammock camper: how to keep the house peace with all the gear that just NEEDS to be bought!

    How much are the rein deer pelts up north? Everytime I'm home in Sweden I eye them at the airport because they must be ultra-comfy out in the cold, but the cost seems a little prohibitive at 8-900 SEK. Is that how much they are up north as well, or is it a bit of "Stockholm premium" included in that?
    Depends where you buy them. The ones I saw at Europris today was 4-500 NOK. But 6-800 NOK is not uncommon. What they pay for them in the Sami towns I don't know...

  10. #10
    Senior Member Rune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    Hah, the biggest challenge for a new-become hammock camper: how to keep the house peace with all the gear that just NEEDS to be bought!
    From back when I hade a craze for fishing, I learned that you just have to have so much stuff that she does not have any idea what you have. And if she notices you just tell her that "Oh, that thing? I've had that for ages, honey

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •