Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: WWM Double?

  1. #11
    jbrianb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Covington, TN
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Man Brian....That's hardcore. You're going to put your wife on the pad while you sleep with the UQ?
    You betcha! But I would carry her pad for her. Part of the way at least. Like from the car to the trail head. Probably. Or she could take a tent...
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

  2. #12
    New Member pacecar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggles
    Posts
    42
    I think for my purposes, I'm sold on the double. I will eventually upgrade to a UQ, but for now, I will rock the pad and love every second of it!


    I thoroughly appreciate all of the advice and insight offered by you guys!
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell everything you know.

  3. #13
    New Member pacecar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggles
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    No matter which you get, our goal is for you to like it. I'd rather you get a single you liked than a double you didn't... So here's my short analysis...

    A double costs $40 (and if you know about the process of making a double compared to a single, that's a bargain because they are more than twice as hard to make and they do take twice the material). A CCF pad costs $10. So, you're in for $50, period, for back warmth. One day, if you enjoy this hammocking thing, you will get an underquilt. When you do, you still can hang your double or you can get a single and the double with pad can be your loaner, for your wife, child, etc.

    So there's the question... You have to have something. If you've only got a few outings, you can make do with a single and a squirmy pad until you get the UQ in the fall. But if you plan to be out a lot this spring and during the cooler part of the early summer before you get said underquilt, you might reconsider. $50 is cheaper than any underquilt I know of and squirmy pads in single layer hammocks thoroughly suck eggs. A double will also add to the WWM's durability, but it comes with a weight penalty.

    So there you have it... if you plan to get an UQ soon, get the single and mosey over to another great cottage vendor for an underquilt when you're ready. If money's tight and the wife or significant other hates seeing charges on the bank statement for your gear, grab the double.


    For the price difference, should I get a Campus Lounger double? It's hard to beat the $28 (+$28 for DL).
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell everything you know.

  4. #14
    TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    At your weight, I would get the single. I'm 6' and about 215# and I've never had any trouble with my single. That's just me.

    I would get the widest one you can though. I've got the 64", but I'm not sure if that one is still available. I love my micro. It's replaced my Lite Owl as my go to hammock.
    I noticed you said you weighed 215 caveman...with the wwm having a recommended weight limit of 200 lbs, do you find it stretches a lot or that it isn't holding up as well as a more substantial hammock designed for more weight? I'm just wondering because I weigh more so I'm curious how it has worked out for you. I would love to be able to have a hammock that light but unless BIAS is being conservative with their weight tolerances the only option(that I know of) for an ultralight hammock that could hold me is the grand trunk nano 7(which I'm still curious as to how it uses the same weight fabric as the wwm yet can hold 100 more lbs).

  5. #15
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,076
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    I noticed you said you weighed 215 caveman...with the wwm having a recommended weight limit of 200 lbs, do you find it stretches a lot or that it isn't holding up as well as a more substantial hammock designed for more weight? I'm just wondering because I weigh more so I'm curious how it has worked out for you. I would love to be able to have a hammock that light but unless BIAS is being conservative with their weight tolerances the only option(that I know of) for an ultralight hammock that could hold me is the grand trunk nano 7(which I'm still curious as to how it uses the same weight fabric as the wwm yet can hold 100 more lbs).
    Where are you getting your information that the nano 7 is the same material (1.1 oz ripstop) as the WWM? I don't see anything on their website. I would bet the nano 7 is a heavier weight fabric and the low weight of the hammock (7.4 oz) comes from the skimpy dimensions (9' x 4') rather than the weight of the fabric.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Rolloff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Leveland
    Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB SS HG Clone
    Suspension
    Whoopies Straps
    Posts
    1,212
    Either way, you won't be disappointed. Extraordinary lay in a BIAS.
    This place you say your lookin' for
    It might have washed out with the rain
    Might not be there anymore
    Might not be the same

    Top that rise and face the pain

  7. #17
    TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Where are you getting your information that the nano 7 is the same material (1.1 oz ripstop) as the WWM? I don't see anything on their website. I would bet the nano 7 is a heavier weight fabric and the low weight of the hammock (7.4 oz) comes from the skimpy dimensions (9' x 4') rather than the weight of the fabric.
    It has been said on multiple occasions by the guys at BIAS that they use 1.0 ripstop(sometimes classfied as 1.1 according to Brian). I can't for the life of me find a link that states that the nano 7 is 1.1 but here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...no+bias&page=2 in post #13 it's mentioned by the OP that the wwm material is actually thicker than the nano 7 material. Even comparing bone stock weights(according to what others have posted) between a nano 7 hammock body and a wwm hammock is about an ounce heavier. Which, given that it is a couple feet longer and a little wider, it would make sense that the fabrics are either the same or very similar. Could be way off on that though of course.

  8. #18
    jbrianb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Covington, TN
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    It has been said on multiple occasions by the guys at BIAS that they use 1.0 ripstop(sometimes classfied as 1.1 according to Brian). I can't for the life of me find a link that states that the nano 7 is 1.1 but here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...no+bias&page=2 in post #13 it's mentioned by the OP that the wwm material is actually thicker than the nano 7 material. Even comparing bone stock weights(according to what others have posted) between a nano 7 hammock body and a wwm hammock is about an ounce heavier. Which, given that it is a couple feet longer and a little wider, it would make sense that the fabrics are either the same or very similar. Could be way off on that though of course.
    I don't have one, but based on what I've seen in pics and read, I'd bet you're on the mark. We based our assessments off the spec sheet. We could shave an ounce or more by going to their same specs, so my guess has to be that the fabrics are at least similar in weight. I don't imagine they're exact though.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

  9. #19
    TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    I don't have one, but based on what I've seen in pics and read, I'd bet you're on the mark. We based our assessments off the spec sheet. We could shave an ounce or more by going to their same specs, so my guess has to be that the fabrics are at least similar in weight. I don't imagine they're exact though.
    You would the person to ask about for sure Brian, assuming the fabrics are the same or very close, is there a reason you guys rate the wwm for 200 lbs vs the nano 7's 300 lbs?

  10. #20
    Caveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Springtown, Tx.
    Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Posts
    2,013

    WWM Double?

    I've spent somewhere around 100 nights in my micro. I've never noticed any stretch and never had to sleep on the ground. My guess is that they rate the fabric on the low end just to be safe. I'm willing to take the risk and it has paid off for me. I love my micro.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •