Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member dammfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Slayton, MN
    Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Posts
    470
    Images
    6

    Too many converts!

    I take a yearly trip the boundary waters canoe area each summer with some of my family and friends. Two years ago I was the only hanger. Last year was my 9 year old sons first year and he wanted to hang so I got him all set up. My brother brought along his ENO but spent the night in his tent. This year I think we are going to have 5 hangers in the group! Great problem to have but I am afraid of not finding camp sites with enough trees to accomodate all of us.

    This site has been a godsend of information, after hanging by accident the first year i found the site. I set off making a few Pluqs and tarp tie outs. A big thanks to all that have been so helpful and all of you that have sold me gear. I now get accused of being addicted to hammock forums and shopping for gear. (crazy wife).
    Dammfast

    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

    ― Mark Twain

  2. #2
    dragon360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Posts
    6,296
    Images
    1
    Its fun but certainly crazy. Makes me feel like when I started snowboarding. there was no one and then suddenly, the hills were filled with boarders!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    265
    I'll admit to being a "late to the party" convert. When, I read the "About us" entry on the JacksRBetter website I felt a bit spoiled that all I had to do was find Hammockforums to find solutions to my issues. Thanks to all the hammock pioneers that blazed the trail for me.

    My own family has gone from a tent and one hammock last summer to one tent (the wife is resistant to change)/3 hammocks this coming spring. We usually camp along the SHT- so far we've found just the right amount of trees for every one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Posts
    142
    Come to Norway. I have never seen a hammock other than the odd garden variety here. I was quite surprised to find a Hammocker from my home town on this board.

    Anyway, we have plenty of trees :-)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    I take a yearly trip the boundary waters canoe area each summer with some of my family and friends. Two years ago I was the only hanger. Last year was my 9 year old sons first year and he wanted to hang so I got him all set up. My brother brought along his ENO but spent the night in his tent. This year I think we are going to have 5 hangers in the group! Great problem to have but I am afraid of not finding camp sites with enough trees to accomodate all of us.

    This site has been a godsend of information, after hanging by accident the first year i found the site. I set off making a few Pluqs and tarp tie outs. A big thanks to all that have been so helpful and all of you that have sold me gear. I now get accused of being addicted to hammock forums and shopping for gear. (crazy wife).

    I worry about for a few reasons:
    I too, enjoy trips to BWCA and Quetico and my usual trip is 10 days were we only take two separate two day breaks where we don't move every day. One planned and one in reserve for weather.
    The problem with hammocks I see is this.
    I have noticed the past three years when looking for a place to hang, I'm seeing evidence of slashed limbs and cut brush when spying the perfect trees. This means that others have seen the same potential in the trees in question that draw the hammockers eye and many people have been hacking away at the sites, almost creating a whole new pad and cutting what's underneath and around for tarps and lines.

    Now, a lot of those sites are overused and the ground beat so bad that they are erosion problems. It's why they don't want you cutting out any more vegetation. It's in the rules. You can not alter or expand the sites, utilizing the tent pads that are there. Most of the time, you can find trees on the outskirts of the pads where the ground is already worn in a general "common camp area"to hang. But every once in a while I come across one where I have to take it off the area of heavier traffic.

    I have seen a large amount of sites hacked on to accommodate hammocks. It's only a matter of time until someone in a green uniform figures out why the use of what is provided at the sites is spreading and rules are being broken. At that point, when they figure it's because of hammocks, will they say "no more"? Will they figure it's no big deal? I don't know, but it's something to think about when we hang.

  6. #6
    Senior Member lymphocytosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MN
    Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I have noticed the past three years when looking for a place to hang, I'm seeing evidence of slashed limbs and cut brush when spying the perfect trees.
    I have also noticed this the past few times I have gone. I have also noticed more and more damage to the trunks of trees themselves. It seems not everyone is practicing good habits in hanging their hammocks or tarps.

    As much as I love hanging, I often find myself on the ground in the BWCA or Quetico. Sometimes the sites are just flat areas of rock with a bit of grass where you can get your canoe out of the water. When the number of hangers is becoming damaging to a resource, take one for the team. Sleep on the ground.
    Just call me "Blood Disease"

    Pay it Forward Rules and Spreadsheet

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by lymphocytosis View Post
    I have also noticed this the past few times I have gone. I have also noticed more and more damage to the trunks of trees themselves. It seems not everyone is practicing good habits in hanging their hammocks or tarps.

    As much as I love hanging, I often find myself on the ground in the BWCA or Quetico. Sometimes the sites are just flat areas of rock with a bit of grass where you can get your canoe out of the water. When the number of hangers is becoming damaging to a resource, take one for the team. Sleep on the ground.
    I'm really expecting to take some heat over the comments I made.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this trend. As hammocking grows, so will the ability to see what impact it's making on the sites, many of which have seen too much overuse already. I would hate to paddle all day, just to move on for another hour because of a site closure. I myself and my buddy have paddled further just to find a suitable site to hang on rather than alter a site.

    like I said.....at some point, someone in a green uniform is going to figure it out and bring it to the attention of park management. We may very well see some changes.

  8. #8
    fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Hammock
    Bias Weenie
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Posts
    2,601
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I'm really expecting to take some heat over the comments I made.
    Don't, it's a legitimate concern. As to too many converts, there's no such thing.

  9. #9
    Doctari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Posts
    2,992
    Images
    30
    In an odd way, this post is funny.
    I remember way back when HF started, most (ALL?) of us thought "We will NEVER be mainstream! EVER!" Now there is a tread titled "Too many converts!"

    I know, we ain't there yet, but wow, what a change in such a short time! I agree that we need to be extra careful, especially now that there are "So many of us" & we are becoming more & more noticeable / noticed! I can say that I haven't ever not been able to find a site when I needed one.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

  10. #10
    Senior Member dammfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Slayton, MN
    Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Posts
    470
    Images
    6
    I know that even last year we passed on a couple of sites that were not hammock friendly. I completely agree with your statements about being good stewards and taking care of campsites. I have yet to go to the BWCA and not haul out someone elses trash. Several years ago on CHerokee lake my brother and I spent an entire day cleaning the island site. When the "man in the green uniform" showed up he was coming to see how bad it was left as there was large group of kids there. My father says that it has gotten better since he started going in the 60's. I only takes a few to ruin it for everyone else. I can assure you that I take leave no trace very seriously.

    I am a swimmer/snorkeler I have found some neat old stuff in the water along the shores. In long island lake there is an aluminum canoe on the bottom between an island and the main shore in about 25-30 feet of water. When I went down to explore is it had a couple of older 1980 vintage rods tied to the inside. Mostly I find old cans and jars and lures lots and lots of lures.
    Dammfast

    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

    ― Mark Twain

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •