Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    There were so many advertisements on the youtube page that I couldn't watch your video. All I heard were commercials as your video was playing until it would freeze the video.

EDIT: It was all me. Some ad program got onto my computer, but only flooded youtube. Wierd.
    Last edited by fallkniven; 02-23-2013 at 20:07.

Images

Raptor Sleep-Shelter Explained...

Survivalen, That just looks incredible! Looks like you will end up with many of the benefits of a pod system. Looking forward to learning more about this system.

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    I was looking at your store page and I am confused. You are advertising a raptor series, but I don't see it anywhere for purchase.
    OK, a Raptor Series Sleep-Shelter is formed by combining a Falcon Hammock with fabric panels or modules that are sold on the website. You can configure it your way. In this example, I offer one useful configuration at a special Hammock Forums Only Exclusive. Please view here. Other Raptor configurations are being offered on Kickstarter Hope that helps...
    Thanks,
    Len
    VersaShelter, inc. -- LIMITED TIME OFFER!> Raptor Sleep-Shelter.
    http://www.versashelter.com * Visit us on Facebook * Follow us on Twitter * Email Us

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    There were so many advertisements on the youtube page that I couldn't watch your video. All I heard were commercials as your video was playing until it would freeze the video.

EDIT: It was all me. Some ad program got onto my computer, but only flooded youtube. Wierd.
    Sorry to hear that, Thanks for trying...Just a thought, I use a great little free program called "C CLEANER" and got it HERE. It made my computer run like new! Maybe it will work for you too.
    Happy Hanging,
    Len
    http://www.versashelter.com * Visit us on Facebook * Follow us on Twitter * Email Us

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Survivalen, That just looks incredible! Looks like you will end up with many of the benefits of a pod system. Looking forward to learning more about this system.
    Thank You
    Len

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    One question I have, is how does the top quilt work if you are laying on the diagonal? I would think with it being zipped to the hammock edges, it wouldn't lay directly on top of you.

That is a whole lot of omnitape/velcro in all of those add on components. I have omni tape on one end of my BMBH for my bug net, but I find that it wears out over time and loses its ability to stick together as securely.

Omni tape also also adds weight. I realize that you said one zip stick rail weight 75 grams, but for every other one you add that is 75 more grams and that adds up quick.

Another thing I noticed is that the ridgeline you get when sticking 2 fabric panels together is not a structural one. It is just the omnitape holding things together. It also doesn't seem that it can be adjusted based on user preference.

Also what suspension comes with the hammock. All that was shown in the video was the continuous loop on each end and that you had it clipped to a carabiner of some sort.

It's an interesting concept and I hope it works well for you.

Cheers

Brian
    Hi and thanks for the great questions...The top quilt works fine on the diagonal, I will have a video out on that shortly. I use genuine Velcro brand Omin-Tape with the Raptor, you are right about cheaper brands. In actual daily testing for over two years, it still works effectively. Additionally, once configured, you would use the zipper most of the time. You only need one Zip-Stick Rail and not more than two total, one for each side of the shelter. When the end loops of at least one top fabric panel are connected to the hammock support continuous loops, a structural ridgeline is formed. The top fabric panels are 100 inches long standard size. They can be ordered longer or shorter if desired. I have found that in testing the Raptor, the vast majority of people prefer a 100 inch ridgeline in combination with a 10 foot long hammock to be comfortable. Another interesting feature of the Falcon Hammock is the ability to change the lay using the continuous loops adjustment without affecting the total length of the hammock. As far as suspension are concerned, I offer the Bola-Tree Straps and amsteel 7/64 support lines used with Marlinespike hitch. Hope that helps.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at what I have to offer and make comments, your input is sincerely appreciated.
    Len Gioglio

Hammock
    Falcon Hammock™
    Tarp
    Hawk Tarp™
    Insulation
    Condor Quilts™
    Suspension
    BTS & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I've been toying with a modular attachment system for about a year now, and I've been very impressed by how well it works for some things and how difficult it is to engineer others for it.

Mine's based on Velcro rather than a zipper attachment system; but I can see the attraction of using the zippers with OmniTape, due to how easily OmniTape lets go. Seems a bit fiddly, but I suppose most of that is going to be in the set up at home.

I'm very impressed by the use of the OmniTape as a ridgeline; it makes a lot of sense for that type of system and surely is strong enough to act as a non-structural one (not sure about an SRL, but I'm willing to play with it and see, for sure...). Did you find OmniTape with a polyester (or other non-stretch) backing, or is it the standard nylon backing (which will stretch and change the lie of the hammock during the night if you're relying on it as an SRL)?

The top quilts and underquilts are the two things that I'd have questions about, mostly.

The top quilt seems as if it would have quite a bit of space between it and your body below the head-end attachment point--creating a large(r) air space that your body needs to warm before the trapped air of the insulation. Which, if my understanding of the physics is correct, means that the top quilt will feel colder than a comparably filled quilt that lays directly on top of an user. Have you found that to be true, or am I simply spitting in the wind here?

The underquilt seems as if it's a standard suspension, just with OmniTape along the edges to seal it up better. Was engineering the size specifications for it versus the hammock difficult (this is where I've run into the largest issues with my own modular system), or does the standard suspension with shock cord obviate that issue? If so, I may have to rethink my DIY system...I'm trying to avoid draft issues and make my underquilt "idiot proof" (with me as the designated idiot), and shock cord just doesn't seem to be the answer there.

Thanks for taking the time to demo your product and detail all of its features! I certainly appreciate it, and I hope that your business grows!
    Hi, On your first point "how well it works for some things and how difficult it is to engineer others for it" I agree totally...it was a conundrum until I created the Zip-Stick Rail. After that, things began to fall into place. As for the Omi-Tape ridgeline being used as an SRL... Hundreds of variations and combinations were tried before I arrived at the conclusion. The simplest answer was the correct one. "Occam's razor" Folding the velcro in half lengthwise and sewing the fabric within that fold. Additionally, I use Velcro Brand Omni-Tape, generic brands stretch excessively and wear out in a few months of continuous use. Now on to the quilts...The underquilt is the same width as the hammock. Omni-Tape on the long sides extends beyond the quilt edge about 1-1/2", this keeps the quilt from detaching itself from the hammock accidentally. The short sides of the quilt need a sewn channel at least 2" to allow for easy gathering along the shock cord within otherwise, you will have air gaps. This shock cord has it's own cord lock. Additionally, there is a loop of shock cord affixed to the underquilt at midpoint on each side forming a triangle that connects to the hammock suspension via a mitten clip. The top quilt does touch the body and this air space can be regulated by adjusting the shock cords running through the two long sides of the Falcon Hammock. The top quilt also has plenty of free range area and an adjustable draft collar that can be tucked around the shoulders. The top quilt is 1' shorter in width than the hammock at the head end down to the hip area then, it tapers to a point beyond the foot area. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the questions, comments and input.
    Len Gioglio

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Now there was a lot of novel ideas on your hammock design there. Totally enjoyed watching what was coming next on your video.
    I thought the continual loop options on the ends were interesting. Do the two options really affect the way the hammock lays? Curious on that.
    Your TQ ideas are intriguing.......my concern would be getting a good fit around the feet with the taper design. but I feel sure you thought this out.
    Looking forward to some reviews from users on your whole system.
    I appreciate all your thoughts and work on bringing something a bit different to the world of hammock camping.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Survivalen View Post
    Hi, On your first point "how well it works for some things and how difficult it is to engineer others for it" I agree totally...it was a conundrum until I created the Zip-Stick Rail. After that, things began to fall into place.
    Glad it works for you! I'll be interested to see one in person, once it hits the market.

As for the Omi-Tape ridgeline being used as an SRL... Hundreds of variations and combinations were tried before I arrived at the conclusion. The simplest answer was the correct one. "Occam's razor" Folding the velcro in half lengthwise and sewing the fabric within that fold. Additionally, I use Velcro Brand Omni-Tape, generic brands stretch excessively and wear out in a few months of continuous use.
    Interesting. I wasn't aware that the Velcro brand had a non-stretch backing; I assumed (incorrectly, it seems) that it was a nylon backing...which is great for a "guess your hang angle" ridgeline but not so great for an SRL.

Now on to the quilts...The underquilt is the same width as the hammock. Omni-Tape on the long sides extends beyond the quilt edge about 1-1/2", this keeps the quilt from detaching itself from the hammock accidentally. The short sides of the quilt need a sewn channel at least 2" to allow for easy gathering along the shock cord within otherwise, you will have air gaps. This shock cord has it's own cord lock. Additionally, there is a loop of shock cord affixed to the underquilt at midpoint on each side forming a triangle that connects to the hammock suspension via a mitten clip.
    Huh. My problem has been tapering the quilts towards the ends; there's some interesting geometry going on there as they narrow down towards the ends, especially in the full-length first layer. I finally resorted to having my assistant (Mrs. FLRider...and she'll kill me if she hears me refer to her as an "assistant"......I guess she's more of a backer or boss? ) measure the hammock at my head, shoulders, butt, and knees as I lied in it. Need to go back and do it again with the next layer of my quilts, actually...we'll see how that works out.

The top quilt does touch the body and this air space can be regulated by adjusting the shock cords running through the two long sides of the Falcon Hammock. The top quilt also has plenty of free range area and an adjustable draft collar that can be tucked around the shoulders. The top quilt is 1' shorter in width than the hammock at the head end down to the hip area then, it tapers to a point beyond the foot area. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the questions, comments and input.
    Len Gioglio
    Okay. I can kinda see how that might work. If you let the sides of the hammock become more "floppy" (reduced tension), then the quilt lays on you more. But if you tighten the tension and reduce the "floppiness", then the quilt rises up and is more easily vented without adjustment to the Zip-Stick. Hrm...(*sound of hamster wheels turning*)

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! It seems like you have a very interesting system there, and it will be one of the more original offerings on the market. I wish you the best in your endeavors!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Very interesting. Seems like it would be a bit heavier than some other hammocks - though the trade offs might be worth it. I like the idea if a ridge organizer that will stay right where I put it, even if its not easily adjustable while laying in there. The end channel looks like it would be compatible with spreader bar options, too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast