Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Looks good, but in your write up you have a few places that had me a little confused until I looked at the pic closer. You put a piece of PVC in the eye bolt, then pressed a NUT, not a bolt into it. And again where you put the 3/8" NUTS (not bolts) and washers inside the pipe leg and floating on the bolt to keep it from crushing the leg.....RR
    Hey, good catch, I was so excited to have it working that I was just slinging words out.. It's all together in my mind, it's the transfer of info that is the hardest part... I'll fix it thanks.

Following up on RR question. Why did you add a nut to the center of the eyebolt? Was it to cut down on the play? I will say from my experience that there hasn't been any issue with stability on mine. I will add that I saw on a web site that specialized in hardware you can find eyeboltswith a greater option of length, diameter of the "eye" and thickness over what you can get at HomeDepot. Net time I'm going that route. Also locking acorn(?) nuts. I don't like my exposed threads sticking out.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Following up on RR question. Why did you add a nut to the center of the eyebolt? Was it to cut down on the play? I will say from my experience that there hasn't been any issue with stability on mine. I will add that I saw on a web site that specialized in hardware you can find eyeboltswith a greater option of length, diameter of the "eye" and thickness over what you can get at HomeDepot. Net time I'm going that route. Also locking acorn(?) nuts. I don't like my exposed threads sticking out.
    I saw that you used 1/4" but they were out of the 1/4 lock nuts at HD, so I settled for all 5/16, but I like the result. I didn't like the amount of play that the 5/16 gave, it's hole is obviously huge, so adapt and overcome.

I was thinking of taking the dremel out and cutting off the excess and grinding it smooth, but I wanted to make sure it works, and it works great.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I thought I'd share what I made today, some shelf limiters. One for each side.

Last edited by Agfadoc; 02-25-2013 at 11:39.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    They will loosen with the cord locks and raise to just above the lip and stay with the linkage base when in the bag.

Deployed goes below the lip to hold the bars from moving.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Actually the cord locks keep the 550 paracord under the grainger pin when the shelf limiter is above the first pole lip.

I put a 10 lb weight on it to check it out. I think I'll just keep the limiters where they are, they will just stay with the complete linkage base, and the grainger pins keep them from creeping up.

Last edited by Agfadoc; 02-25-2013 at 11:38.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Last update, it's finished.

I did put a grommet in the center of the shelf limiter to drain any water, and I cut off the excess bolt so the nylon lock nut is smooth.

All packed up and into the trunk.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Agfadoc,

I am happily following your lead.
    Yesterday, bought 28 poles from the ebay seller you linked ( couple extra ).

Expecting to follow your instructions and make three tripods for two hammocks.
    Does there appear to be any problem with two hammocks and one person taller and heavier ?
    Any thoughts anyone ?

G
    trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Wow.. I am not sure.

I know the Turtlelady and Turtle dog thread is very large, but there is some explanation on the forces being applied to the tripods.

I am assuming that you are going to try the following.. A----A----A

The center tripod would be taking half of your load and half of the other persons load, while the other two would be taking half of each of the loads.

I am no expert but this is what I think would be happening...say you were 225 and the other person was 125.

Tripod 1 would have 1/2 of the 225 = 112.5
    Tripod 2 would have the other half and half of the 125 = 112.5 + 62.5 = 175 lbs
    Tripod 3 would have the other half of 125 = 62.5

I have seen others that are closer to 300lbs in one of these and each of their tripods would be holding 150 easily.

I strapped my tricep rope to one of the stands and hung on it with all my weight, 250lbs on a good day and it didn't complain at all. But as I said, I am no expert...

I would think as long as the other ridgeline poles had their own whoopie continuous rope on the middle tripod, (Around one of the other poles and not sharing a pole) and you ensured that your hammock lashing was right at each whoopie connection, there wouldn't be a problem. It will be certainly interesting to see.

You could angle it too to be at a 30 degree angle as long as the center tripod is stable, I can say on carpet, this thing is rock solid, but I wanted the limiters anyway as a shelf, so they will just stay with the setup.

I would try it, the aluminum poles are very sturdy, they didn't budge along the ridgline for me, but I lashed right at the whoopie loop.
    Last edited by Agfadoc; 02-25-2013 at 20:15.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    In case anyone wanted to know, I used 54" of 7/64 amsteel with an 8 inch bury to make my continuous loop and locked them, which gave me (If I remember right ) 16 or 17" of loop after shrinkage, and I wrapped the ridgeline pole and larks headed one of the tubes as seen in the pictures.

With the limiters in place I have 5' between each of the legs (Thanks gmcttr for the reference)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast