Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Disco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    STL, MO
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Zeppelin; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    591
    Nice review! Can't wait to check it out this weekend!
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

  2. #22
    PapaSmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fredericksburg, Ohio
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Varies each trip
    Posts
    1,364
    Normally I set the quilt hooks at 16" from the ends of the hammock.
    This leaves approx 88" between the hooks on the 10ft model and approx 100" between on the 11ft model. Of course, this is straight line distance along the side and not a diagonal measurement.

    The placement of the hooks has been tested with 52" and 78" long underquilts.
    With an extra long 86" or 83" underquilt, I can see it getting a little tight if used on the 10ft model.

    I'm certainly cool with moving the hook locations to accommodate a specific user or quilt size or even changing the "standard" locations to cover most everything out there.

    I'm a little confused about the overall best "default" location, but will watch these comments carefully.

  3. #23
    Great review, and nice hammock. That's a beautiful color. Thanks
    ...To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return...

  4. #24
    Gideon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SE Missouri
    Hammock
    Darien UL w/Dutch hooks, clips, etc
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    ZPack 40 bag/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Gear
    Posts
    534
    Well this weekend I'll be testing this hammock and I'm using a 3/4 phoenix 20 degree underquilt. I'm toying with the idea of also adding my 40 degree phoenix at the same time since it's supposed to be down to 16 and I'm a cold sleeper.

    I was also a bit leery of the fabric, it's very thin; so much so you can see the ground through it. I think it'll be fine but I do think you have to be extra careful with something like this so you don't poke or tear it. I suspect that once it does have a tear that it would be all over

    I think the key is with any ultralight gear is to treat it with care.

    Gideon

  5. #25
    Senior Member affreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Normally I set the quilt hooks at 16" from the ends of the hammock.
    This leaves approx 88" between the hooks on the 10ft model and approx 100" between on the 11ft model. Of course, this is straight line distance along the side and not a diagonal measurement.

    The placement of the hooks has been tested with 52" and 78" long underquilts.
    With an extra long 86" or 83" underquilt, I can see it getting a little tight if used on the 10ft model.

    I'm certainly cool with moving the hook locations to accommodate a specific user or quilt size or even changing the "standard" locations to cover most everything out there.

    I'm a little confused about the overall best "default" location, but will watch these comments carefully.
    For reference, the quilt I used and referred to in my post is the JRB Hudson River Long, which is 86". If the quilt hooks are 100" apart on the 11' hammock, it doesn't make sense to me that I have this issue with the fit. I'll have to do some measuring when I get a chance.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

    Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    allen@allenf.com
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

  6. #26
    hammock_monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Posts
    313
    Images
    15

    Re: New Darien UL in Coyote; 1st Test Hang

    My quilt is a DIY 84" in length. And to be clear, I'd move the hooks if I was sewing just for my own quilt, but I am not criticizing the hammock, which is beautiful. I am taking it out for a couple nights this weekend. Maybe I'll do a review after.

  7. #27
    PapaSmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fredericksburg, Ohio
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Varies each trip
    Posts
    1,364
    I'd definitely be interested in seeing a photo or 2 of how these longer underquilts fit.
    I can always alter the location for those who need some extra room.

  8. #28
    Senior Member affreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I'd definitely be interested in seeing a photo or 2 of how these longer underquilts fit.
    I can always alter the location for those who need some extra room.
    Here's my JRB Hudson River Long, at 86", on my 11' Darien UL:



    And here's a close-up of one of the quilt hooks. You can see the UQ suspension elastic is pulling on the quilt hook since the quilt hook is in-board of the end of the quilt, which now that I think about it might put undue stress on the hammock.

    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

    Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    allen@allenf.com
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

  9. #29
    Senior Member affreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    Here's my JRB Hudson River Long, at 86", on my 11' Darien UL:



    And here's a close-up of one of the quilt hooks. You can see the UQ suspension elastic is pulling on the quilt hook since the quilt hook is in-board of the end of the quilt, which now that I think about it might put undue stress on the hammock.

    Replying to my own post, how gauche!

    Thinking a bit more, I wonder if this issue with the quilt hook placement is only because the hammock is unloaded. Once I'm in the hammock and the UQ is forced into a curve around my body it's going to fit differently.

    I'll likely never know as I do almost all of my backpacking solo, and I don't know how I can look while lying in the hammock.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

    Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    allen@allenf.com
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

  10. #30
    Senior Member affreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    211
    And while I'm posting photos, this might give you an idea of how much room I, at 6'3", have in my 11' Darien UL:

    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

    Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    allen@allenf.com
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •