Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Strap Stretch?

I just bought a couple of ENO's DN, one for my daughter, she keep asking to take one of my hammocks to festivals etc... and one for the backyard, porch and campground use.

When I ordered I just went ahead and order the ENO strap and did not realize they were nylon until later. So my question is has any one has a problem with stretch with the ENO straps? If so I'll return them get poly webbing and make some straps for them.

Ok had a little time did a search and notice this could be an issue, why do they sell these things. Guess I'll have to make some...
    Last edited by ciphoto; 05-31-2013 at 04:42.
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    The ENO Slap Straps are only good for using hammock as a loung in yard. If you try to sleep in your hammock using the Slap Straps you will end up on the ground by morning, I have had this happen. I am replacing then with Whoopie slings and tree huggers. www.whoopieslings.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Very common issue. Many call them crap straps.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Are they still using Nylon? I've been reading complaints about their "Slap Straps" for a couple of years now and wonder why they still offer them in Nylon. Nylon is ok in applications where a fall or some sort of shock to the system is expected, or even deliberate. Most climbers use tubular nylon webbing and rope for this reason. (except for Rappelling, Rappelling is always done with low stretch polyester rope)
    However, Polyester is low stretch, 5 times more abrasive resistant then nylon, and waterproof. Nylon isn't waterproof and rots from the inside out.
    Polyester is also naturally UV resistant.
    Maybe there's a reason they use Nylon for hammock hanging but I would be interested to find out why.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    I have the Atlas Straps, they're poly. 300 pounds, 6'1, no major stretch, I think I lost 4 inches last night overall, but brand new straps on a brand new hammock, some of that definitely could be the newness.

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    There are two kinds of straps the Slap straps and the Atlas straps. The Slap straps ate made from nylon, and can stretch, most people say they do but some people have no problems and others claim that once you stretch them out they won't stretch again. I have no idea I never used them. I have a friend who has them and she hasn't had issues with them yet, but she also is not very heavy and has only slept in her hammock one night. The Atlas straps won't stretch they are polyester. Amazon still sells both. My local sporting goods store started carrying ENOs this year and they only sell the Atlas straps, guess they don't even want to bother with people returning stretched out straps.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

If I may...

Without getting chastised and speaking from experience... My first "straps" were the China-Mart nylon ratchet straps, which being (and still am) a newbie and on a STRICT budget, they worked OK until I ordered some poly straps..........Amazing what happens when you wake up in the morning and your rear end is still off the ground!! Scrimp, save, beg, plead, give dirty looks, etc. until you get some non-stretchy (nylon) straps and the hammock will feel like sleeping in a cloud until you decide to get out.......

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use poly webbing on my set ups, and just really didn't pay attention that these straps were nylon when I ordered them. I figured ENO was a hammock company and would know better...

I'll return them and make some straps for them. She hasn't spent the night in a hammock, but you don't want folks first experience to be a bad one.

thanks for the replies...

peace
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    My slap straps streched and put me on the ground only one hight when i had to set up on a really long hand with a bad angle. the next night they were fine, however, i have since switched to using some of my retired nylon top rope webing(9+yrs old and still perfect). I finally pulled the trigger on some dutch gear so i am waiting on my tree straps. in short, yes slap straps will strech but it depends on the force/once they stretch they stop, but I suggest people buy $20 worth of climbing webing and teach themselves the overhand loop, as its way more adjustable.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL - 144" TadPole
    Insulation
    WL -3/4UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbiner
    Whoopie Slings mod for an ENO, problem solved and more adjustable. Can't beat em

South Carolina Mike

Getting Begun is Only Half Done

http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthCarolinaMike

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast