Tarp
    Rockin' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20UQ, EE 20TQ
    Suspension
    Rings/Straps
    Images

Cold weather testing w/snow....in MS

So I decided I was gonna get a chance to do a little cold weather testing (well cold for central MS) and I step out in the backyard and what is falling on my head? A widow maker? NO Bird poop? Nay, thankfully. SNOW!! WT???.

Tenny Tiney pellets of snow (more likely sleet). The wife and kids were shocked. It's only 38* so nothing sticking. I know this has nothing on my new hammock friends to the north but you go with what ya have.

MS snow in March.jpg
    See my store @ http://msdaddydaddy.wordpress.com/

No wound? No scar?
    Yet, as the Master shall the servant be,
    And piercd are the feet that follow Me.
    But thine are whole; can he have followed far
    Who hast no wound or scar?

Excerpt from a poem by Amy Carmichael
    Missionary to orphans in India.
    She suffered much -- and bore much eternal fruit.

There are Crock Pots and there are Microwaves. The world does microwaves; God does crock pots.

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, DIY Digi Camo
    Tarp
    Rockin' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20UQ, EE 20TQ
    Suspension
    Rings/Straps
    Images
    Got to do a legit test of the minimal gear I have. 30* bag, DIY pad. It was a very warm and snug nap. I'm gaining confidence in the gear and the temps. Should be good down to at least the low 30s. Next project is a revision of the DIY pad.

Wife still thinks I'm lying about being so warm on a cold day in the hammock. Final temp...34*

No wound? No scar?

There are Crock Pots and there are Microwaves. The world does microwaves; God does crock pots.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    Got to do a legit test of the minimal gear I have. 30* bag, DIY pad. It was a very warm and snug nap. I'm gaining confidence in the gear and the temps. Should be good down to at least the low 30s. Next project is a revision of the DIY pad.

Wife still thinks I'm lying about being so warm on a cold day in the hammock. Final temp...34*
    Way to go, DaddyD! We MS boys have to deal with occasional cold and snow also, and we are not very acclimated like our northern bros! And anyway, it can still be a big challenge if you are using less equipment. So that is a good first try! Way better than my first!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter/Tadpole
    Insulation
    IXUQ/Clima/UQ.com
    Suspension
    Straps / TD Stand
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post

Hey Daddy - Which DIY quilt type were you using?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Snow

Sounds like you had fun. We had flurries here in North Alabama all day yesterday. I thought (I knew if I ever got into the hammock I would probably be there until my nap was over). I like to see the snow no matter how slight it may be. Had to go for a hike around the neighborhood with the dog just to enjoy the flurries.

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

Re: Cold weather testing w/snow....in MS

I'm in MS too and I was happy to see a little snow... very little.

We've had a few good cold nights this winter. I a few weeks ago I had a troublesome night in the 20's, good experience tho.

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, DIY Digi Camo
    Tarp
    Rockin' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20UQ, EE 20TQ
    Suspension
    Rings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbamos View Post
    Hey Daddy - Which DIY quilt type were you using?
    Actually not a quilt but a cobbled together pad (actually pads). 1/4 inch closed cell pad with 1" egg crate attached. I disected two pads and put them together for a wider pad to see about size I ultimately wanted.

Next version is 1/2" closed cell in a DIY SPE 30"x48" with 3" wings. All this from a $25 Polyethylene plank purchased online. Should be ordering the 1.1 ripstop nylon this week and sewing (with my sainted mother) this coming weekend (maybe). This plus bags should be good to go into the low 30's. I'll be able to make some pillows from the scraps of the fabric as well (Bonus!).

Working on our first overnight hang for later this month or early next month with the kids. Can hardly wait.

No wound? No scar?