Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 406
  1. #111
    RovinIIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Western PA
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    $16 Brown WallyMt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    92
    Now after seeing it, I am half tempted myself to give it a go.
    "So long and thanks for all the fish."~The Dolphins

  2. #112

    Re: Walmart Ozark Trails Down Sleeping Bag

    Same here. I think it will make a good lightweight option for those cooler springtime nights.

  3. #113
    michigandave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Clarkston, MI
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner & ENO
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven11
    Insulation
    Jrbg NewRvr & RevX
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    After lurking on this topic, I had to get one. Originally I planned on a proper TQ, but after reading all the posts, this seemed like a great option to go with. Found 3 at my local Walmart, opened each and picked the best one. I see some obvious weight savings and am going to give it a try this weekend "as is" and see how it performs.

    Here's my thoughts on some modifications:
    1. Stock compression bag goes. It's not that effective and the buckles are bulky. I'll use a Outdoor products dry bag with roll top (10.75 by 22) and pack the bag and my KAQ New River together. Should fit on its side in the bottom of my pack.
    2. This needs sewing skills: remove zipper, cut off hood section, cut off 1/2 the back panel and reattach it on the top side. Install nice edging all around with maybe some attachment or loops for hanging. This leaves the thickest insulation on top with equal lesser stuffed sections on the side.

    This is just my initial thoughts....have to do some noodling. I'm pretty happy with my purchase and at $79 it's a deal.

    Revised after getting it home: both quilts don't fit in the OP bag, but fit perfect in medium Kelly compression bag (and fitting better in pack) . Found a loop on bottom of bag plus Velcro at top will be fine for hanging and airing it out. No cutting and reconfiguring needed. Thought there was less down in certain areas, but it looks equal around. Bag does seem thin laying in it, but according to members posts, it does a good job insulating. So, I'll give it a try. This may be the solution I was looking for.
    Update after field test 5-10-13 Combined with my KAQ New River UQ and packed in a compression bag, I ended up with a 3lb 11 oz package. Not bad and combined with everything else for an overnight (no food or water), my base weight was 22 lbs. Went out on a trip Friday and encountered the following conditions 50's-60's during the day, but after we got to camp, the weather started changing. Wind picked up and shifted, with gusts of 10-25 miles an hour, temp hit a low of 41, with a "feels like" temp of 31. Humidity was 100 percent, plus we were camped next to a lake and could see the mist coming over it. Since the wind shifted, I made some tarp adjustments and still kept getting the brunt of it. Even with wools socks, columbia pants, t-shirt, columbia fleece, down puffy, ski hat & gloves, I never really felt warm and had a pretty restless sleep. I know the wind & humidity was a big part of it, plus I was at the lower end of the rating for this bag. A hammock underquilt protector or a sock would have made all the difference. I survived, but it sure made for a long night! IMO, the verdict is still out on this one. It would make a great topquilt, but I think I'll return this one, and do some searching for another one at a different store.

  4. #114
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Bangladesh
    Yeah, the 1127 bodies recovered from the collapsed Rana Plaza building is funny, huh?

    ------------------------

    I can see the allure of the sleeping bag, being readily available and it's low cost.

    What about the cons? Having to open up the bags in the store to find the one with the best amount of fill? That doesn't sound like consistent quality to me. Sounds kind of embarrassing, too. And the talk about removing parts, sewing, adding more down, etc. And it's Walmart. It's also Bangladesh.

    Why not support a cottage vendor, get something that's made right and made in the USA?
    The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail.
    - Gustaf Lindborg

    The suspense is thrilling me!

  5. #115
    darkbyrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pisgah Nat'l Forest, NC
    Hammock
    ENO DN/DIY1.1/TC
    Tarp
    Edge/Vertex
    Insulation
    OT down/DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by zim View Post
    Why not support a cottage vendor, get something that's made right and made in the USA?
    $

    Some of us have less than others. We learn to make-do.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

    -John Muir

  6. #116
    Likeapuma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tolland, CT
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Posts
    205
    Images
    1
    I've drooled over this entire thread.. Looking for an inexpensive SB to use as a TQ... Guess I can use my Cabela's gift cards for something else!

  7. #117
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mile high
    Hammock
    WBBB and HH Explorer
    Tarp
    Hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    16
    Really considering this! The only summer bag I have is an old syenthic rectangle bag. I'm thinking something like this will be perfect to save some weight and spend my cash on a new hammock and UQ. I'm a cold sleeper so I think this will be great for the hot CO summer nights.

    Wow this forum rocks! Thanx fellas

  8. #118
    Senior Member Rolloff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Leveland
    Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB SS HG Clone
    Suspension
    Whoopies Straps
    Posts
    1,203

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by zim View Post
    Yeah, the 1127 bodies recovered from the collapsed Rana Plaza building is funny, huh?

    ------------------------

    I can see the allure of the sleeping bag, being readily available and it's low cost.

    What about the cons? Having to open up the bags in the store to find the one with the best amount of fill? That doesn't sound like consistent quality to me. Sounds kind of embarrassing, too. And the talk about removing parts, sewing, adding more down, etc. And it's Walmart. It's also Bangladesh.

    Why not support a cottage vendor, get something that's made right and made in the USA?
    We are not supposed to get political on here, but yeah I find it funny......and a little sad, that such fine members of life's society, spend 4 pages considering, at any cost, slave labor products, when quality cottage goods are readily available.

    Consider the cost of replacing cheap goods or services in just a short period of time, and having to do the job over properly, on top of the original costs, and you are very close to an excellent cottage product, that may very well last one a lifetime, depending upon actual use.

    There are also DIY alternatives as well as Underquilts.com. Those two alone bring the cost of quality insulations, into just about anyone's price range.
    This place you say your lookin' for
    It might have washed out with the rain
    Might not be there anymore
    Might not be the same

    Top that rise and face the pain

  9. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    182

    Re: Walmart Ozark Trails Down Sleeping Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    We are not supposed to get political on here, but yeah I find it funny......and a little sad, that such fine members of life's society, spend 4 pages considering, at any cost, slave labor products, when quality cottage goods are readily available.

    Consider the cost of replacing cheap goods or services in just a short period of time, and having to do the job over properly, on top of the original costs, and you are very close to an excellent cottage product, that may very well last one a lifetime, depending upon actual use.

    There are also DIY alternatives as well as Underquilts.com. Those two alone bring the cost of quality insulations, into just about anyone's price range.
    I pay $70 you pay the rest?
    If the money is not important please throw yours around instead of mine, thank you.

  10. #120
    Member jacob8806's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern KY
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird single 1.7
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    APEX Jarbridge
    Suspension
    straps n' WHOOPIES
    Posts
    73
    I am thinking this will be my next hammocking purchase... Need a new sleeping bag anyway :-)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •