Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Images
    My first choice is relo if Algonquin won't allow interior camping. The temps look like they're warming up in the park and the flood waters are supposed to have peaked so water levels should be receding.

Rescheduling is an option, but my calendar is filling up fast.

Bubba, I wish you good fortune on your family matter and hope you are able to join us.

Is the plan to meet on Friday if it's a go (regardless of location)?

M.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The weather forecast for next week looks very promising...

Issued: 5:00 AM EDT Friday 26 April 2013
    • Today, 26 April: Mainly cloudy. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 8. UV index 5 or moderate.
    • Tonight, 26 April: Partly cloudy. Becoming cloudy near midnight with 60 percent chance of showers overnight. Low plus 1.
    • Saturday, 27 April: Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers in the morning. High 12.
    • Sunday, 28 April: Sunny. Low plus 3. High 20.
    • Monday, 29 April: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 6. High 14.
    • Tuesday, 30 April: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 8. High 15.
    • Wednesday, 1 May: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 10. High 17.
    • Thursday, 2 May: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 8. High 13.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    MEC Guides SN
    Insulation
    Bag, Thermarest
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle

Canada>Ontario>May 2013 - EGL Spring Canoe Hang - May 2013 - Planning Thread

Hi guy's, I know most of this is all up in the air right now but I'm interested in joining this trip or one later on if this one doesn't work out. I've camped on Mcintosh via canoe lake before a few years ago.

Are you thinking solo canoes, or pairing up, rentals, etc? Or too early to decide the details?

I'm from Haldimand County, about 4-5 hours from the park.

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Sorry guys I won't be able to make it.

On another front we going on the may 24 weekend ie really the 17 - 20 to bear mountain which is south and east of Alg it is all crown land. the crown lands run from hwy 60 down to Bells Bay PP to the east is spectacle lake to the south is bark lake.

If anyone is interested let me know, wife and kids will be ground dwellers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Sounds like my buddy might back out. Something about his fiance wanting his help to plan their wedding that weekend (as if he'll have any input).

So I'd be up for having a paddling partner (or I'll change my boat reservation to a solo and have to work harder).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Well it doesn't look that good in terms of ice out conditions. Looking at today's updates was not encouraging. It might be time to make a decision in terms of relocating, rescheduling or cancelling. Is there a plan E?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC Lightweight DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket
    What we found out is that Ontario Parks is very much concerned with liability issues. Our party had reservations for the middle of this coming week at Massasauga, but the opening has been further delayed to May 3rd. From what I was told, if park staff had ANY concerns, they had to delay access by 7 days. For Massasauga, that was a tiny bit of ice still left in the back bays that could shift -- a valid concern, but even though that ice is COMPLETELY gone now, the 7-day delay still holds. In other words, if they observe and declare things to be open and accessible, the park may not open the next day.

And Algonquin is even more of a mess with road access questionable in spots.

Massasauga will be open on May 3rd, though --

http://www.parkreports.com/parksblog/?p=3303#more-3303

Outfitting with rentals would be a challenge. Swift Canoe on the way up, perhaps ... and Oastler Park isn't open yet. I believe your only other option would be White Squall in Parry Sound and the logistics of that would be a hassle, to say the least.

Hope you guys work something out!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the info BrknArrow. I took a quick look at Kawartha Highlands and they seem to be all booked up.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    If we can't go to Algonquin, are we still looking for a trout fishing lake? Any fishermen out there who know of other locations other than Algonquin?

For an alternate location, assuming we find one, is there a date we need to decide to switch? Wednesday?

M.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Ironically, this week's weather forecast looks very good (high teens) and that's a good thing, but the Park officials are still telling us the ice will be out somewhere between the 3rd and the 10th. It's amazing how what seemed to be a mild winter for us down here in Toronto has turned into such a late thaw. I would never have thought it. Ice-out has been late before, but going into the second week of May? Seriously?

So, after scouring webcams and weather forecasts and waiting until the last possible minute, I'm going to propose postponing our trip to McIntosh until May 18,19 & 20 (Victoria Day Long Weekend). I know I'd really prefer to be able get back for some proper trout fishing and I've been making the run into the Park each spring for the last couple of decades, usually right after ice-out.

Let me know if this works for you and hopefully you guys can accommodate the change in plans.

P.S. I know that as soon as I wrote this, Biboon, the North Wind or Old Man Winter, will decide to loosen his hold and leave the lakes clear for Friday morning. Tricky old bugger.
    Last edited by Chard; 04-29-2013 at 10:01. Reason: Adjust Weekend Dates for Long Weekend
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast