Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 128
  1. #61
    Senior Member Taliesin96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Cobourg,On Canada
    Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    You'll be really sorry you asked...

    Let's see - tarp still needs the linelocs that are on order, hammock needs spreader bars (repurposing a friends old tent poles) and suspension, have pack frame only, it needs waistbelt and packs (doing stackpacks), compression sacks for both quilts, etc, etc, etc. ad nauseum...

    Hey, I have my stove and my quilts are made!!

    I figure I'll be able to sleep outdoors but not carry anything further than 100 feet from the car and then I'll have to make multiple trips...

    And then there's the matter of conditioning - with no dog to walk any more, I huff and puff going up a flight of stairs. I went out today for a hike and had to turn around within a 1/2 mile - the thunder was way too close to the lightning!! We chickened out!
    i'll be spending a bunch of time up your way, family and i will be hiking alot up in temegami this summer or once it warms up
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

  2. #62
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    956
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    You'll be really sorry you asked...

    Let's see - tarp still needs the linelocs that are on order, hammock needs spreader bars (repurposing a friends old tent poles) and suspension, have pack frame only, it needs waistbelt and packs (doing stackpacks), compression sacks for both quilts, etc, etc, etc. ad nauseum...

    Hey, I have my stove and my quilts are made!!

    I figure I'll be able to sleep outdoors but not carry anything further than 100 feet from the car and then I'll have to make multiple trips...

    And then there's the matter of conditioning - with no dog to walk any more, I huff and puff going up a flight of stairs. I went out today for a hike and had to turn around within a 1/2 mile - the thunder was way too close to the lightning!! We chickened out!
    Whoa dude!!!

    Not sure I can help too much but..
    • Pack: I've got a big boundary bag kicking around.
    • Compression sacks: I stuff my down in a stuff sack and then wrap it with my bear-bag rope to really compress it, really cinch it down, and then drop that into a garbage bage, twist and stuff into a second stuff sack to protect the garbage bag. Cheap, easy and effective. One of these days I'll have to get myself a fancy-shmancy compression sac with a valve, but until then it's Gladbags for me.
    • Out-of-shape? Join the club! I'm a wreck too.
    • Thunder & lightening? Take it as a sign that maybe the Big Guy was trying to get you back behind the thread injector!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

  3. #63
    'that' guy Chenvre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    Posts
    111

    Canada>Ontario>May 2013 - EGL Spring Canoe Hang - May 2013 - Planning Thread

    Hey Chard et al;

    I've been a fly on this forum wall, but I am still in, have the time booked off, and will be arranging a canoe rental next week. Hopefully this warm spell with winds will persuade the lake ice to bugger off.

    I will probably do a solo day or two after the group hang providing things go as planned.

    Considering I will be trying to have the canoe dropped off at our lake departure location (no roof racks) it would be nice to have a set location, although its understandable this might not be set in stone until closer to the date. Hoping algonquin outfitters will accommodate last minute scrambles!

    Mmmmm, Swift Shearwater. Fishies, here I come!

  4. #64
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    956
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Chenvre View Post
    Hey Chard et al;

    I've been a fly on this forum wall, but I am still in, have the time booked off, and will be arranging a canoe rental next week. Hopefully this warm spell with winds will persuade the lake ice to bugger off.

    I will probably do a solo day or two after the group hang providing things go as planned.

    Considering I will be trying to have the canoe dropped off at our lake departure location (no roof racks) it would be nice to have a set location, although its understandable this might not be set in stone until closer to the date. Hoping algonquin outfitters will accommodate last minute scrambles!

    Mmmmm, Swift Shearwater. Fishies, here I come!
    Good to hear it Chenvre,

    I'm also hoping to spend a couple of extra days either before or after the hang.

    For my part, it'd be nice to go in through Magnetewan, but everything depends on the ice and access road conditions. The Kearney access road sometimes gets flooded in the spring and the road becomes impassable. Obviously the safest bet would be to launch at Canoe Lake, but that route takes us across the biggest water.

    Hopefully AO can be a bit flexible given the late thaw. There're usually really good about things like that, given enough notice.
    Last edited by Chard; 04-19-2013 at 14:44.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Posts
    508
    My buddy is 80% in.

    It will be his first hammock trip (though he doesn't know it yet). He's borrowed a lightweight tent from me in the past instead of carrying either of his big old tents but now that I have two hammocks, I see no reason why he should be stuck on the ground.

    The route from Magnetewan is an easier trip but the access road would be my concern. Then again, it might be easier pushing a car out of the mud than the doing Tom Thompson-Macintosh portage with my current fitness.
    Last edited by keg; 04-19-2013 at 16:32.

  6. #66
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    956
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    My buddy is 80% in.

    It will be his first hammock trip (though he doesn't know it yet). He's borrowed a lightweight tent from me in the past instead of carrying either of his big old tents but now that I have two hammocks, I see no reason why he should be stuck on the ground.

    The route from Magnetewan is an easier trip but the access road would be my concern. Then again, it might be easier pushing a car out of the mud than the doing Tom Thompson-Macintosh portage with my current fitness.
    Good news Keg, glad to see you're getting your buddy out into a hammock, just make sure he's got his insulation down pat.

    The Magnetewan road can be dicey in a couple of low spots during the spring flood. Perhaps a 4x4 could get through but we might just have to go with the MNR's call on this one.

    Just a quick aside: I brought my canoe up to Swift Canoe in Gravenhurst for repairs last month and will be picking it up enroute. The only catch is that they open at 9am, so I wouldn't likely get to Canoe lake before 10:15-10:30. A little later than normal, but that's the way it goes.

    BTW: Group stew?
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Posts
    508
    My buddy's confirmed and I'm booking a canoe. Stew sounds like a plan.

    Are any details needed permit wise?

  8. #68
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    956
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    The route from Magnetewan is an easier trip but the access road would be my concern. Then again, it might be easier pushing a car out of the mud than the doing Tom Thompson-Macintosh portage with my current fitness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    The Magnetewan road can be dicey in a couple of low spots during the spring flood. Perhaps a 4x4 could get through but we might just have to go with the MNR's call on this one.
    Latest Update: As of this afternoon, Mon Apr 22, the Forestry Tower Road accessing Magnetewan, Tim and Rain Lakes is "experiencing flooding and/or washouts and thus is barricaded until further notice for public safety".

    Looks like it's Canoe Lake to McIntosh for Plan A, and I'd put forth Boncherre for Plan B, Welcome/Harry/Rence or even Louisa for Plan C.

    Plan D would be to leave the canoes at somewhere enroute (a classic Canadian spousal hoodwink manouver) and catch a flight to the West Indies to settle the hot debate on how well coconut palms support the 1" webbing as opposed to the more traditional 1.5" webbing.



    Last edited by Chard; 04-22-2013 at 16:42.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

  9. #69
    canuck_kayaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario, CANADA
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguyterrifico View Post
    Hey everyone. I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Ian and I'm from St. Catharines. I'm going to have to sit this one out but I am 110% interested in being a part of future hangs. I'm just going to have to figure out a way to break the news to my pregnant wife and two year old.
    I'm 15 minutes from you! Do you paddle as well?

    My summer is looking like the only camping I will get to do is sleeping in my hammock in the backyard

    It seems everyone I know and then some are getting married this summer. Some weekends even have 3 wedding invites for . No time for camping

  10. #70
    New Member BrknArrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    24
    No backcountry permits for overnight camping now.

    http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/...l_bulletin.php

    Not to mention still substantial ice coverage -- you have to go pretty far south to find open water!

    http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mod...s.143.250m.jpg

    You guys still planning on going to Algonquin? Our group has abandoned the idea of Temagami and is heading to Massasauga instead.

    Cheers!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •