Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TeeDee - I have one of the nylon net hammock sold on military bases. Is that what you're thinking of? Mine weighs about 8 oz and isn't nearly as comfortable as a solid panel of material, but it served me very well for several years of camping before I discovered the HH and DIY.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Cuben Fiber - Speer Design
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images

Cuben Fiber SUL Hammock

I decided to hang my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp over my Cuben Fiber Hammock and to see how it might work.

It was still daylight when I started and then I got to comfortable in the Hammock and fell asleep.

The Poncho / Tarp just covers the Hammock and might work in all but a blowing rain.

The Cuben Fiber Hammock at 6.9 ounces hanging, then adding my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp at 5.45 ounces complete, and I have a shelter and my rain gear that weighs 12.35 ounces. This combination is something to think about but I think it is just a little bit to small.

I do believe I have bracketed the size I want between the my MAC Cat Tarp and my Poncho / Tarp.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery.../CFHCFPT-1.jpg
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery.../CFHCFPT-2.JPG

I also spent a little time trying different sleeping pads in the Hammock. My Warmlight Down Air Mattress will work in this Hammock but is a little on the thick and big side. I them tried several of my Gossamer Gear sleeping pads. The 3/8" works OK, the 1/4" works OK and the 1/8" ones work OK. The 1/4" is a little large and if I went with it I would cut it smaller.
    Last edited by gardenville; 03-10-2007 at 21:59. Reason: This is a test to see if I can post the picture with the message.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenville View Post
    I decided to hang my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp over my Cuben Fiber Hammock and to see how it might work.

It was still daylight when I started and then I got to comfortable in the Hammock and fell asleep.

The Poncho / Tarp just covers the Hammock and might work in all but a blowing rain.

The Cuben Fiber Hammock at 6.9 ounces hanging, then adding my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp at 5.45 ounces complete, and I have a shelter and my rain gear that weighs 12.35 ounces. This combination is something to think about but I think it is just a little bit to small.

I do believe I have bracketed the size I want between the my MAC Cat Tarp and my Poncho / Tarp.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery.../CFHCFPT-1.jpg
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery.../CFHCFPT-2.JPG

I also spent a little time trying different sleeping pads in the Hammock. My Warmlight Down Air Mattress will work in this Hammock but is a little on the thick and big side. I them tried several of my Gossamer Gear sleeping pads. The 3/8" works OK, the 1/4" works OK and the 1/8" ones work OK. The 1/4" is a little large and if I went with it I would cut it smaller.
    Bill,

If you hang the tarp asym style it will cover.... but I do agree with you, that a little larger tarp is smarter.... welcome to the site ...nice project.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    nice hammock, but, boy...its is small.....and i am short!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images
    I took a couple of daylight pictures of my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp and Cuben Fiber Hammock.

What you can't see in the pictures is rain. We were having a light rain so I went out an got into my new Hammock. I wasn't sure how the small Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp would work. Laying in the Hammock the light rain picked up to a heavier rain. This went on for about 30 minutes and then slacked off a bit. The Hammock sagged enough with me in it to drop it down under the small size of the Poncho / Tarp. Once in awhile I would get a blowing drop of rain or two. When the rain picked up I pulled the Cuben Fiber from the sides up around me. I did this more to block the wind then the rain.

While I was laying there watching the rain fall, I got several ideas to try that may let me use this small tarp with a couple of light weight and minor modifications. The modifications will be add ons so I can use them or leave them off.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=624&c=4
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=625&c=4
    Last edited by gardenville; 03-11-2007 at 18:56.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenville View Post
    I took a couple of daylight pictures of my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp and Cuben Fiber Hammock.

What you can't see in the pictures is rain. We were having a light rain so I went out an got into my new Hammock. I wasn't sure how the small Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp would work. Laying in the Hammock the light rain picked up to a heavier rain. This went on for about 30 minutes and then slacked off a bit. The Hammock sagged enough with me in it to drop it down under the small size of the Poncho / Tarp. Once in awhile I would get a blowing drop of rain or two. When the rain picked up I pulled the Cuben Fiber from the sides up around me. I did this more to block the wind then the rain.

While I was laying there watching the rain fall, I got several ideas to try that may let me use this small tarp with a couple of light weight and minor modifications. The modifications will be add ons so I can use them or leave them off.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=624&c=4
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=625&c=4
    Looks good, but man it's small! You've got more guts than I do! Hope it works out for you!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Looks good, but man it's small! You've got more guts than I do! Hope it works out for you!
    A funny picture would be his tarp side by side with yours. His whole tarp is probibly under half the size of yours.

Come to think about it, mine is only 6" narrower on each side.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    gardenville - nice looking poncho/tarp (or is that tarp/poncho ).

Question - I noticed what looks like cuban fiber on either end to which the cords are tied to. Is that really cuban fiber and part of the tarp? If so, what function does it play when used as a poncho?
    Isn't that his hammock?

Hammock
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images

Cuben Fiber SUL Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    gardenville - nice looking poncho/tarp (or is that tarp/poncho ).

Question - I noticed what looks like cuban fiber on either end to which the cords are tied to. Is that really cuban fiber and part of the tarp? If so, what function does it play when used as a poncho?
    TeeDee,
    I think what you are talking about is the Cuben Fiber Hammock ends sticking out from under the Cuben Fiber Tarp. The picture does make the ends of the hammock look like they are part of the tarp.

Do any of these pictures help answer your question? The bamboo is only used to hold the Tarp off the Hammock line.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=628&c=4
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=627&c=4
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=626&c=4
    Last edited by gardenville; 03-12-2007 at 18:14. Reason: Add photos.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images

Cuben Fiber SUL Hammock

It is nice to see this Forum has grown so much. There is such a nice civil tone to all the threads I have read tonight. I also appreciate the many nice comments about some of my old MYOG projects.

I have my Cuben Hammock back out and playing with it to see what I need to stay warm in it to a low of 35 to 40 degrees. The weather here in San Antonio, Texas has been getting down to around 35 to 38 each night for about a week now. I figure I will not see temperatures much lower along the southern AT the end of April. I have a possible window for a long hike on the AT sometime late April till maybe the first of September.

I want to use this Cuben hammock if it is big enough for me and whatever I need in the way of sleeping gear to stay warm or make another one a bit larger. I want to see how the Cuben Fiber holds up day after day for at least a 1000 miles. My goal is to get to Harpers Ferry and then see how things are going and how much time I have left. I don't want to call this a thru hike, just a long hike. It would be nice to finish it if I have enough time left.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast