Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    krshome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Massanutten, VA
    Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7, DH Darien UL 1.6, DIYs
    Tarp
    WB Edge/HG 4Season
    Insulation
    7DIncubator&Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR+Whoopies w/DW
    Posts
    659

    UCR or Whoopies is one stronger?

    Not a question of what to use but a question of which is stronger? I'm assuming if they where made of the same material they should be the same strength? Both the Whoopie and the UCR weakest point would be the point which is a single strand of rope, right?

  2. #2
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,356
    Images
    57
    I would think the whoopie slings would have the edge because a whoopie sling bury has constriction the entire length of the bury because both ends are loaded. With the UCR, the constriction tapers off the closer you get to the unloaded end.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Hiknhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    DIY "Magna-Hammock"
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Posts
    716
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I would think the whoopie slings would have the edge because a whoopie sling bury has constriction the entire length of the bury because both ends are loaded. With the UCR, the constriction tapers off the closer you get to the unloaded end.
    There have been some mods made on the UCR to make it much more dependable. See thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66163

    With a prusik on the unloaded end as shown in the instructions, it makes it less apt to trip that end. Some folks do a loop and put a kleimheist made from a smaller diameter line, or I just tied a stopper knot on it and tied some shock cord around it. That worked great. I hung on that rig this past weekend at the Yates Place hang, and it held my petite 275 lbs no sweat!

  4. #4
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,356
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    There have been some mods made on the UCR to make it much more dependable. See thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66163

    With a prusik on the unloaded end as shown in the instructions, it makes it less apt to trip that end. Some folks do a loop and put a kleimheist made from a smaller diameter line, or I just tied a stopper knot on it and tied some shock cord around it. That worked great. I hung on that rig this past weekend at the Yates Place hang, and it held my petite 275 lbs no sweat!
    I used some small diametre line and a kleimheist on my UCR's. The small loads to prevent the UCR bury from slipping still do not match the load created by a whoopie. If you made a UCR bury long enough you could probably match the amount of constriction on a whoopie but if you matched a UCR used for hammock suspension against a similar length whoopie, I could be wrong but I think the whoopie would be stronger.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hiknhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    DIY "Magna-Hammock"
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Posts
    716
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I used some small diametre line and a kleimheist on my UCR's. The small loads to prevent the bury from slipping still do not match the load created by a whoopie. If you made a UCR bury long enough you could probably match the amount of constriction on a whoopie but if you matched a UCR used for hammock suspension against a similar length whoopie, I think the whoopie would be stronger.
    I think you're right, Bubba. I missed the point of the question in my reply. The UCR is more dependable now with a good mod, but the Whoopie is stronger and even more dependable all things considered.

  6. #6
    krshome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Massanutten, VA
    Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7, DH Darien UL 1.6, DIYs
    Tarp
    WB Edge/HG 4Season
    Insulation
    7DIncubator&Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR+Whoopies w/DW
    Posts
    659
    Lets forget about which one works better, I'm talking breaking strength. When it comes down to it the Whoopie is weakest at the constrictor where the tail comes out. It's at that spot on the Whoopie where it's a single line and that spot takes the most abuse. The UCR would have the same weak spot at the constrictor, however the whole rig is a single line. So which one will snap from weight + abuse first? Would both suspensions still essentially be equal in breaking strength having the same weak point?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Hiknhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    DIY "Magna-Hammock"
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Posts
    716
    Images
    1

    UCR or Whoopies is one stronger?

    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Lets forget about which one works better, I'm talking breaking strength. When it comes down to it the Whoopie is weakest at the constrictor where the tail comes out. It's at that spot on the Whoopie where it's a single line and that spot takes the most abuse. The UCR would have the same weak spot at the constrictor, however the whole rig is a single line. So which one will snap from weight + abuse first? Would both suspensions still essentially be equal in breaking strength having the same weak point?
    I would think they would be equal. The UCR is basically a Whoopie with part of the adjustable loop removed, so it should be pretty close. I guess the one other possible weak link is that there is an extra locked Brummell loop on the UCR at the tree end where the Whoopie just loops over the MSH. If that is done correctly they should be darn near equal. I'm no engineer, but it stands to reason for me.

  8. #8
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,356
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Lets forget about which one works better, I'm talking breaking strength. When it comes down to it the Whoopie is weakest at the constrictor where the tail comes out. It's at that spot on the Whoopie where it's a single line and that spot takes the most abuse. The UCR would have the same weak spot at the constrictor, however the whole rig is a single line. So which one will snap from weight + abuse first? Would both suspensions still essentially be equal in breaking strength having the same weak point?
    From that point of view that's a good question. I would think their weak points would be the same since the line is subject to the same stresses in both if you are hanging from the constrictor on the UCR.
    Last edited by Bubba; 03-13-2013 at 15:43.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  9. #9
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,250
    If both are made correctly, and made from the same line they both will be the same as far as breaking strength!
    Formerly known as "Cranky Bear"....

    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

    It's always best if your an early riser!

    I like hiking as it's like exercise!

    My Blog

  10. #10
    Member Jungle Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Hammock
    Hennessey Hyperlite, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    20D Asym w/UC/OC
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ 0 Deg
    Suspension
    Hennessey, for now
    Posts
    82
    I would like to know which will be lighter for a given adjustment range....and I intend to find out as soon as my Amsteel gets here.

    Jungle Jim

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •