HH Explorer UL Zip
    Tarp
    DIY Gear Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    It's both, but I suspect the more important of the two is the vapor barrier.

I'm looking forward to trying this VB sandwich setup for three nights, predicted to be about 38 degF, this weekend:

Heresy Explorer hammock
    Space Blanket
    KAQ quilt
    SuperShelter UnderCover

I have not decided whether to use the SS OCF pad. I might want it as a holder for the SB.
    Did you shape your SB any? I was thinking about using the pad as a pattern and making the SB 4 - 5 inches larger all around.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    ok... it was my understanding that the neat sheet was not breathable. I could be wrong about that which is why I posed the question. Can anyone clear that up for sure?

THE NEAT SHEET® Ground Cover is different from other tarps in that it is breathable, lighter weight, softer, and stays cool in the hot sun. THE NEAT SHEET® Ground Cover doesn't pick up sand and repels water, offering better protection than a bulky blanket. It folds up small for easy-carry and storage.
    From the Neat Sheet website.

Flush that idea... thanks MrPrez for pointing that out.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 02-16-2009 at 13:29. Reason: research
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Is the purpose of the space blanket/heat sheet simply a vapor barrier, or is the reflective heat process a major part of the system. I do not have a "space blanket" nor a heat sheet. However I do have some Neat sheets which, if I understand correctly would serve as a vapor barrier. what is the trade off I am looking at there?
    That is probably debatable, I'm sure. I think TH would claim the radiant heat reflection is a major factor, but many would dispute that. :Personally, I "feel" it is at least somewhat of a factor.

However, I think the most important aspect of it is the SB/Heatsheet in this system is the VB effect. It adds warmth in the fashion normally expected of a VB and for all the usual VB reasons, and might even add a little more wind resistance to the system. But, since the outer layer of the SS is a VB, I find that the SS tends to often not function well without the SB or a plain old VB. Unless it is pretty warm and unless the humidity levels are fairly dry, I have found that condensation down in the UC and in the OCF pad ( especially the foot for some reason) can be a booger bear. Not always, but often enough. One time I woke up on about a hi 40-lo 50 degree morning to find the foot of my bag damp and the foot of my OCF pad pretty soaked. But I was plenty warm any way- I only discovered it when I was getting up for the day- and all dried quickly. This was the only the second time I did not use my SB, and the only time I got wet from condensation. For some reason, the other time was experimenting in the high 30s, not using the SB, and I did not get wet. My legs and feet got cold, but not wet. Go figure.

I an now convinced that a good many( but not all) of the early massive failures of the SS were due to a reluctance, or even a flat out refusal, to use the SB as recommended by TH.

A VB is the main thing you need I suspect, but, how hard is it to get your hands on a Heatsheet? They just cost a few $, weigh a few oz, and work great with the SS.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Images
    Some of the mylar space blankets are cheap and light. Seems like I've seen them for about $2. They weigh about 2 ounces and are about 52x82 inches.

I have used reinforced strapping tape to fashion pull tabs on space blankets using a technique I got from Jack Stephenson for making a plastic drop cloth as a ground sheet that matches up with the pull outs on his tents. Works with plastic drop cloth as well. About six inch pieces of the tape with a two inch piece attached adhesive side to adhesive side and centered. The two inch pieces won't adhere when the six inch piece is folded an attached as pull tabs.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Heat Sheet is on order.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Did you shape your SB any?
    No, I shape it in place, sort of, when I lay it in the contoured OCF pad. Lots of pieces peek out, and must be tucked in somewhere. It's a pain, because the SS UC bungies tend to tighten up with no load on them, which pulls a dart right up the middle of the hammock, pad and SB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I was thinking about using the pad as a pattern and making the SB 4 - 5 inches larger all around.
    That is a great idea!

Not sure it is worth it, but it sure would look good. I'll keep mine full size, for two reasons. First, it will fit the larger KAQ, if I don't use the OCF pad. Second, it will remain useful as a full size emergency SB.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Zip
    Tarp
    DIY Gear Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    No, I shape it in place, sort of, when I lay it in the contoured OCF pad. Lots of pieces peek out, and must be tucked in somewhere. It's a pain, because the SS UC bungies tend to tighten up with no load on them, which pulls a dart right up the middle of the hammock, pad and SB.

That is a great idea!

Not sure it is worth it, but it sure would look good. I'll keep mine full size, for two reasons. First, it will fit the larger KAQ, if I don't use the OCF pad. Second, it will remain useful as a full size emergency SB.
    That's a good point - the KAQ. Coming soon to a theater near you!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Well... I finally got the chance to play with the Super shelter outside... Now I can finish up my vid on that baby. I was quite pleased and impressed with it.

My gear:
    Balaclava
    hoodie sweatshirt
    lightweight polypro shirt/pants
    normal socks

0* cheap coleman sleeping bag

Heat Sheet
    Super shelter

I got down to 12* although I would not have wanted to go any lower in that setup I called it a hang after about 3 hours. The issues had less to do with being cold and more to do with other issues I have to deal with. .. like noisy neighbors and ambient lights from the highrise next door.

That system works pretty darn good I think.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl or HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Siltarp 2 Stock HH
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Images

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I got down to 12* although I would not have wanted to go any lower in that setup...That system works pretty darn good I think.
    Congratulations. You have successfully avoided the big mistake many new SS users make which is to omit the SB.

Your next step could be try throwing a few more items in the UC, and seeing if you can dress a little lighter or go lower in temps. I've had great success with my down jacket under the OCF pad at temps down to 0F.

That's one of the great benefits of the SS over UQ's: it is possible to multipurpose gear items that are already in your pack (and paid for...) Yes, the UQ owners will claim they can use their quilts in camp, but how many actually do? I'm sure some of the JRB owners use the down sleeves, hood, etc. to make a parka out of their quilt, but then you have to disrobe and muck around attaching the UQ right before you hit the hay, and you have to buy all that extra stuff.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The heat sheet is one of the best choices as a supplement to the SS, or any under quilt.

It's amazing how the SS can get you below 20 degF with so little material involved, and money invested!
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com