Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

North Country Trail U.P Michigan

I am wanting to do the 530 mile hike of the NCT across the UP from St. Ignace to Ironwood after this semester of college ends. I have found the maps necessary at northcountrytrail.org. However I am looking for some kind of trail guide so I can get an idea for resupplying, It looks kind of difficult for the first little bit. Anybody have any resources or experience with this hike in particular?
    Thanks,
    Travis

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    I don't but wanted to wish you good luck and safe journeys. Hopefully someone will have the info for you.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - SR1355
    UGQ Outdoor Equipment
    Makers of High Performance Sleeping Gear and Tarps

CLICK HERE TO VISIT UGQ GALLERY

CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE

FOLLOW UGQ ON FACEBOOK

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    You may want to make a pre trip to make some Caches along the way. or line something up with us michihangers to hang along the way to resupply you. sounds like an awesome hike.

I plan on sending resupply packages by mail to checkpoints along the way from the home-front. I don't have all the details worked out as of yet, still gotta order the maps but I should be doing that fairly soon.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Down/Duck
    Suspension
    Varies
    Sounds like a good time. Be sure to file rip reports with tons of pictures.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner & ENO
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven11
    Insulation
    Jrbg NewRvr & RevX
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Good luck on your journey. You might want to touch base with some of the local chapters to see if they can help you out with resupplying. I met a great outfitter, Dennis at Grand Marais Outfittlers, who handled our transportation on a late fall PIRO trip. Also, check out Trailspotters Michigan in the Munising area for trail services.
    Last edited by michigandave; 03-24-2013 at 09:01.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Good luck on your hike! I just wanted to say I ordered maps from NCTA for a couple regions in my area and was quite impressed with the quality. The maps are made of that non-tearable, waterproof paper and fold up small enough to fit in a pocket. Each map has distances marked, water locations, campgrounds, trailheads, etc...... You receive a small discount by becoming a member of the NCTA.

http://northcountrytrail.org/trail/s...re-by-section/

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by cmich View Post
    I plan on sending resupply packages by mail to checkpoints along the way from the home-front. I don't have all the details worked out as of yet, still gotta order the maps but I should be doing that fairly soon.

Trap Hills Section

Hi! Just dropping a note to say that I interpret Old Victoria on the East part of the Trap Hills (right next to a lovely NCT shelter) in the Peter Wolfe Chapter of the NCT . . . and I am up there alongside the trail all summer. . . if you need a supply drop arranged here I would be happy to accommodate your needs, just drop me a line!

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY Ripstop nylon
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

UP hang

I am hoping to do a hang up in the NCT UP section late this summer. I called the NCT association to get more info and they gave me an email for a guy. I haven't had a chance to research any further but I will be very interested in your trip. I am wanting to do a much shorter trip along the shore of lake superior maybe 2 or 3 days

The pictured rocks national lakeshore part of the NCT from Grand Marais to Munising is a 42 mile stretch of trail skirting the shoreline that you could spend a couple of days checking out. There are plenty of opportunities for stunning views in this area. When I hiked this section of the NCT last year, I parked at GM and used the Altran shuttle service once I hit Munising falls.

I am most looking forward to the Trap Hills section of the NCT this summer though.