Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any solution for bugs and rain?

Ok, I'm a newb at these, but I like the company so I thought I'd give them a look. I've gone hammock camping in various 'jungle hammocks' which offer bug netting and rain coverage. In the US North East, both are essential as I'm not sure I've ever been on a back woods trip without rain, and the bugs go with the territory. These hammocks look very comfortable, but what do you do about bugs and rain? Any options?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You can DIY a bug tube pretty easily. Warbonnet sells one too!
    There are tons of choices to make when it comes to tarps. Most people end-up getting a larger tarp anyway. One nice thing is that you get to customize your set-up right off the bat.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 03-01-2009 at 13:45. Reason: Forgot tarps
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    Ok, I'm a newb at these, but I like the company so I thought I'd give them a look. I've gone hammock camping in various 'jungle hammocks' which offer bug netting and rain coverage. In the US North East, both are essential as I'm not sure I've ever been on a back woods trip without rain, and the bugs go with the territory. These hammocks look very comfortable, but what do you do about bugs and rain? Any options?

take a look at the clarks and all the clarks now that are being made are made of 100% misquito proof material along with the bug net and weather shield is how you combat those things.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Took me a while to figure it out because he doesn't mention it anywhere in the post, but he posted in the TrekLight forum. I can only assume the question is directed about a bug net and tarp solution for a TL. They (TrekLight) don't sell anything like that right now.

I see why you like the folks at Clark cavediver2. I've been having email conversations with them for a couple of weeks now. They seem very helpful and don't seem to be bothered by my silly questions.
    Trust nobody!

Cavediver, I am quite familiar with the Clarks as a friend of mine has let me use his all winter for my winter camping. I love the Clark NA, but it's expensive. Before I make a choice which to jump on for my own, I was looking around. I like the TrekLight company and gear, so thought I'd look to see if one of those would work for me. Cannibal is correct, my question was in regard to the TL's.

Clark is a great company, with great people, with a great product. My only problem is cost, as they're expensive. Where I tend to hike, there is almost always rain and bugs, so I need something that can shed them away. When there isn't rain and bugs, there is snow. The Clark handles all of the above, hard to find a better solution I think. Still, thought I'd poke around a bit before investing in anything of my own.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    bristolview, you might want to check out the Claytor Jungle Hamock. I have the Claytor mosquito and love it. They are a little less expensive than the clarks.

Hammock
    Treklite Double
    Tarp
    SG 12 x 12 camo
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Rings!
    Images
    Well mister Bristolview I must tell you that I have and love my TrekLight Double all I did was buy a Guide Gear tarp from the Sportsmans guide (around 30 bucks) and I got a bugnet from my local sportsmans warehouse, but they have them at any camping place, just the cheap ones made to hang over a cot or whatever and it worked great for me, but ever since I treated my Hammock with Permethrin <sp> I haven't needed to use it, and I camp a lot in the Congaree Swamp and trust me, tons of mosquitoes there!! And I have seen several different hammocks in person (no BlackBird yet) and I still like mine best, wouldn't trade it yet (as I said though, I have yet to see or lie in a BB lol) Anyways Just sayin if you like the TrekLight, get it and iy is very easy to make it work for you!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Fairly new here too, but I've been reading a ton, so I'll share my observations... Just about every hammock can handle rain and bugs if equipped properly. Hammocks without bug nets, like eno and trek light, can have bug nets added to them easily.

ENO sells the guardian bugnet for 55 bucks, Warbonnetguy sells a travel net for 65, and I'm sure some other companies sell similar things as well. These could be used on any gathered end hammock without a bug net.

Alternatively, there are piles and piles of hammocks with bug nets built in, that aren't as expensive as the clarks... A great choice would be the Warbonnet Blackbird (tons of us have them and love them!) or, if you REALLY want to save some cash, it's hard to get much less expensive than the byer mosquito hammock (40 bucks) or travel hammock skeeter beeter (60 bucks).

For rain, your solution is gonna be the same no matter which hammock you get - put a tarp over the thing. Doesn't matter what brand hammock you use, tarps are interchangeable... get the one that suits your needs best, or better yet, get a bunch of them, for different needs! Outdoor Equipment Suppliers is popular on this forum, especially for the maccat tarp, but I've got tarps from speer and warbonnetguy that I like, too. Jacks R Better tarps look to be top notch too. You pretty much can't go wrong buying a tarp from anyone EXCEPT ENO, whose tarps seem to be pretty hated around here.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Took me a while to figure it out because he doesn't mention it anywhere in the post, but he posted in the TrekLight forum. I can only assume the question is directed about a bug net and tarp solution for a TL. They (TrekLight) don't sell anything like that right now.

I see why you like the folks at Clark cavediver2. I've been having email conversations with them for a couple of weeks now. They seem very helpful and don't seem to be bothered by my silly questions.
    oh crap i didn't notice that my bad well they do make a real light one with bug net i don't know how light he's looking for

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    Hiya Bristolview
    I have a Claytor Jungle hammock for sale link here
    That would fix your bug problem...find yourself a tarp and you will be all set.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast