WL Lite Owl or Snipe/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF/Superfly/OMW
    Insulation
    Quilt/Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/AWS

Preferred Pad Length and Width?

I'm curious what you've found works best for you in terms of pad length and width in a DL hammock. Unlike many, I like using a pad, especially for winter camping. I'm about to order a thinner CCF pad for my WBBB for warm weather use and would appreciate hearing from you about recommended length and width. Thanks.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    --General George S. Patton, Jr.--

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG CF/Superfly/OMW
    Insulation
    Quilt/Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/AWS
    I'll be more specific in case that helps generate feedback. I typically use a 20" x 60" pad. Even though it exposes the shoulders a bit, that's the width I've used due to bulk and weight of a thick pad for winter backpacking. For warm weather use, I'm going to pick up a 1/8" or 1/4" pad and was wondering what you might recommend in terms of ideal length and width for you in a double layer hammock. I'm thinking 25" would be a better width, and that 72" would be a good length. It still won't be all that bulky and weight won't be a concern because my warm weather load is very light.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I prefer a 25" wide pad to a 20" pad. The 20" width just doesn't cover very well in a hammock. For me the ideal length is about your height. I'm 5' 6" tall and use a 3/8 pad 66" inches long and 25" wide. Most people advocate a shorter pad, but I've tried them and in a hammock, just doesn't work for me. Trying to put something under my exposed legs just doesn't work for me, what ever it is tends to slide out away from my legs and feet. The biggest complaint I have with my pad is it's very bulky and hard to carry no matter what I do.

Images
    I've been experimenting with some DIY pad styles and sizes myself. I guess I should state that I'm 6'3" and have fairly wide shoulders. I recently put together a 30"x48"x.5" CCF pad. I tested it last weekend and was pleased with the insulation. Going a little wider I got plenty of wrap-around for my shoulders. The edges are a little rough so I either need to put it in a syl cover or shave/round them a bit to make them more comfortable when I use the bag as a TQ and my arms are out from my body (my wife says I sleep like I'm laying in a coffin anyway - elbows out, hands folded gently across my chest - all dressed up and no place to go as the Irish would say).

LW everytime for me. Comfort is king.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG CF/Superfly/OMW
    Insulation
    Quilt/Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/AWS
    Thanks guys for the feedback. Just ordered a 1/4" pad from Lawson Outdoor Equipment that's 24" x 74" for summer use. It'll be much lighter than my underquilt, and I don't mind using a pad. Hopefully 24 inches will do the trick.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I've got a gigantic pad, alps mountaineering, 30"x72"x5/8". Haven't used it yet, but this thing is huge. Thinking of lashing it to the canoe somehow rather than figuring a way to strap to the pack.

Hammock
    DIY, once I build it
    Tarp
    DIY, after Hammck
    Insulation
    DIY, after Tarp
    Suspension
    DOH! B4 Tarp
    Images
    I'm just starting a DIY WBBB, DL and was looking last night at how much of a thread gap I need to slide a pad in between layers. I have a 48x20 Thermarest, a 72x26 Thermarest, and a 71x25 Exped Synmat. I'd like to use the Exped. Any thoughts on whether it would fit in my 10'-6" hammock? I'd position it 1st, then inflate.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've use a 30" wide by 39" long closed cell pad from Gossamer Gear http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-4-wide.html
    Used on several 1 to 4 day winter/spring outings.
    I cut their 39"X60" pad in half (so I have 2 half length pads and I use doubled up pads below 35 degrees). I find a 24" pad isn't wide enough.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts