Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Not entirely. But when the temps are in the 60s or above and I am out of the wind, I find I don't need much at in the way of a TQ.
    in the 60s??

I was thinking if (for weight reasons) I could replace both quilts with the PP and same weight in the winter. Specifically, I was asking you about at MT Rogers...
    As I've researched more, I'm thinking no, but I'll keep looking
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    ...I've not figured a real good way to vent the SnugFit (Youngblood?)
    Different hammock setups allow you to do some things with venting a SnugFit a little differently. But you can always lengthen the suspension attachment lines so that it isn't snug fitting... gravity is a natural venting force with underquilts. I find that I don't really vent it as much as just not use it until the temps get below 70F(?), then I just vent my top side insulation much like I do in my bed at home. I varied the baffle thickness to to make the insulation provide more uniform warmth to reduce the cold butt syndrome and the hot back syndrome at the same time. I also limited the amount of insulation to try and keep it from being too warm in the 50F to 70F range.

SnugFits are a little different in some ways in how they work versus how the Peapod works. How much of a diagonal you can lay on, how they handle bug netting, overall weight (factoring in top side insulation), flexibility versus user adjustments, etc. It isn't a case where everyone will always prefer one approach versus the othe, they are both excellent products that Ed and I as designers are very proud of.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    It isn't a case where everyone will always prefer one approach versus the other, they are both excellent products that Ed and I as designers are very proud of.
    And that is why I have so many different quilts. So many different configurations out there to try! You and Ed should be proud, I do love my SnugFit.

Thanks for answering my question; figured it's always best to go to the source.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    in the 60s??

I was thinking if (for weight reasons) I could replace both quilts with the PP and same weight in the winter. Specifically, I was asking you about at MT Rogers...
    At Mt Rogers, on Friday night, I was using the PP as an UQ and a 20* down bag as a quilt. On Saturday night, I pulled the PP completely around me and still with the 20* bag as a quilt. I was actually hot at times and had to ventilate. I also was using the HH UC and a mylar VB.

The Speer Winter tarp was hung in the winter mode with the doors shut on both nights.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I also use my PeaPod on my HH and it works equally well as just an underquilt or, I can wrap it around me as it was intended to be used. I had it wrapped around me at Mt Rogers where it reached 11* on Saturday night and I was quite comfortable.

BTW, the PP is on sale now for an incredible price! http://speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm
    That is great to hear, MrP. So you obviously have the zipper option, or at least you have removed the HH net. So what else did you have, above and below, for use with the pod?

EDIT: Never mind, I see the you already answered that. You confirm ( being to hot at 11*) what I think: the Pod PLUS a top quilt is probably going to surpass the 20*F rating by a good bit-- not so much with a summer weight quilt, by a good bit with 20* quilt or bag.

You didn't have to add anything underneath at 11*F?

EDIT again! I see you used a VB and HH UC. Yep, that will give a nice boost.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-06-2009 at 19:21.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You guys are NOT helping!
    Just walk away from the computer, Cannibal, just walk away! With WB UQs( more than one?) and Snugfits, you just don't need a PeaPod! Don't become like me, it is a sad way of life. There is really no reason why I couldn't have gotten by with the gateway hammock, my HH with SS!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No way am I backing away, I've got me plans for a hammock hostel! <dancing banana here>
    Trust nobody!

Images
    in the 60s??

The Pod is rated at either 20*F(2 oz overfill) or 30*F(reg) BOTTOM WARMTH ONLY. It is just as thick and warm on top, but the hammock holds it off of you making it give up some warmth from the gap or drafts out of the breather hole, with no seal around the neck. But this varies with the hammock. A narrow ( ie Claytor) hammock allows the pod to lay down mostly on or very close to your body. And close enough that you can manage to seal off around the neck with the clothing you are wearing. So in this fashion I got by in the 20s-30s with pod ONLY, plus my clothing.

Even with a wider hammock and no top quilt, if you close the pod all the way, or nearly so, you can actually use it close to the rating( with some puffy clothing). Closing it, or just leaving a very small vent, seems to give a HUGE boost in the warmth. Of course, most of us get a little paranoid about condensation, but no problems so far. Another thing is if you turn on your side, you can roll the pod with you, leaving a small breather hole kind of "sealed" right against your face with great warmth. Or with a separate hood, you can leave your head out and seal the pod around your neck.

What it comes down to is: With the 20* pod and a wide hammock, you won't be warm enough at 20* on top without a top quilt addition or at least some really warm fluffy clothing, and even then you might have to close it up. HOWEVER, YOU CAN use a MUCH lighter top quilt at 20* than you otherwise could. Or- at least in my case- using a 20* TQ will take you well beyond 20- as MrPrez said- too hot at 11*.

With a narrow hammock you can get closer to the 20* rating on top, but you will still need some help from clothing.

in the 60s??

It was in the upper 50s on that particular trip. I may have been just as comfortable in colder weather, but I haven't tested it in any between that and what we had at Mt Rogers.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have never tried a snugfit but have tried several UC/TQ combos. For warm weather an light UQ and TQ combo is my favorite. But for cooler temps the Peapod and a summer TQ inside, as needed, are my favorite. I also made one of these. And for really cold temps a second light quilt in the bottom of the Peapod and use my JRB hood as the Peapod hood. I just love the cocoon effect of the Peapod. For the record...I have the standard Peapod.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast