Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller
    Posts
    73

    Question Why no price police

    I have read in the for sale section under the rules that it is generally frowned upon to post in someones for sale thread where you can buy or get the item cheaper. I guess my question is why? This is a fantastic site with a wealth of information, very friendly and helpful people, and it really seems like everyone is trying to help out everyone else. That being said I see it almost as a disservice to any potential buyer not to fully inform them where they can get the item the cheapest, furthermore it would be in the best interest of the seller to let them know they are selling their item for above market price.

    This doesnt seem like a website dedicated to making anyone money, in fact it explicitly states that the for sale section is not a place to start a small business, but a place where you can pass forward unwanted or unneeded items. It would seem that no one would purposly put an item up in the for sale section to rip someone off, but we don't live in a perfect world and unfortunately there are people out there trying to make a quick buck.

    I can see how it could be a bit frustrating to post something for sale, only to have someone inform potential buyers they can buy it cheaper elsewhere, but who cares! If its frustrating to you, you have put an item up for sale for more money than the item is worth, weather you know it or not you are setting someone up to get ripped off. I know if I bought ANY item in the for sale section, only to find a few days later I could have bought the item cheaper elsewhere I would feel taken advantage of.

    We are a community of hammockers, backpackers, campers, outdoorsmen ( and women) and we should always be looking out for one another. The only situation where I feel like this could be a problem would be if an individual is posting in someone elses for sale thread and linking or referring potential buyers to THEIR item that is for sale for less. Other than that shouldnt we all be striving to help one another out?

    Most of the items in the for sale thread are in fact a great deal. Most of the used items are being sold for less than you can buy them elsewhere anyway. It is a great way for people to pass on unused gear, and still not take a total loss on the gear.

    So lets hear it, why is this a rule?

  2. #2
    Mountain Gout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    Superfly- Edge
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Posts
    1,260
    Of course the obvious would be respect for the seller.. People looking for an item should or would have already done their home work on pricing.. Other times the seller carries the shipping cost.... Starting a thread separately on so and so having a sale probably would be the acceptable alternative ... JMO...
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

  3. #3
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    - Because it's rude, and it creates needless friction in the threads.

    - Because items are worth what someone is willing to pay for them, not what 'the cheapest possible price anywhere' happens to be. Often, a person is quite happy to pay more if they know the history of an item or can get it quickly.

    - Because the seller may be simply recouping funds when they sell something they themselves paid a higher price for. There's nothing wrong with that, especially if the buyer is happy with the price.

    The marketplace here isn't about delivering the best deals to buyers. It's about having a place to exchange goods between members at prices that are agreeable to both parties.

    If you're concerned about the price of an item, then research it for yourself. And a polite PM to the seller may be appropriate. But the price policing rule definitely serves a purpose, and we're going to keep it.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    - Because it's rude, and it creates needless friction in the threads.

    - Because items are worth what someone is willing to pay for them, not what 'the cheapest possible price anywhere' happens to be. Often, a person is quite happy to pay more if they know the history of an item or can get it quickly.

    - Because the seller may be simply recouping funds when they sell something they themselves paid a higher price for. There's nothing wrong with that, especially if the buyer is happy with the price.

    The marketplace here isn't about delivering the best deals to buyers. It's about having a place to exchange goods between members at prices that are agreeable to both parties.

    If you're concerned about the price of an item, then research it for yourself. And a polite PM to the seller may be appropriate. But the price policing rule definitely serves a purpose, and we're going to keep it.
    To each of your points- It is not rude to inform people where they can buy items for a reasonable price, however selling something for more than it is worth I agree, very rude.

    An item is worth what people are willing to pay for it. I completely agree with this one, some items are one of a kind, have faster shipping, or some other reason why they would pay extra for an item. But all buyers should be able to weigh their options. As long as the buyer is well aware of their options, it should be THEIR decision if it is worth it. Informing someone they can pick up the same item for half the price but a slower delivery time allows the buyer to choose what is important to them.

    The buyer may be recouping funds- again this is fine if the buyer is ok with the price. But would that buyer be ok with the price if they saw they could get it for half the price elsewhere? Probably not.

    The marketplace is for exchanging goods at prices agreeable to both parties. Again I agree- as long as both parties agree to a price, again the same issue is present, would you agree to a price if you knew you could get it elsewhere at a better price?

    " If you're concerned about the price of an item, then research it for yourself."
    - Exactly what this site is NOT about. We are here to help one another, NOTHING on this site is about doing it all yourself, its about reaching out for help within the community, and helping one another.

    My rant is over, I most definitely won't be playing price police, I will follow all forum rules. I still disagree with the policy, but thats how the world works!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by mcochran28 View Post
    To each of your points- It is not rude to inform people where they can buy items for a reasonable price, however selling something for more than it is worth I agree, very rude.
    It is rude to do so publicly. At the very least, it's insulting.

    If you honestly believe that informing the seller is in the seller's best interest, then you inform the seller privately so as not to embarrass the seller openly. That's pretty basic manners there. You also missed the sub-point of angrysparrow's post; friction. We (everyone, not just the mods) work hard to keep this place a place that people like to visit regularly. In order to help that mission along, the mods try to remove obvious friction points. Calling someone out publicly is pretty much the poster-child for friction. All of this, including your issues with not being able to call-out sellers because you have the time to dig through the internet bargain-bins, is solved with a simple PM.

    I guess I'm having problems with why you want it to be aired publicly, instead of privately. What is the benefit of that for you?



    chickenwing: You ain't right!
    Trust nobody!

  6. #6
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,356
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by mcochran28 View Post
    To each of your points- It is not rude to inform people where they can buy items for a reasonable price, however selling something for more than it is worth I agree, very rude.

    An item is worth what people are willing to pay for it. I completely agree with this one, some items are one of a kind, have faster shipping, or some other reason why they would pay extra for an item. But all buyers should be able to weigh their options. As long as the buyer is well aware of their options, it should be THEIR decision if it is worth it. Informing someone they can pick up the same item for half the price but a slower delivery time allows the buyer to choose what is important to them.

    The buyer may be recouping funds- again this is fine if the buyer is ok with the price. But would that buyer be ok with the price if they saw they could get it for half the price elsewhere? Probably not.

    The marketplace is for exchanging goods at prices agreeable to both parties. Again I agree- as long as both parties agree to a price, again the same issue is present, would you agree to a price if you knew you could get it elsewhere at a better price?

    " If you're concerned about the price of an item, then research it for yourself."
    - Exactly what this site is NOT about. We are here to help one another, NOTHING on this site is about doing it all yourself, its about reaching out for help within the community, and helping one another.

    My rant is over, I most definitely won't be playing price police, I will follow all forum rules. I still disagree with the policy, but thats how the world works!
    A lot of what you say can be done via PM's. It's just about respecting another member.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller
    Posts
    73
    My point wasnt about helping out the SELLER, it was about helping out the BUYER or potential buyers. There is no way to tell who is going to stumble onto a for sale thread and therefore the only way to inform everyone of any kind of better deal would be to do so inside of the thread. PMing the seller might make them aware they are selling their item for too high, but that doesnt stop them from doing so and also doesnt stop someone from buying that item.

    And silversurfer my point is I dont care if YOUR happy or not. You are the one selling your hammock for too much. I'm looking out for a buyer who snags your hammock only to realize he could get it on amazon cheaper. - the for sale section isnt designed so you can make money, its designed so you can pass on old items at REASONABLE prices- what is reasonable I suppose is up to the buyer.

    I do agree it shouldnt be used to link to other individuals selling it cheaper, so if billybob posted in your thread he is selling it cheaper I think that is rude. but if its on amazon, or rei, or some other mainstream website I think its in the best interest of the buyer.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,691
    Images
    7
    This issue was addressed back in the 18th century. Click: Adam Smith's Invisible Hand Theory

    And in the 20th century by Bobby McFerrin: "Don't worry, be happy!"
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  9. #9
    grannypat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the woods outside of Westminster, SC
    Hammock
    DIY, HH Exped BE
    Tarp
    Tadpole/Purple Pal
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mcochran28 View Post
    My point wasnt about helping out the SELLER, it was about helping out the BUYER or potential buyers. There is no way to tell who is going to stumble onto a for sale thread and therefore the only way to inform everyone of any kind of better deal would be to do so inside of the thread. PMing the seller might make them aware they are selling their item for too high, but that doesnt stop them from doing so and also doesnt stop someone from buying that item.

    And silversurfer my point is I dont care if YOUR happy or not. You are the one selling your hammock for too much. I'm looking out for a buyer who snags your hammock only to realize he could get it on amazon cheaper. - the for sale section isnt designed so you can make money, its designed so you can pass on old items at REASONABLE prices- what is reasonable I suppose is up to the buyer.

    I do agree it shouldnt be used to link to other individuals selling it cheaper, so if billybob posted in your thread he is selling it cheaper I think that is rude. but if its on amazon, or rei, or some other mainstream website I think its in the best interest of the buyer.
    But we DO care if Silvrsurfr is happy or not. He is a member of the community and is and should be treated with respect.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by mcochran28 View Post
    what is reasonable I suppose is up to the buyer.
    ^This should pretty much clear it up for you.

    It is the buyer's responsibility to determine if the price is fair, or not. I have a Warbonnet ElDorado which is one of less than 10 that were made. I think I paid $150 for it in 2007. If I were to list it for sale (which will NEVER happen) it would be listed for no less than $500. Is that ridiculous? Sure is! But it is mine until someone pays me what I want for it.

    Another example of this is that maybe I have some excess gear that I should maybe get rid of. I don't really want to though. So, I set my price at a mark above what it is probably worth. If it sells, I'm OK with it because I got what I wanted out of it. If it doesn't sell, I can always say I tried.

    Why, would someone not want the most they could get out of an item? If it is priced at a ridiculous amount, buyers will not buy. Assuming you stick around for a while, you'll see lots of sellers coming down from their original price mark without a single person posting "You're ripping us off. I can get it on eBay for $3 less". The free-market system certainly has its flaws, but it works very well at a market level like a small forum. Added bonus, nobody gets insulted in the process.

    We are not advocates for sellers or buyers. We simply provide a place for extra stuff to be sold and rules to eliminate well-known problems.
    Trust nobody!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •