Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    So I got a chance to go "install" the pocket-quilts in the hammock this afternoon.

I'm very pleased.

If I had it to do over again, I might have wanted each quilt to be a little wider and longer to overfill the pocket a bit (to account for the extra pocket fabric allowing the quilts to shift a little) . . . . or I'd take out some of the extra pocket material by tacking in some darts or something. The natural downside to the Clark pockets is that there's a chance for heat loss in the gap between each pocket. Maybe having the quilts be a little larger would help with that. I dunno.

Anyway, on to the pics.

Here's how the Clark pockets are setup. Mirrored velcro to keep the pockets closed.

I took advantage of this by having MrPrez sew velcro to the top of each pocket-quilt that would match up to the Clark's own velcro . . . thus holding each quilt up, preventing it from bunching in the bottom of the pocket.

Here's the body of one of the narrower quilts laying in its corresponding pocket.

And here's the pocket velcro pressed shut with the quilt sandwiched in.

Here's one side all in place, the extra green strip and extra loft of the pockets as the only give-away.

And the other side

And since the quilts are held up at the tops of the pockets, that means the insulation is up over my arms and shoulders (without a pad underneath me).

And another overall shot

Now I've gotta get out into the cold for some testing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looks very nice!
    Trust nobody!

I wondered about that as well. Maybe rather than doing a baffled pillow, make an oversized sewn through pillow so that the pocket will put a bit of squeeze on it the take care of the sewn through seam. Maybe make the 12.5 ones 14.5 and sew the baffles length-wise.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    . Maybe make the 12.5 ones 14.5 and sew the baffles length-wise.

You mean, turn the seams perpendicular to how we did them?
    My thought there is that then the down collects at the bottom of the "tubes" and doesn't hold any insulation up around my shoulders.
    (or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying)

BTW, I still can't thank you enough for doing these for me. (though there's something headed your way in the mail that I hope will help)

Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    You mean, turn the seams perpendicular to how we did them?
    My thought there is that then the down collects at the bottom of the "tubes" and doesn't hold any insulation up around my shoulders.
    (or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying)

BTW, I still can't thank you enough for doing these for me. (though there's something headed your way in the mail that I hope will help)
    Yes, that's what I meant, but now that I see the pictures you are right, the down may just shift to the bottom. So, forget that idea! Perhaps just make them like we did and make them a couple inches wider to fill the pockets good.

Glad to be of some help to you. If you want to ever redo them to make them wider that could be done. Just need a little more down and some new fabric would be all it would take. And, thanks ahead of time for the surprise that is in the mail!!!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    RAW:

Very impressive and now I have to be jealous. Just got my NX-200 and see something else I will be spending my money on.......speaking of money, how much did this cost in materials. Also, what type carabiners are those that you are using on the suspension lines?

Thanks,
    John
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    RAW:

Very impressive and now I have to be jealous. Just got my NX-200 and see something else I will be spending my money on.......speaking of money, how much did this cost in materials. Also, what type carabiners are those that you are using on the suspension lines?

Thanks,
    John
    You will need 3 yds of 1.1 ripstop nylon and 5 ounces of down. Then about 8 ft of velcro and 1 yd of no-seeum mesh. This would be enough to make the pillows slightly larger than the initial ones that RAW ordered.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    RAW, that is just awesome. Makes me wish I had a Clark Hammock and some extra DWR and down.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    You will need 3 yds of 1.1 ripstop nylon and 5 ounces of down. Then about 8 ft of velcro and 1 yd of no-seeum mesh. This would be enough to make the pillows slightly larger than the initial ones that RAW ordered.
    Well, there ya go.

And to answer your other question, those are paragliding carabiners that I bought from Utah Paragliding.

Here's my original thread about them.

so with down being so expensive why couldn't you go to a thrift shop and buy down vest and use the down from them and how did they work, I am needing something to get me down to the teens out in colorado during bow season so i figure these plus my 20 bag and a pad would probably do the trick but weight is an issue since I live out of my pack for 1 1/2 weeks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast