TopQuilt - Over My Head

I have a Go Lite 3 season Top Quilt made for people 6'. I am 5'7" and wish I had gotten the longer version. It is not quite long enough to pull over my head. I like that better than wearing a separate hood as it is easier for me to adjust heat comfort during the night.

I was about to get another quilt for the summer and was curious how others deal with this.

thanks,

Steven

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Images
    Probably not a good idea to pull a down top quilt over your head. The down will soak up all the moisture in your breath. I usually wear a balaclava if it's really cold, though I was thinking of making a fleece or synthetic loose-fitting "face bag," for lack of a better term, to keep the chill off my face.

My face doesn't like being exposed to cold temps all night so I always put something over my face. Cold weather just wrecks my skin.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images

TopQuilt - Over My Head

Personally, I like the separate hood. As SS pointed out above, condensation could be an issue. But I just don't like breathing my own exhaust. Plus, if I've been hiking all day, it doesn't smell so good under my quilt.
    Unlike SS, I like my face, at least my nose & mouth, to be uncovered even in the cold.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

+1 on the moisture issue...... If you primarily hike 2 or 3 days, every now and then, you might not see a huge difference, but longer hikes, especially in colder weather, will make you change your patterns/habits.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    My last camp out, it was chilly out. About 28. Had a fleece hat on, and a buff around my neck, and then pulled up over my face. When I got hot, or uncomfortable with my face covered, I just pulled the buff down.,,,,,,,RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Streamline
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    A face mask of some sort works pretty well. This one scares away the bears.
    Also available in olive green.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ...I was thinking of making a fleece or synthetic loose-fitting "face bag," for lack of a better term, to keep the chill off my face.

My face doesn't like being exposed to cold temps all night...
    That's me, too.

I bought this item on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=271166669106

It's perfect.
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DL Streamliner
    Tarp
    Toxaway w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB and/or HG
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

me too!

Quote Originally Posted by scbron View Post
    I have a Go Lite 3 season Top Quilt made for people 6'. I am 5'7" and wish I had gotten the longer version...
    I'm right there with you. Not sure its so much about pulling over my head as much as just having a little extra snuggle material work with. I'm 5'10 and it fits right to my shoulders so that I really have to cinch it around me some to get it to stay during the night. I suppose it technically fits perfectly, but I'd get the long if I did it again.

I find in summer I don't care about that and it works great. Its plenty warm, but vents so well it doesn't matter. I have a fleece TQ that works good for summer, but its the same weight and won't account for those chilly mountain mornings in the summer that I so enjoy.

For colder, I've got an Exped Dreamwalker with a mondo hood. In general, I don't care for hoods either, but it is a lot better than pulling a quilt over you and this one moves with me so that I never find my face in the hood like I used to with bags.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 03-29-2013 at 21:41.
    "If I weren't so weird, I wouldn't be so normal" -- scope